Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 14:24:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  nightly build 64bt Yali installer wants to format existing partitions [solved]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nightly build 64bt Yali installer wants to format existing partitions [solved]  (Read 2033 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2010, 19:16:34 PM »

Hi all,
I filed bug 14368 today.
Lisa Marie

----Edited to add that this bug has been fixed as mentioned recently by the maintainer, Mete.  Thanks, Mete!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 21:12:00 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 21:51:59 PM »

I could select an existing partition I want to use for installation and then used the "Edit" button to set the Format option.
And I think the partition part of Yali they selected for the nightly builds and Corporate 2 is bad compared to the one used for the Alpha (=P2009.2) version.
I hope this is changed back for the RC version.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 23:05:45 PM »

atolboo, I'm going to try again, as I think I tried your suggestion, to "edit" the partitions.  It was already set to partition both as ext4, but let me check again and take better notes...
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 23:18:07 PM »

I could select an existing partition I want to use for installation and then used the "Edit" button to set the Format option.
And I think the partition part of Yali they selected for the nightly builds and Corporate 2 is bad compared to the one used for the Alpha (=P2009.2) version.
I hope this is changed back for the RC version.

I indeed had a somewhat similar experience upon installing Corporate2 alpha in VirtualBox, it kept telling that it would erase all other partitions, which was quite scaring  Roll Eyes untill I checked that all partitions summed up to the 8GB of the VIRTUAL disk only and not my entire laptop harddrive of about 30GB.

But the YALI does ask you whether it is a problem that all partitions could be changed, bit weird.

And actually the current YALI, what is wrong with it? It works so easy and smooth, I am in for atolboo's plee to keep the old YALI, but I guess there are more technical reasons that moved the developers to adjust things?

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:40:51 AM »

Yes, Michiel, quite scaring!  That's why it took me so long to come back and post my reply as I was doing some backing up.  Grin

Still no go.

For one, it doesn't matter which of the five choices I select for, "Under which type of installation would you like:" or whether I select for storage device, sda or sdb, as clicking "Next" still shows both partitions on sda ticked under "Format".  If I select either partition and click, "Edit", a pop up appears, "Edit Partition" and the box to the left of Format As: is unticked.  The field next to Mount Point: Not Applicable in the drop down menu.
Original File System unknown
Format as, shows ext4 in the drop-down menu.  To see what other options there are in the drop down menus, I tick the box to the left of, "Format As", hoping this will have an option, "Do not format", but it just has the usual file system selections. 
In the device layout, I've tried highlighting each of the two partitions that automatically show Format ticked, to see if I can right click on them, maybe there is some option there to untick the boxes, but there is not.
Lisa Marie

Why it is automatically wanting to select the two partitions on the first hard drive and format them is the mystery bug.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 20:17:38 PM »

I don't play poker, but I called Yali's bluff, so to speak, and went ahead to install this alpha version.  I let it install the Grub to the MBR on the first hard drive where XP is located.  The summary for the actions that the install would perform did not show that sda1 and sda2 would be formatted, so I felt a bit confident that all would be well. 
After installation was finished, I got to Grub menu and clicked on XP entry, and it gave an error :
A disk read error occurred.
Press ctrl alt del to restart
So, I lost the Windows entry.  I don't have a repair disk for this particular version of Windows, event though I tried a copy of Windows 2k and in console entered, FIXMBR, it said it did successfully, but upon reboot, I now lost my Pardus grub and no way to get Windows to start.  No big deal, as I have reinstalled W XP plenty of times just to clean it out of garbage.  It was interesting in that re-installing Windows XP, when I got to partition page to set up as NTFS, I selected the original partition where XP was and I assumed it would use up the entire partition, but instead, it wanted to skip 7mb of the beginning of the disk, and install after this point.  Don't know if that is of any relavence, but thought it strange. 
But all is well with the installs, and I'm using the Arora browser that comes with Pardus 2011, another webkit browser.  The only bugs I have so far encountered was just after logging in, there was a kwin error:
Code:
We are sorry, kwin closed unexpectedly.
Details
Executable: kwin PID: 1037 Signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

and another error when I closed the users tool under System Settings.  Upon reboot and logging in, I no longer see a Users manager in the menu.
Lisa Marie

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 22:23:33 PM »

They are apparently very  with the partition part of Yali.
With Pardus-2011-Alpha-2-x86_64.iso I can now select and format already existing partition(s) for installation.
So it's going in the  direction.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 17:14:54 PM »

Grin You have a way with icons, atolboo!

That's good news.  I was beginning to think, "oh, how am I gonna test this to see if they have improved this bug?", without a fast connection to download future nightly builds.  But at least folks like you are doing so, helping the future path of Pardus.

I did notice that the Partitioning layout section of Yali installer was much like Fedora 11, (last version I tried).  I'll see if I can find a screen shot of it, in case anyone is curious.

I did a Pisi up last night, and got the 177mb of upgrades including a kernel upgrade.   I'll try and keep up with these to see how Pardus 2011 Alpha improves.
Lisa Marie

Edited to add:  I'm using this page from Fedora 11's installation guide as an example as it shows a screen shot of the Add Partition, much like is found in Yali Installer.  I did become confused a bit as to whether to specify my partition size  under the"Size" section, or "Fill all space up to", but after reading this guide, it's clarifies it a bit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 17:49:16 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 17:56:54 PM »

Some more feedback on this build, though I'm sure many of these bugs have been repaired by  now.

When I tried a second time to reinstall, it wouldn't allow me to install on a hard disk that I had formatted the entire space as Extended.  I usually do this on my second hard drive where I install Linux operating systems, as I can then create smaller logical partitions on the extended, which allows me the chance to install more partitions than if I had installed each partiton as Primary.  So, I left the entire drive as unformattable, and let 2011 Alpha install on it, and then installed XP on my first hard drive, and tried to install two other Linux OS's on my second hard drive, and some strange  things happened where the Primary partitions had a small amount of unallocated space in between, say, about 6 mb or 2 mb.  That was one error, and later I found out this effected my hard drive in a negative way.  I finished with all of my installs, booted in 2011 Alpha, and was on line for a bit, when my first hard drive started to make a clattering noise.  I booted down to shutdown, and removed the lid while it was doing so to feel which hard drive was making the noise.  It was the sda.  So, then I used Ultimate Boot Disk to check both drives, and it said, bad sector layout.  So, I decided to give up on this build.  It would be nice if I could somehow take the installer from Pardus 2009.2 and add the kernel and packages from this Alpha disk, and use it to continue playing with it, but that is beyond me. 
I also experienced the same install hang at 37% at the QT toolkit package.  I restarted Yali and after filling in the same information as before for passwords and partition layout, it installed and continued where it had left off finishing QT Toolkit and the remaining packages. 
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 20:00:32 PM »

When I tried a second time to reinstall,.......
Which Nightly build are you using Huh?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 18:05:27 PM »

2010 9 10.

That's why I mentioned that many of these bugs are probably fixed by now, I'm just using the one nightly build to try out, and it would take too long to try and download a current one before it would be erased from the server.  I'm not of  much help when it comes to testing.  Wink
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: