Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:48:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Retoring desktop to original
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Retoring desktop to original  (Read 2681 times)
robert

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 20:52:40 PM »

I have a way of destroyinng the desktop.    I find it quite easy to click on the wrong X and losing a part of the desktop.

I am a new user of Pardus2009.2 and no little about the Linux commands.    When I click on the wrong button and things go away I see no warnings and  find now way to restore the missing panels.    Last week I totally destroyed the desktop, partially out of frustration.   I would have those menu boxes on the screen and would click on the X to remove them.    Then I found that to remove them I should  go back to the bubble in the top right corner and click again to make the menu box go away.     I fixed that disaster with a complete install to get the desktop back.

So yesterday I have made the panel on the top left disappear and can't find the way to restore it.    When the cursor was over the panel a little sub panel would appear.    I clicked on the X and the entire Desk Top Folder disappeared.     I can not find a way to recover it.     Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the Pardus Help  doesn't seem to have much in it that would help.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 21:33:18 PM by robert » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 21:01:57 PM »

Any help would be appreciated.
To make a long story very short and reset the desktop >>>> Try this: Alt+F2 and enter
Code:
kaptan
Maybe it's of any help. Wink
robert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 21:31:16 PM »

Thank you for your response.     I tried Kaptan yesterday but did not find any way to restore the desktop.    Maybe something I missed?    I will try Kapan again if a clue is offered as to what to do other than skip through the pages.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 21:52:37 PM »

..... I tried Kaptan yesterday but did not find any way to restore the desktop.......
Try the picture bellow Shocked

* Kaptan-desktop.png (128.79 KB, 716x527 - viewed 128 times.)
robert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 23:15:44 PM »

Unfortunate but that does not restore the desktop folder.    It only seems to change the colors of the desktop and the backgrounds on the panels appear.

Thanks for the effort.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 00:28:13 AM »

Try this:
Right-click on Desktop > Unlock Widgets.
Right-click on Desktop > Add Widgets...
Drag-drop "Folder View" to your desktop.
Right-click on Desktop > Lock Widgets
robert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »

Thanks for that help.    In this case as you  described it the panel brought up is called Home and shows the Home contents.     Works fine as far as I can see.     So thanks for that help.

Now let me ask this from you.     As it was originally it was from Home  > Desktop and just showed the contents of Desktop.    So how would we do that.    I am sure it must be very similar but from a  different direction.

When I pulled up the folder view the name and  contents came with it.   I was  working off the scrolling bar that only had certain icons showing.     So if I was just looking for the 'Folder View' icon and moved it to the desktop  and then did something to copy the Desktop file or the icon on the  widgit bar, would that then create what we had originally?     Right now I am in a learning mode.

Anyway, thanks for the lead to building a 'Folder View'.
BellaPup
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:55:09 AM »

Hello Bob, and welcome!

What you need to do is right click on that "Home Folder" on your desktop, the one you just added, then go to "Folder View Settings" and click on that. You should see "Location", click on "Show The Desktop Folder, then click "OK".

That should get you back to were you were after install.

Hunter
robert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 16:03:23 PM »

Thanks Hunter.     That worked great.

Now I wonder what else I might be able to do with those folders and icons.    There just might be a lot of power hidden in this OS.     Too bad they have not developed their Help screens yet.

I see you have change your name and grown a lot of facial hair now.
BellaPup
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 17:01:49 PM »

Sure thing Bob, glad you got it worked out. This is a KDE 4 thing, I was a  little over whelmed with 4 virus 3.5 but am starting to find things little by little. I find KDE 4 like Windoze 7, pretty involved compared to Gnome and Mac but I seem to be getting a handle on it now.

You may want to check out KDE.org for more info or post here, pretty help full they are here.

I see you have change your name and grown a lot of facial hair now.

Hairy indeed  Cheesy

I took on the name from our Peek-a-poo, Arabella. She always puts a happy face on when I get home!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 18:43:17 PM »

Too bad they have not developed their Help screens yet.
I think KDE4 has too many options/features to put in a useful Help manual Wink

And to restore to the default KDE4 desktop (after you have made one big and UGLY mess of you desktop) do:
1. Open Konsole and go to the required directory by entering the command:
Code:
cd ~/.kde4/share/config/
2. Delete the files:
Code:
rm plasm* -f
3. Logout and login (or restart the computer).
4. And to apply the Pardus own features do Alt+F2 and enter
Code:
kaptan
Grin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:27:57 AM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 23:38:50 PM »

Robert, only a few days ago, I did the same thing, but I've been working on something else and was in no hurry to get folder view back.  Thanks for the question and answer to this, as I would have asked!  I've locked my widgets and screen to be safe.  Cheesy
Lisa Marie
robert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »

Thanks for the locking comment Lisa.    I don't think I did that but will check it out.    I have found the desk top to be quite readily destroyed by clicking where I should not.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »

I've locked my widgets and screen to be safe.  Cheesy

Leaving your widgets unlocked is a easy way to have your desktop destroyed by accident.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 18:54:39 PM »

I'm terrible.  I only read part of this thread, and wondered why my newly created folder said, 'Home" and didn't show my trashcan.  Then I found the section that Hunter described and now I've got my Desktop Folder back and yes, having fun with it by adding another shortcut folder for my documents and gave it a purple shade.   Grin

Oh, and forget about locking screen.  That is one button I click on by mistake when I go to the Leave button.  It always freaks me out when my screen goes black.   Shocked  So, I right clicked on it, lock/logout settings and unticked 'show lock button.  I never use it anyway.
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: