Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:03:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Registrartion of new members temp disabled
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Registrartion of new members temp disabled  (Read 1051 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »

A continuing difficult issue in moderating forums such as these is to judge which new members should be allowed and which should be rejected.
Of course a liberal policy is applied in welcoming new members.

But an increasing number of new registrants choose to provide really weird nicknames and emil-adresses, which make some of them suspect as potential spammers and so on.

But what is weird (for me, but also for someone else?) and what's not. A tough to answer question which already took me in a heavy dispute with someone who was rejected at first sight but appeared to be a normal interested forum user.

So in general, also in case of any doubt new registrants are accepted (in dutch we say "given the advantage of the doubt").

But what hits us now is a daily numerous row of registrants awaiting approval all with email accounts ending in .info domain.

The "wave" of new registrants with these .info email accounts is quite dufferent then the normal daily averages of new registrants wanting to become forum members.

I chose to disable the new registration function for a while in the hope these like-a-bot-registering-accounts will skip this domain shortly.

If anyone has a far better sugegstion on how to deal with the issue of whom to allow and whom to disallow becoming a forum member please let me know and put your suggestions here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:03:19 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 15:19:26 PM »

on registration page, there can be a little pardus or linux quiz to split interested users from spammers.

John A
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 15:42:53 PM »

Good idéa. CAPTCHA can be used to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: