Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 23:01:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  How does Konqueror compare to other web browsers?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How does Konqueror compare to other web browsers?  (Read 1922 times)
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 14:35:18 PM »

I have used Opera ever since switching from DOS to Windows in 2002. Since switching from dial-up to broadband 2 years, ago, I've discovered issues with Flash and Java. Every time Youtube does something to its Flash presentation, I experience glitches. Usually, I just put up with it till it goes away. Sometimes I have to switch to another browser temporarily. I like Iron, a Chrome derivative that has all the privacy compromising features stripped out, but it doesn't yet have enough functionality to use it full time; and I'm not all that comfortable with Firefox.

I like Konqueror. I like the way it feels and I like the way it combines web browsing with file managing. I never see it included in browser comparisons; so, I'm wondering what experienced users think of it. Is it outdated? Is everyone switching to more modern browsers? Or does it still have a loyal following?

Anything you have to say, pro or con, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Remember: only you can prevent forum fires!
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 19:55:46 PM »

I use Konqueror as my main browser on some machines and these are just a few thoughts:

Good:
  • Integration with file-management
  • Support for other protocols (FTP, SFTP...)
  • Handling of links to movies, images etc.

Bad:
  • Flash plugin -- inclined to go into a "runaway" 100% CPU state
  • Recognition by web sites (not really konqueror's fault but many site including gmail go to a minimal version or refuse to work). You can tell it to lie to the site but do so at your own risk.

Another concern is the state of future support, KDE now defaults to the Dolphin file manager over konqueror, and it looks likely that the WebKit-based rekonq will become the preferred browser, the current version (which is not the one in Pardus) is getting quite usable though there are rough edges. [As a personal aside here: I think that the integration of file manager & browser was a good thing and that KDE is going the wrong way in separating them].
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 22:13:00 PM »

The Pardus developers have concentrated on making Firefox the best integrated browser for internet in Pardus.
And to browse your files Dolphin is the best choice with Krusader as a good replacement.
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to let my knazar know that i will be installing new software.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 18:39:25 PM »

I use dial up and Konqueror is still my main browser of choice.  Best feature, and it is only one of a few, is the "add bookmark" by  going through the bookmark drop-down menu and placing bookmark in the selected folder of the bookmark menu tree. I find Firefox's way of adding a bookmark tedious.  I also like how one can clear the search field with one easy click.  I did like Opera for many years during the early days of the world wide web, but with so many images on web pages nowadays and javascript, Opera renders pages too slow.  I shy away from Firefox, but I do use it when I have to rearrange my queue in Netflix, as the pull and grab feature doesn't work in Konqueror for me. 
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 21:41:50 PM »

....... I did like Opera for many years during the early days of the world wide web, but with so many images on web pages nowadays and javascript, Opera renders pages too slow. ......
I can only recommend to do a test with Iron Browser+ Speed Dail extension
For more info >here<.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 19:57:57 PM »

Thanks atoboo.

I just tried out Iron and it is the same speed as when I tried Chromium - both slower than Konqueror as when I bring up altavista search engine and do a search on a subject.  I appreciate it, though!
Lisa Marie
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:05:12 AM »

Thanks Lisa.

I exported my bookmarks from Opera to Konqueror, but they don't display in an alphabetical list. I don't see any way to sort them alphabetically. Am I missing something?

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 20:00:40 PM »

Hi JoanRC,
And welcome here!

Did you try Edit Bookmarks>Folder>Sort Alphabetically?  I was just playing with it, as long as I have highlighted the folder I want to edit, it works, though it seems I have to click Sort Alphabetically twice for it to do it. 
Regards, Lisa Marie

P.S. Well, earlier today I experimented with NetSurf, and it is fast, though it is minimal, so many pages do not show up correctly.  I also tried to manually install, Dillo, another minimal browser,  but that failed as I could not correctly install its dependency, the FLTK2 version.   I'm still happy with Konqueror, so I have stopped experimenting for now.  Grin
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 22:22:38 PM »

Did you try Edit Bookmarks>Folder>Sort Alphabetically? 

I did try that. It sorts individual folders, but not the whole bookmark file itself. I may have to sort this all out by hand. If it's a one time only event, that is bearable.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been here since January. Tried out a bunch of Linuxes around October when Vista messed me up one time to often. Pardus, Mint, and Mandriva were the easiest for a newbie to install and setup; they recognized all my hardware; and have a full set of programmes to meet most users' needs.  I can understand why some distros would want you to try the generic drivers first, but for something as important as your graphics or wireless cards, if the proprietary drivers work better, why make it difficult for the newbie to find and install them, as some of the main stream distros do? If I want to mess around with generic drivers later, I can do so; but, for now, I just want my machine to work. Pardus just "feels" better and I like the fact that it was built from the ground up.

I'd forgotten about Dillo. Thanks for reminding me.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 21:11:31 PM »

Yes, I too have tried other Linux distros, and so far have come to use Pardus as my main operating system. 
I see what you mean about having to sort each folder.  Another thing I noticed is that added bookmarks are not sorted alphabetically, either.  I do recall that Opera always did a good job at handling bookmarks.

Here's two third-party applications that could replace the current bookmark style in upcoming Konqueror versions:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/kio_bookmarks?content=86516
and
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KBookmarkNG?content=14990

Lisa Marie
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 23:00:41 PM »

Oh, those two programmes look promising. Thanks.
In the early days, when I added my DOS based bookmarks to Opera, they were just appended to the bottom of the file. Opera couldn't incorporate other files well at all. I had a progrramme that could integrate bookmarks from IE, Netscape, and Opera and make them usable by all three programmes. There must be something like that in Linux somewhere, right?

I've also been looking at Rekonq, after installing the package posted by Andreas in this thread: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3330.0 . It automatically populates its bookmark file from Konqueror, which is nice. A promising little browser but does not yet have enough features to be my main browser.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 00:50:56 AM »

Smiley A bit of a laugh from me, because after posting to you I downloaded Rekonq, and am using it as I type.  Yes, how quickly it added the bookmarks from Konqueror.  It has the overall look of Iron and Chromium, and the Favourites page is like Opera's.  The plus feature is that I get no lag time when it is changing web pages as would happen with Iron and Chromium.  That made me happy.  Then I logged into Netflix and tried the drag feature in the queue.  That works as well! 

Regards, Lisa Marie
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:58 AM »

Smiley A bit of a laugh from me, because after posting to you I downloaded Rekonq, and am using it as I type. 

While investigating a high cpu usage issue, I noticed that Rekonq was using 15% of cpu while Opera was only using 1-3%. This is probably because I was running Flash videos in Rekonq but not in Opera. Then I remembered that James had mentioned runaway cpu issues with Konqueror when using Flash, and wondered if it's the same thing in Rekonq. There is a fix for this in the Pardus Wiki at http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Tweaking_Adobe_Flash_Player .

The only thing I know for sure at this point is that I have to clean out my /tmp directory by hand every 3-4 reboots or my cpu usage climbs. I watch a lot of Youtube videos.

Here's one you might like: Q: Do TIGERS like catnip?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklx3j7kgJY

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 14:02:56 PM »

The only thing I know for sure at this point is that I have to clean out my /tmp directory by hand every 3-4 reboots or my cpu usage climbs. I watch a lot of Youtube videos.
Have a look in this topic Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: