Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:59:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Install Problem With Nvidia 210
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install Problem With Nvidia 210  (Read 2781 times)
BellaPup
« on: July 18, 2010, 20:17:39 PM »

Hello, I have had the same issue as this thread from Peter:
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3402.msg17290;topicseen#msg17290

I am using the same PCIe graphics chipset, a GeForce 210 but got things working the same way I had on an older AGP card. In the boot loader for the installation as well as for the first boot into the installed system, I had to set the Graphical Display (F4) to Fail Safe and I set Video Mode (F3) to something like 1024x768. Then using Pisi I installed xorg-video-nvidia-current.

But.. In Display Devices I still get :

Unknown Model
Nvidia Corporation

As I mentioned, I installed xorg-video-nvidia-current, There is also:

module-nvidia-current
module-pae-nvidia-current
xorg-Video-nv

What is the difference, which one is the official Nvidia drivers?

Thanks-
Hunter
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 22:41:07 PM »

Where did you get the information that "xorg-video-nvidia-current" is the right driver for the GeForce 210?
And for me it's now time to go to bed and I will try to solve this problem tomorrow..
BellaPup
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 22:45:11 PM »

Only that it worked after I rebooted.

module-nvidia-current did not, unless I missed something with it.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

module-nvidia-current did not, unless I missed something with it.
As "module-nvidia-current" is a dependency of "xorg-video-nvidia-current"  you should not do anything with "module-nvidia-current".

Did you follow exactly the instructions as can be seen in the two pictures in >THIS TOPIC< ?
BellaPup
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 17:25:17 PM »

OK- My setup resembles that of Nvidia2 from your link.

So all is well except the "unknown model", same as in the thread from Peter.
In System information I noticed : Screen--- Unknown model [nVidia Corporation].
The graphic card is" Nvidia PCI-Express G210-512MB", a card about half a year old. In the old PC I had " Nvidia PCI-Express 7300S-256 MB, which did allright with P 2009.2.

The fact that  I needed to start in "fail safe" video mode and I never saw the window nvidia1 from your link, is connected to Pardus not knowing what this card is. I will see about filing a bug report. This card works fine and is properly detected in Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva and Mint.

Thanks
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 21:13:17 PM »

............ and I never saw the window nvidia1 from your link...........
Maybe the GeForce 210 is not in the script of Display-Devices (System Settings) Huh?

To test this, switch back to the "nv" driver (look at << in Nvidia3.png).
Log-out>Log-in to restart the X-server (a reboot isn't necessary but doesn't harm).
And as soon as you select System Settings > Display  > Devices [1] a pop-up window [2] should appear (if GeForce 210 is in the database)
As the nVidia driver is already on the computer this pop-up window is different from this Nvidia1.png.

* Nvidia3.png (32.79 KB, 447x282 - viewed 195 times.)

* Nvidia4.png (92.95 KB, 652x586 - viewed 183 times.)
BellaPup
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 00:37:40 AM »

Yep, I get this pop up window (nvidia3) asking if I want to switch to Nvidia-Current, but the card is still shown as "model unknown" Huh?

Thing seem to work ok anyways. .
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »

Yep, I get this pop up window (nvidia3) asking if I want to switch to Nvidia-Current,
As far as can judge this means that GeForce 210 is in the database.
And I expect that if you repeat the test and also remove the xorg-video-nvidia-current package in Package Manager, you will also get Nvidia1.png.

......... but the card is still shown as "model unknown" Huh?
My opinion is that this a good reason to write a Bugreport.

Thing seem to work ok anyways. .
As reference have a look at >nx6200ax2.png< (3D wordt ondersteund = 3D Supported)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: