Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 21:48:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  2011 installation issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 installation issues  (Read 1944 times)
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »

Downloaded alpha iso and installed and facing some issues, hope someone can throw some pointers.

1. While installing it says 2009.2 instead of 2011 though the initial splash screen said 2011, anything wrong here?

2. Like in 2009.2 installation, user doesn't get created. Had to create manually after installation using single mode. (while on this found that the reason user doesn't get created is when the passwd that's set during installation is weak). Even though it accepts the passwd (regular or root) it doesn't work after installation.

3. Machine froze after installation so had to force reboot.

4. Machine froze and was unresponsive when fonts were changed using system settings, looks more like a KDE issue.

5. Didn't see kaptan walkthrough after installation.

6. Wireless doesn't work.

7. pisi doesn't work even when i try to update repo.

Keeps giving the following error -

System error. Program terminated.                                                             
must be string or read-only character buffer, not None                                         
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.                                                       
Use --debug to see a traceback.

in the first installation was able to update repo but wasn't able to install/remove existing packages, each time it gave the error that's listed. Subsequently i had to install again when pisi stopped working altogether, nothing worked.

Any suggestion/help would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:11:46 AM »

Forgot to mention about firefox - doesn't work when launched, shows busy cursor and then dies. Upgraded once but still didn't work.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 13:33:55 PM »

1. While installing it says 2009.2 instead of 2011 though the initial splash screen said 2011, anything wrong here?
It's only an Alpha version and as this is only cosmetic, I wouldn't pay much attention to this issue.

3. Machine froze after installation so had to force reboot.
I didn't have this problem yet and can you reproduce this behavior?
As I want to test your "2. Like..." issue, I will do some more fresh installations and maybe get the same problem.

4. Machine froze and was unresponsive when fonts were changed using system settings, looks more like a KDE issue.
Where in System Settings did you do this? I didn't find it yet.
(in P2009 I use System Settings > Appearance > Fonts)

Edit: Found in System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts Grin
And it's working OKE for me.

5. Didn't see kaptan walkthrough after installation.
The same and it's an Alpha version.

7. pisi doesn't work even when i try to update repo.
Did you try
Code:
sudo pisi up -y
Huh?
And try
Code:
sudo pisi it ddrescue -y
My result:
Password:                                                                                                                                                                                
Total size of package(s): 54.00 KB                                                                                                                                                      
Downloading 1 / 1                                                                                                                                                                        
Package ddrescue found in repository pardus                                                                                                                                              
ddrescue-1.13-7-1.pisi         (54.0 KB)100%    110.88 KB/s [00:00:00] [complete]                                                                                                        
Installing 1 / 1
ddrescue-1.13-7-1.pisi [cached]
Installing ddrescue, version 1.13, release 7, build 1
Extracting the files of ddrescue                                                                                                                                                        
Configuring ddrescue package                                                                                                                                                            
Configured ddrescue
Installed ddrescue

Forgot to mention about firefox - doesn't work when launched, ........
See http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=14134

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 15:49:52 PM by atolboo » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 16:08:20 PM »

2. Like in 2009.2 installation, user doesn't get created. ........
As I want to test your "2. Like..." issue.....
I did a new installation with user/root paasword =aaaa (I think this is very simple Grin) and didn't have any problem.
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 18:23:33 PM »

1. Yes, i do agree it's just cosmetic, but got me confused for some time since i was not sure if it was a bug in iso/yali or just cosmetic issue  Cheesy

2. Honestly i'm not sure then. With 2009.2 and 2011 had the same user login issue with simple passwords and had to resort to "single" login each time to fix it. However when i reinstalled 2011 again, this time with a strong passwd, i didn't had to do anything so made me conclude that it's something to do with weak passwd. It's just my conclusion, i could be wrong too  Wink

3. I was able to reproduce in the second instance as well, had to force shutdown.

4. Not sure then failed again for me  Huh?

5. Agree it's alpha, not an issue, just enquired  Wink

6. Anything on wireless?

7. Will try the options that you've listed, hoping it works for me too.

8. Yes, i did think it could be FF issue with that version, since beta version that i downloaded worked.

9. This is a new issue, couldn't find shutdown/restart option in start menu or in any widget. Surprisingly all other options are available (log out, suspend, hibernate etc) and they seem to be working fine as of now.

Used CLI to shutdown and even that didn't work, so finally had to throw in the towel and did a force shutdown using power off button in the laptop.

Thanks for your inputs & suggestions, will try and update soon..
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 21:15:24 PM »

2. ...... and had to resort to "single" login each time to fix it.
What exactly do you mean by "single" login  Huh?
And if you can reproduce this behavior, I can only advice a Bugreport.

6. Anything on wireless?
Network Manager isn't working for me and also have a look in the release announcement.

9. This is a new issue, couldn't find shutdown/restart option in start menu or in any widget. .......

Used CLI to shutdown and even that didn't work, so finally had to throw in the towel and did a force shutdown using power off button in the laptop.
I have it in Kick-off menu > Leave > Shutdown
What is "CLI to shutdown" Huh?
And try Alt+F2 and enter
shutdown
Code:
kdesu halt
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:31:28 AM by atolboo » Logged
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 22:49:33 PM »

I mean when you login as single user mode from grub prompt for recovery purposes (runlevel 1). Sorry i should've been more specific in that.

I think Network manager didn't work for me either. Anyway i've eth0 working so no big issues as of now.

i didn't have shutdown in Kick-off -> Leave.

Sorry again i was not more specific. By CLI i mean command prompt  Wink and typing

shutdown as root.

Will try Alt+F2 option.

Thanks.
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »

sudo pisi up -y gives

Updating repositories
Updating repository: pardus

while

sudo pisi it ddrescue -y gives

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »

What is your result of:
Code:
pisi lr

Will try Alt+F2 option.
Sorry , I made a mistake in the command.
I modified the original post.
And this is not the final solution, only a test if this function is working on your computer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:37:16 AM by atolboo » Logged
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 00:50:56 AM »

sudo pisi lr
pardus [active]

Any other way i can get it working, given a chance i would like to have re-install as the last step and without pkg manager i can't do anything, kind of catch22 situation.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »

sudo pisi lr
pardus [active]
^^^ this means you don't have any repositories installed.

Any other way i can get it working,.....
Yes......
Enter the following command in a konsole >>
For a 32-bit system:
Code:
sudo pisi ar pardus http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/i686/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y
For a 64-bit system:
Code:
sudo pisi ar pardus http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 15:32:34 PM »

This is what i get when i did that -

sudo pisi ar pardus http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/i686/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y
Program terminated.
Repo pardus already present.                                                           

sudo pisi up -y
Updating repositories
Updating repository: pardus

Looks like still some other issue  :'(
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 17:37:40 PM »

Looks like still some other issue  :'(
Yes and I am out of suggestions. :'(
The only one left is try if it's reproducible by means of a re-installation (+Media Integrity) and if yes: a Bugreport.
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 17:43:16 PM »

Which means i might have to wait for beta/release iso. I re-installed it again but still same error. Will try opening up bug report.

thanks for your help.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: