Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:26:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Review of Pardus 2011 beta
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review of Pardus 2011 beta  (Read 614 times)
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/pardus-2011-beta-review/

A nice review- "Pardus 2011 Beta Review – the most exciting distro of the year?"
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 18:46:23 PM »

Thanks, andyb! 
I wrote down some of my impressions as I was pleased with the results that team Pardus has done thus far:

After an initial test of Pardus 2011 Beta nightly build from mid-October, where I had problems with Yali wanting to overwrite an existing partition, I once again was eager to try a  more recent release, the Beta version.  I copied the mid5sum file and burned the ISO at 2x. 
Now for install.  It was flawless upon inserting disk and starting up from dvdrom drive.  The first look is always exciting and I found the steel gray boot screen very eye-catching.   in previous versions of Pardus, the boot colours were more whimsical and bright, but now the feel of artwork is professional, like you'd expect from a corporate edition. 

Once at GPU license agreement page, the look is very nice, continuing with the steel gray, and faded curved lines and such to make up the look of the boot screen.  The Pardus icon is centered, with a shadow beneath each.  Nice touch.

Another nice colour touch is the burnt orange when one clicks the Next button as well as the progress bar during file installation.  When I got to the language choice I noticed the fonts were very easy to read compared to any installer I have used.  Larger fonts means I don't need my reading glasses.  When I got to the partitioning section, I chose manual install and there appeared two nice looking hard drive icons, Yali asking me to select which one to install Pardus.  I chose the second one of my system setup.  The next page shows a closed tree of the two hard drives I have, sda, where Windows is located, and sdb, where I have two other Linux OS's.  I expanded the tree for sdb and selected an empty partition I already had sized.  I then chose Edit, and ticked Format and chose Ext 4, but I could not choose a "Use As" selection, so I clicked, Okay.  Closed that window.  I had to re-expand the partition tree as it closes after you click Okay on the Edit window. I could see Ext 4 was selected for file system format. I had to click Edit again, and then, Use As, where I could then choose "/" for Pardus install.  It would have been nice to have done both actions for Format type and Use As, while I had the Edit window open.  I then clicked Next and the Summary page showwd:
Partition Settings
Manual Partitioning Selected
create Format ext4 on partition sdb5 (id#)
create Format ext4 on partition sdb5 (id#)

I don't know why it shows this twice, but maybe this little glitch has been fixed in recent  nightly builds.

The rest of the install went nicely as I let Pardus install Grub to master boot record of sda where Windows was located. 

Edited:  After file/package install was in progress, the screen went blank and I thought I'd lost VGA  output.  Moving the mouse brought it out of sleep/screensaver type of mode.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 15:10:30 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: