Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:52:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [solved]bridging an xbox 360 through pardus to connect to net using bridge-utils
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]bridging an xbox 360 through pardus to connect to net using bridge-utils  (Read 641 times)
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2010, 22:18:57 PM »

My nephew is running pardus 2009.2 on his home computer.  He has a usb wireless network adapter that he uses to access the internet.  He also has an ethernet card on the same computer that he wants to connect his xbox360 game to so that the game can access the internet through the computer's wireless interface.  Has anyone done this in pardus?  I used this outline of how to do it: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=665578  but I had no success.  The above article describes setting up a network bridge using two ethernet devices (eth0 and eth1) which I changed slightly for the wireless (using wlan0 and eth0 instead).  I was able to create the bridge,  but unable to establish a connection to the internet or to the xbox game.  After reboot,  the bridge no longer existed either.  I was just curious if any gamers on the forum might have experience with using the bridge-utils package.  Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:11:21 AM by Michiel » Logged
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 23:38:02 PM »

I have a solution that does not use the bridge-utils package as described above.  The solution is to go into the firewall manager in system settings and check the box next to "Internet Sharing".  This creates a "Internet Sharing" profile in the network manager.  Edit the connection of that profile to use the eth0 device.  My nephew uses his wireless device to connect to a wireless router and access the internet.  His wired connection eth0 then connects to the xbox.  For his computer,  here are the settitings we used to configure the internet to work for both the computer and the xbox game:

wlan0 uses 192.168.1.25 for the IP address,  255.255.255.0 for the Network Mask (there is a dropdown to select it) and 192.168.1.1 for the Gatway (use whatever the IP address is for the router).

eth0 uses 192.168.25.25 for the IP address,  255.255.255.0 for the Network Mask and 192.168.1.25 for the gateway (same IP as the wireless card that eth0 has to go through to reach the internet).

The xbox game has to be set with its own static address,  network mask and uses 192.168.25.25 (the computer's eth0 IP) as the gateway.  We also had to enter the nameserver addresses from the pardus network manager into the DNS settings of the xbox game to complete the connection.  One additional note:  we could not connect to the internet with either computer or xbox until we turned both devices on,  then connected the "internet sharing" profle,  and lastly connected the wlan0 device from the network manager.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:11:47 AM by Michiel » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: