Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 14:07:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Can't log in - libglx.so is not loading
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't log in - libglx.so is not loading  (Read 1572 times)
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »

Greetings.

Using Pardus 2009.2 on a Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF, chip set Intel 865G.

I'm enjoying using Pardus and it was working very nicely using the integrated Intel graphics chip. but since trying to use an AGP Nvidia graphics card (NVidia 64MB AGP DVI Video Card Model P117) I am having a problem logging in.

This is how it goes:

Install the video card and connect to monitor using a DVI cable.
Log in (so everything is ok at this stage), and desktop effects, compositing etc. are still working. I don't know which driver is being used here but the driver selection was set to "Use the default driver" or something like that.

I go into system settings - display and the card is recognised. I am asked if I want to install the nvidia96 driver. The driver modules are already installed but the driver does not show up in the drop-down driver list so I install the xorg nvidia96 package.

----------------------------------------------------

I should say here that this is the second time I have tried to use this card, that's why the driver packages are already installed. The first time I tried this it went pretty much the same way. When I was asked to install the nvidia96 driver I searched for nvidia in the package manager and found three nvidia96 packages. I selected the main module to install and was offered the nvidia96 userland package as a dependancy and proceeded to install them. Initially, I think I was able to log in but then the same thing happened, after another reboot I couldn't log in. I then installed the xorg nvidia96 package to see if that made any difference but it did not. Tried the Nouveou driver by specifying it in xorg.conf, that worked and I was able to log in again but it's not usable. Anyway, after hours of messing about I somehow managed to get things back working again with the onboard Intel graphics chip.

----------------------------------------------------

Reboot and go back into system settings - display, and now nvidia96 is there in the list so I agree to use it and reboot. Can't log in. Get as far as the login screen, enter password and login starts but then throws me back to the login screen.

I uninstall the nvidia packages and try again but still can't log in.
Take out the card and connect back like it was to start with using the onboard intel graphics chip but still can't log in. Have spent hours trying different things but this time I cannot get back in.

I'll just mention that each time I reboot after making some alteration to try and fix things, I have to choose F4 - probe again at the grub screen otherwise when I get to the login screen it is something like 640 x 480 x 8 bit resolution.

According to the xorg log, libglx.so is not loading:

Code:
(III) LoadModule: "glx"
(III) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(EEE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(III) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EEE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)

Code:
locate libglx.so
/usr/xorg/std/extensions/libglx.so
/usr/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

So libglx.so is there, but apparently not being found.

Code:
lsmod | grep video:

video 19192 1 i915
output   2692 1 video

So it looks like the Intel driver is loaded.

Any clue about what to do will be much appreciated!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 13:12:52 PM »

To  have a fresh start, do:
System Settings  > Display > Devices > Configure...  > Select from the list: >
      nv or nouveau > OK > Apply
And restart your computer to activate the changes.

Try both of the above drivers and what is the result
(do not hack in your file /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 00:31:47 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but to do that I would have to be able to log in. And the nv or nouveau drivers would not help whilst trying to use the intel graphics chip.

However, since I posted, I have sorted it out.

I decided to try the nvidia card again so I put it back in and booted up but could not log in, so I installed all the nvidia96 packages and tried again. This time I was able to log in. Why? I don't know, I had been in this postion many times before and had not been able to log in, but this time it worked. I checked in the xorg log and saw that the nouveau driver was being used.

I took an image of my system and then selected the nvidia96 driver in display - devices, rebooted and could not log in. Looked in the xorg log and found this error:

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to alocate/map the primary surface!

Fatel server error:

AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Did some searching and found this:

This kind of problem typically occurs when you're using a big monitor with an old graphics card. You can solve it by deleting some of the highest resolutions of the deepest colour mode in the Screen section of your xorg.conf, or even the whole last Display subsection.

So, I played about with various settings in xorg.conf and found that the highest resolution I could use that would let me log in was:

Code:
DefaultDepth   8
SubSection     "Display"
       Depth        8
       Modes      "1024x768"
EndSubSection

That looked horrible, of course!

I uninstalled the nvidia driver packages, took the card out and hooked up to the onboard intel chip again and rebooted. This time it worked. Again I don't know why because it hadn't worked before after trying to use the nvidia driver, but I was thankful that it did. Maybe the problems were something to do with the nvidia proprietary versions of libGLcore.so, libGL.so and libglx.so. I can't know for sure, but it seems quite likely.

So the end result of all this experimentation is that I have found that I can't use the nvidia card  with the nvidia96 driver (except on a very low bit depth and resolution) and the nouveau driver is just not usable either.

Anyway, that is that. I will stick with the intel graphics chip, which works well. I was just trying to see if I could improve the performance of my machine by using a dedicated graphics card and DVI cable.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 13:05:32 PM »

.... I checked in the xorg log and saw that the nouveau driver was being used.
With the nouveau driver, what's the available resolution Huh?
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 21:04:10 PM »

Greetings.

Using Pardus 2009.2 on a Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF, chip set Intel 865G.

I'm enjoying using Pardus and it was working very nicely using the integrated Intel graphics chip.

Hello I have a Optiplex with intel 865G.
I have jerk, slow on  youtube flash video.

Have you the same problem ?

Hi there.

You got the GX270 SFF too? Mine's a P4 2.6 CPU with hyperthreading enabled and 1 GB RAM. I don't use youtube much but just watched this video and it streams perfectly on the 360p setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-CpE73o2M

I have a good broadband connection too, about 6 - 6.5 MBit
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 21:26:44 PM »

.... I checked in the xorg log and saw that the nouveau driver was being used.
With the nouveau driver, what's the available resolution Huh?

I didn't check to see all the resolutions that might be available but when I logged in it was the default for this LCD monitor: 1440 x 900.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: