Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:58:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  q(t)emu -- does it need hardware accelerated graphics?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: q(t)emu -- does it need hardware accelerated graphics?  (Read 912 times)
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:11 AM »

I've just installed qemu and qtemu on my Pardus box, and then used it to install xubuntu (maverick) as a virtual machine.

Though it worked (apart from the fact I could only get Lilo to work), it is incredibly slow (1 hour+ and it hasn't finished booting & logging in). My first guess is that the problem might be that the video card/monitor combination that I have (Nvidia 5200, 1680x1050 screen) needs the nouveau driver (Nvidia 173 won't go above 1600 in the X direction with the digital output).

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

System:  Athlon Xp 2600+, 3Gb Ram, IDE disks
Virtual image has 20GB disk, uses 1Gb ram.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:53:52 AM »

I've just installed qemu and qtemu on my Pardus box, and then used it to install xubuntu (maverick) as a virtual machine.

Though it worked (apart from the fact I could only get Lilo to work), it is incredibly slow (1 hour+ and it hasn't finished booting & logging in).
I have never used q(t)emu, so I guess that the problem is caused by qemu.
My recommendation is to test the same with VitualBox. Have a look in this Wiki page how to install VirtualBox.

(Nvidia 173 won't go above 1600 in the X direction with the digital output).

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
According to KinfoCenter I have (in my test computer) a "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] with 128MB Ram and it goes (with any driver ) to 1680x1050 without any problem.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 18:26:57 PM by atolboo » Logged
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 16:44:34 PM »

There is a virtualbox package in the main repository for 2009.2, which I have installed but:
1) I couldn't find an option to install from an ISO on disk,
2) I've not had a chance to mess with it since fixing the bad memory, that was causing both virtualbox & qemu to crash during installations.

I'll give it another go over the weekend.

[As for the Nvidia drivers and the FX5200, as I recall the proprietary driver works at 1680x1050 over VGA but not DVI, and the VGA quality on that monitor is significantly less crisp than the DVI. The resolution issue was discussed somewhere, probably in the Ubuntu forums.]
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 17:09:39 PM »

There is a virtualbox package in the main repository for 2009.2, which I have installed but:
That is correct, but the repository version does  not have all the support that the Wiki version has.
The Wiki version will automatically show a screen to mount an iso file at first start when no OS is detected inside VirtualBox.
Otherwise you can add an iso file in Settings > Storage (translated from Dutch).

[As for the Nvidia drivers and the FX5200, as I recall the proprietary driver works at 1680x1050 over VGA but not DVI,
With my card I don't have this problem.
...... and the VGA quality on that monitor is significantly less crisp than the DVI.
That is correct as you do not have a digital>analog converter in the DVI output and a analog<digital converter in the monitor..
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:35:33 AM »

That is correct, but the repository version does  not have all the support that the Wiki version has.
The Wiki version will automatically show a screen to mount an iso file at first start when no OS is detected inside VirtualBox.
Otherwise you can add an iso file in Settings > Storage (translated from Dutch).

That certainly works a lot better than qemu, thanks for the pointer.

(As regards the resolution with the Nvidia drivers, all I know is that I had the same issue with at least 4 distros.)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:41:32 AM »

That certainly works a lot better than qemu, thanks for the pointer.
Thanks for the feedback.

(As regards the resolution with the Nvidia drivers, all I know is that I had the same issue with at least 4 distros.)
Maybe the fault is in your video card
dvd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:53:35 AM »

qtemu very slow compare with virtualbox.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 14:16:59 PM »

Also have a look >here< Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: