Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 20:27:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Tools for Video driver and multiple desktop activities.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tools for Video driver and multiple desktop activities.  (Read 727 times)
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2010, 23:12:14 PM »

Can anyone recall/find where the following have gone:

1) The tool for selecting a video driver (e.g. forcing a particular selection from nvidia, nouveau and nv), I'm sure there used to be a select-driver option in the system settings -> display menus.

2) The tools for selecting "different activity of each desktop", again it's been a while but I'm sure there used to be a menu option somewhere that allowed you to zoom the desktops and then there was a set of options to do that, but right now I've lost the zoom menu item.

I know this isn't Pardus-specific as I've also looked for them on Kubuntu  and can't find them there either.

mdiegi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »

Hey,
in P2009.2 or P2011 Beta?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 15:34:06 PM »

At current point in updates for my system using Beta for 64 bits 2011, there remains no selection for display drivers.  I assume it will be in a future update.

I have an nvidia graphics card, and since nvidia-settings is installed, I ran it in CL, and it told me I wasn't using the nvidia driver, and to run nvidia-xconfig as root.  I did that and lost my display at boot up.  I believe it is because there remains no nvidia driver at moment, though there is nvidiafb (framebuffer driver). 

To get my display back I booted up in safe mode, entered username and password, switched to root, and ran:
mc
which started midnight commander.  I was then able to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that the nvidia-xconfig command had generated.  I changed Device Driver back to "nouveau", save, and rebooted.
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 16:32:09 PM »

Sorry I forgot to say: I'm running 2011 Beta.

For the drivers, it decided to use the NVIDIA driver and that doesn't support the resolution of the monitor (the 173 driver for 5200 series cards won't go above 1600 pixels in the x-direction) so I wanted to force Nouveau, preferably by a less brutal means than uninstalling nvidia173.
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »

Partly solved: The setting for different activities for each desktop is in the pager widget, not the system settings nor the activities menu
  • Right-click on the pager
  • Select "Pager settings"
  • Go to the Virtual desktops selector
  • Select "Different widgets on each desktop"

Not that discoverable but it is there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: