Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:35:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  [solved] Pardus 2011 Beta - Plasma desktop continous crash loop
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Pardus 2011 Beta - Plasma desktop continous crash loop  (Read 2595 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2010, 21:36:25 PM »

Hi all,

I checked Bugzilla for this particular bug, but wasn't able to find it, thus far.

(I must say, I was impressed with the look of installer layout!)
Upon initial log in, I am able to do so with no problems.  Kaptan started after a flicker of a another  window popped up and disappeared (I think it was for setting up network DHCP?-I don't use it).  Kaptan went smoothly, and I noticed my clock settings were off, which I knew my BIOS clock was wrong after the recent time change, so after having a quickl look around in the new Pardus, I rebooted to correct BIOS time.  Did that, I got to log in screen, and entered my password and it started to boot into KDE4 desktop, but then shortly fades to  black and a KDE error window appears:
Executable: kdeinit4
and I hit stop or whatever the button choice is to c lose the crash handler, and it starts to show the desktop again, then down it goes again to a black screen with a crash handler window with same kdeinit4 error. 
If I am able to get console while it is going through this coninous loop, I can glimpse in the output that scrolls past,
Code:
KCrash: Application 'Plasma Desktop (I think?)' crashing ...
 KCrash: Attempting to start / usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
 sock_file = / home/me/.kde/socket-pardus2011/kdeinit4__0

I've tried logging in display-safe mode, but it still happens.  I am only able to log in via console, then switch user and enter root password and no problem.

kdm.log shows:
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia_current
resize called 1280 1024
and
error setting MTRR (base = 0xd1000000, size = 0x00e00000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

I see no actual errors in var/log/xorg, but there is a lot of nouveau outputs.  Interesting, as this Pardus version  came with nVidia installed.
Oops, wait a minute. Since I am in desktop as root, I just clicked on nVidia X server settings and it says "You do not appear to be using the nvidia X driver. Please edit your x configuration file..."
Hmmmm.  I didn't get that message when I first glanced at it when I logged in for the first time as user.
Sorry, rambling here.  It says I should run nvidia-xconfig as root.
I will try that and see if I can get a normal log in as user, though I would prefer it if I could use the nouveau drivers.  I don't really see where I can select which  display driver I would like, as I did with Pardus '08 and '09. 
Regards, 
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 16:42:05 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 00:50:45 AM »

Since it was beyond me, and Beta versions are test versions, I went ahead and reinstalled since I knew i could at least deter this problem upon initial first log in. Sure enough, I have just finished with Kaptan wizard, and have no 'negative feedback loop', so to speak.  I will do a pisi up and install the updates, which is quite a bit!  I'll let all know if this solves this particular bug.

Interesting to note that I recall having display problems in past that only show themselves after logging in after the first initial log in, and not just with Pardus.  I wonder what changes occur after the first log in, or is the first log in part of the install process?  Just curious.  Later I will write up my impressions of the installation.  Very nice!
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 16:06:15 PM »

I checked Bugzilla for this particular bug, but wasn't able to find it, thus far.
I have been busy with THIS and THIS and haven't  ed into your long story 
Maybe you are looking for http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=14465
And I will continue  ......
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 19:35:31 PM »

Ah, yes I can imagine you have been busy!  That is fine.   I understand fully that Beta mean buggy.

If only I can get the required updates downloaded, as this is latest problem.  If I succeed, maybe this bug has been solved by now.

Yesterday while doing updates, I did some searches on problem and came up with similar ones.  The one you shared isn't quite like mine, as the only things that I did when I first logged in was use Kaptan, and I chose default settings for all, and then went into System Settings and looked at Date and Time, but didn't change anything there because I realized it was my BIOS clock that was wrong, so that is when I logged out and went into BIOS, then started up Grub and when I logged in the second time as user (I have admin rights), that is when the normal desktop would appear, then the bottom panel would float up and the whole screen would turn black, and the crash handler window would show and then a few seconds later, it would try to show the desktop again, but would only appear for a  few seconds before crashing again, and repeat.

Here are similar problems, of which some say QT version is wrong for particular KDE4x, or try reinstalling QT as it has something to do with widgets getting updated upon logging in (files plasma-desktoprc and/or plasma-appletsrc),  or disable networkmanager plasmoid, as the latest version isn't quite ready.
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/SuSE/2009-07/msg01251.html

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=59259

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=86043

....back to getting that stubborn package, nvidia-current  Cheesy

Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 16:41:16 PM »

Well, I can happily say this has not happened after my second log in.  Smiley

I spent a couple of hours manually installing the packages PiSi had cached to be installed since I could not get past the retrieval of xorg-video-nvidia-current server problem.  Since PiSi was stuck, I tried "Configure Pending Packages", though not sure what this command is supposed to do, but i guessed that it would install the packages already cached, but it didn't.  So then I went into the package folder of cached packages and right clicked on package, select "Open With Package Manager", but that did nothing.  This is usually my manual way of installing as it will ask for administrative password.  What I ended up doing was in command line:
sudo pisi it package name--reinstall
with each package cached.  PiSi was a big help in that it would also do the dependencies that were also cached, so I didn't have to do all 274 packages.  This also included baselayout, qt, python, xlrunner, modules, and kernel.  After doing that, I did
sudo pisi up
and was able to download a few more packages and then manually installed those, and did another sudo pisi up, and PiSi hung on JRE download.  I figured I was safe to log out and turn off the computer.  It needed a rest.  Grin
After a good night's sleep  Wink I booted up and was able to log in with no crash loop.  This is a relief for I want to play more with this Beta version.  I was afraid I would not be able to.

The message in kdm.log still appears:
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia_current
and I will assume that means that the nvidia driver is not installed. 
I also get the following error in xorg.log:
Code:
[    16.842] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[    16.842] drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
[    16.842] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
[    16.842] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[    16.842] drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
[    16.842] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 9
[    16.842] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
[    16.842] (II) [drm] nouveau interface version: 0.0.16
[    16.842] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[    16.842] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
[    16.842] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[    16.843] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
[    16.844] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

but that is for another post, and I will first look into it and search bug reports for similar problem.
Regards, LIsa Marie
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 18:42:42 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 21:19:25 PM »

Today I did a new installation of P2011Alpha2 (in order to get the maximum amount of updates)
After this a "sudo pisi up -y" (2x) resulted in 883 updates (Total size of package(s): 637.61 MB).
And a heavily overloaded repo  http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/ gives a max. dowloadspeed of ~240 kb/s. << the update+installation takes ~1.5 hr
(My provider gives me a max of 1800 kb/s @ 20€/mnd)
After a restart I have a fully updated P2011Beta.
My video card is a nVidia  N210-MD512 and can handle the nvidia_current driver (in P2009).
And so far everything is OK. Cheesy

atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $ lsmod | grep nvidia
atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $ lsmod | grep nv
atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $ lsmod | grep nouveau
nouveau                      417837  3
ttm                               56512  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper            28725  1 nouveau
drm                             190923  5 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit                     4770  1 nouveau
video                             21041  1 nouveau
atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $
shows that the nouveau driver is used.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 16:37:42 PM »

That is good to hear, atolboo. 

I am still stuck with this bug, though it only seems to effect me.  I thought maybe I'd ask if the package could be e-mailed to me, but this is probably not the best way to solve this bug as it would be a go around, and, it's possible the package file will be overwritten if I try to use PiSi to install it, or it just won't install it. 

I tried PiSi Package-Manager GUI for the first time yesterday, and whenever I click on "Check for Updates" the error, "Network Error, please check your network connections and try again".  Maybe the two are related, though I can do an update via the command line.

I'm sure the Pardus folks are working on all of these and there will be more updates that will solve these sticking points.
Regards, Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 21:55:42 PM »

I am still stuck with this bug.........
I find it very strange that you have an internet provider that cuts off downloads above 6.9mb (as stated in Comment 9).
And to be honest, I don't expect the developers of Pardus to react on this problem, which are caused by the internet provider.
You could go in Firefox to http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/ , select the wanted package and choose "Download file".
(the general repo-address is http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/)
And after downloading the package it can be installed in Dolphin, which will start the Package Manager.

From Comment 8:
unless I do them one by one manually, but this can cause dependency problems.
I don't think so, as Package Manager (pisi) will look in the cache /var/cache/pisi/packages for the dependencies.
And if they are not there will start downloading them from the repository.

My advice: Give it a try
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!
Atolboo, that is the strange thing about this.  I did try that.  With Firefox, I tried yesterday to retrieve it with FF download manager and it stuck right at 6.9mb, so I paused it, waited a few seconds, resume, but it would not resume.  I then disconnected and reconnected my connection and tried again and it would not resume.  So I again tried with Firefox browser, and showed the 6.9mb that I had gotten from yesterday and when I hit resume, it started over from the beginning and stuck again at 6.9mb.  The only other thing I could try was try open nameservers, which I tried two difference ones, (from Google and from OpenDNS) and still the same stall point.   

You're right about the latter comment.  I now have all updates installed except for the nvidia-current one.  Just a few minutes ago I did a sudo pisi up and I have some more to download tonight: cursor-theme-oxygen-black.  cursor-theme-oxygen-white,  cursor-theme-oxygen-zion,  kdebase-wallpapers, kdebase-workspace  kdm, skanlite,  and of course, xorg-video-nvidia-current Wink

I assumed it was a problem with the server they have the nvidia-current on, but you are right that it could be my isp, but then again, I don't understand why it would stick at same spot on just this one package.  It did stall on Sun-JRE package, but I was able to get it the next day.  Maybe it is just with third-party packages.  I still think it is a problem with pisi because as some of those bugs reports complained the package download would stall, and not resume, and that the package would get overwritten, (start all over) which has nothing to do with the ISP.
I'm sure their servers are running at full speed with the addition of 2011 Beta.
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »

Maybe it is just with third-party packages.  
I don,t think it has anything to do with the third-party, as this only means that Pardus doesn't have the source code.
The package is made by the Pardus package builders and transferred to the server, after which a new pisi-index is generated.

I'm sure their servers are running at full speed with the addition of 2011 Beta.
I don't know how they maintain the Pardus server(s) and this means the behavior can change any moment.

And as I don't know (in detail) how FF does the job, I can only show the result of wget on sunday 21 nov 09:45 CET
atolboo@asrock Weg $ LC_ALL=C wget http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi
--2010-11-21 09:37:11--  http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi
Resolving packages.pardus.org.tr (packages.pardus.org.tr)... 193.140.100.215
Connecting to packages.pardus.org.tr (packages.pardus.org.tr)|193.140.100.215|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 13567260 (13M) [application/x-pisi]
Saving to: `xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi'

100%[=======================================>] 13,567,260  1.04M/s   in 10s    

2010-11-21 09:37:21 (1.25 MB/s) - `xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi' saved [13567260/13567260]
See also Download_xorg-video-nvidia-current.png
The maximum download speed of my isp is in  Download_max.png

By the way: There is a mirror in the Netherlands with the result:
atolboo@asrock Weg $ LC_ALL=C wget http://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2011-devel-x86_64/xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi
--2010-11-21 10:39:44--  http://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2011-devel-x86_64/xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi
Resolving ftp.surfnet.nl (ftp.surfnet.nl)... 192.87.102.42, 192.87.102.43, 2001:610:1:80aa:192:87:102:42, ...
Connecting to ftp.surfnet.nl (ftp.surfnet.nl)|192.87.102.42|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 13567260 (13M) [text/plain]
Saving to: `xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi'

100%[=====================================>] 13,567,260  1.70M/s   in 7.7s    

2010-11-21 10:39:52 (1.68 MB/s) - `xorg-video-nvidia-current-256.53-34-p11-x86_64.pisi' saved [13567260/13567260]
See also Download_surfnet.png
This mirror is synchronized with the Pardus servers every ?? hours.
I have detected a synchronization with the P2009 repo within 2 hours (<<< this not a guaranty Grin).

* Download_xorg-video-nvidia-current.png (17.79 KB, 453x225 - viewed 164 times.)

* Download_max.png (21.56 KB, 453x226 - viewed 137 times.)

* Download_surfnet.png (16.04 KB, 453x228 - viewed 142 times.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 13:03:05 PM by atolboo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: