Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:34:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Installing Canon Pixma MP250
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installing Canon Pixma MP250  (Read 9562 times)
electronic_punk

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »

I really don't know how to install drivers for this printer.

There are packages on http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010752.asp for this printer. I managed to install deb package on linux mint in one minute, but for non deb or rpm distributions there is only source package. I downloaded it and unpacked. There are so many folders and I really don't know how these drivers can be installed. Can someone help? Does anybody have such printer?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 23:06:33 PM »

Can someone help? Does anybody have such printer?
I don't have this printer but I will start  oror to compile this software without errors.
So be patient
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:48:15 AM »

I have a Canon Pixma ip3000 printer, which it appears that Canon skipped when creating drivers for it.  I was curious and gave the MP250 tar file a go,  and I now understand what electronic_punk meant by, "there are so many folders".   True, indeed!  Canon needs to work on their Install file information as to what to install first. 
My hat is off to atolboo for working on this. 

The error I got in config.log was:
"re: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */"

Regards, Lisa Marie
phineas
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:31 AM »

Unfortunately - with Linux one still needs to purchase printers carefully from a support aspect. The first link shows HP printers on the Openprinting site - 3 penquins means 100% working-http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP

The following link shows Canon printers - http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Canon The list shows some working 100% but also some as "paperweights".

Of course, that does not solve the issue for those who already have something and need to get it working. So, I put the link to show a good place to check before the next printer is purchased. Epson also has all their models in the100% category.

Pardus has the excellent HPLIP program as standard fare. And, no, I do not work for HP.

Good luck with the drivers.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »

So be patient
And while I am working on this software you could test the "free 30 day trial!" driver from TurboPrint Linux/Download.
Where: Other
Your printer(s): MP250
Prozessor architecture: Intel/AMD 32bit
En download turboprint-2.15-2.i586.tgz
To be installed with
Code:
tar -xzf turboprint-2.15-2.i586.tgz
 cd turboprint-2.15-2
 ./setup

And my first gues to install IJ_Linux_Printer_Driver_Source_320.tar after unpacking is:
Code:
cd libs
    ./autogen.sh
    make
cd ../cngpij
        ./autogen.sh (or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin)
        make
        sudo make install
cd ../pstocanonij
        ./autogen.sh (or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin)
        make
        sudo make install
cd ../backend
    ./autogen.sh or (./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin)
    make
    sudo make install
cd ../backend
    ./autogen.sh or (./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin --enable-libpath=/usr/lib/bjlib)
    make
    sudo make install
cd ../cngpijmon
        ./autogen.sh --datadir=/usr/local/share --program-suffix=mp250 --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin
        make
        sudo make install
cd ../cngpijmon/cnijnpr
        ./autogen.sh --enable-libpath=/usr/lib/bjlib
        make
        sudo make install
But remember this is only a first guess........ and investigation continues.
And maybe it will get as complicated as this Installeer-MP240-van-bron.txt script.
electronic_punk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 13:37:18 PM »

I think it's shameful that Canon provides drivers without any support. What can a person that isn't a linux geek do with this, I think nothing, They can only try to install everything that is in the driver pack, but I must say I tried to install from sources different programs about 20 times and NONE of these attempts were succesful - I always had some errors. But this is a problem for another topic Tongue

atolboo - this turboprint works! Pity it's not free. But this should be really the example how to make beginners' life easy with linux - simple interface, graphical gui, simply clicking without terminal. And works on every linux, not like deb or rpm. Kudos to turboprint makers.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 16:34:42 PM »

Agreed, electronic_punk and phineas!  My next printer isn't going to be a Canon model.  I can attest to my printer working great in Linux KDE desktop with CUPS+gutenprint drivers, except for one print job that always comes out missing some of its dots in the text - the   Los Angeles Times Sunday Crossword puzzle, which is in a flash format.  I've seen the progression of this puzzle printing out from bad, to fairly good over the past 3 years in the KDE desktop environment, and only last year it now prints perfectly in the Gnome desktop.  I should file a bug report with KDE, but it seems such a minor problem, but it's the only reason I have at least one Ubuntu Gnome distro on my computer.  I like to work on crossword puzzles!

Thanks for the install order suggestions, atolboo.  I tried installing "backend" first.

Regards, Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 18:19:31 PM by Lisa » Logged
John A
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 18:15:59 PM »

I had a Canon printer before, impossible with Linux. But I have a Samsung now. Works "out of the box" in Ubuntu, Mandriva and Pardus.
A tip if buy a printer: Smiley
http://www.find-printers.com/printers/manufacturers/pos/samsung_ml-1640
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 18:24:16 PM »

This is good to know, John A!

One clue I found for installing Canon printer drivers was found at puppy linux forum, something about CUPS rejecting backends with underscores.
We're going through a heat wave here, so I can't work outside, so instead I'm fiddling on the computer.  Grin
Lisa Marie

Edited to add:
 According to Canon Pixma Linux blog, Canon released a fix for the underscore mark problem in driver version 3.00.  I couldn't tell if this fix was carried over to version 3.2?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 17:57:52 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 14:54:15 PM »

And maybe it will get as complicated as this Installeer-MP240-van-bron.txt script.
I am very sorry  as I didn't manage to compile the driver without errors.
The script (so far) I use is in attachment Install-MP250driver-from-source(error).txt
In chapter "backendnet" the command "make" always returns the error:
*** 0 errors, 4 warnings
mv -f .deps/cnijnetprn.Tpo .deps/cnijnetprn.Po
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -O2 -Wall -I. -I./common  -L../../com/libs_bin  -o cnijnetprn cnijnetchk.o cnijnetprn.o -lcnnet -lc -ldl  -lcups
libtool: link: cannot find the library `' or unhandled argument `Map_3/cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/com/libs_bin'
make[2]: *** [cnijnetprn] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/atolboo/Nieuwe Map_3/cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/backendnet/lmonitor'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/atolboo/Nieuwe Map_3/cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/backendnet'
make: *** [all] Error 2
And whatever I try (various options for ./autogen.sh) ..... I can't prevent this error from appearing.
And in the unpacked source code there is a directory /cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/com/libs_bin
Apparently this software goes beyond my  capabilities.
The only recommendation I can give is to request a package through a bug  report at http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

* Install-MP250driver-from-source(error).txt (6.63 KB - downloaded 151 times.)
electronic_punk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 22:16:12 PM »

Well, I think that generally worse problem is that programs' makers only take care of deb and rpm distributions users. It's very likely that some rare programs are packed with dev or rpm system that makes installing a piece of cake, but other users have to compile, combine and it's sometimes, like in this situation, very hard Tongue

I think that developers of Opera web browser chose very good option. They provide files with one running script file and it can work on every linux without any installation. I recommend checking the new snapshot: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/BzzzzzZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz_10.60-6383/ - choose opera-10.60-6383.i386.linux.tar.bz2.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: