Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 00:02:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Printer = Brother MFC 3240-c
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Printer = Brother MFC 3240-c  (Read 4550 times)
robert

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2010, 16:03:09 PM »

Is there any of the offered Brother printers supposed to be able to drive this printer Brother MFC 3240-C?     I have tried different combination but no luck so far.

If none will cover this printer I will see if I can down load and install from Brother files.   

I may need some help with this after I get the files downloaded.    Would prefer the easier way of just clicking on a printer with a common driver.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 19:21:31 PM »

Have a look in:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-3240C
And did you already try to install this printer in System Settings > Printer Configuration
Maybe the driver is already present in Pardus.
robert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 22:27:48 PM »

Thanks for your response.    Yes I have been using the System Settings>Printer Configuration.     That was the reason for my question.     If anybody knows of one of the many choices shown for Brother Printers will enable mine I would like to know which one it might be.    There none shown that is near the number of my machine.    Each attempt I make I get warnings about changing all my settings.    Print self test never works.    Very confusing.

Thanks for the links to Brothers download files.    I just need to find which ones to download to work with this program.    There are just two to choose from but I don't know enough right off so I will read up on that first.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 23:43:42 PM »

Tomorrow I will try to a PiSi package for this printer.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 17:30:20 PM »

Well here is the result of 2 days of    (and leaned a lot of new things about PiSi.)

Thank to the following links ( and the contents of already existing PiSi packages and rpm packages)
https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/ozan/applications/printing/brother-mfc210c/
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=7783#c12 (+ attachment)
Thanks to >LF<

Details can be viewed in http://www.pardususer.de/index.php?action=repository&dir=/sandkasten/atolboo/Brother-MFC3240C

The driver can be installed (in console) with the following command:
Code:
sudo pisi it http://pakete.pardususer.de/sandkasten/atolboo/Brother-MFC3240C/brother-mfc3240c-1.0.2-1-1.pisi -y
and after the installation the installed driver can be removed (including all installed files) in Package Manager

And I am anxious waiting for the test results of this driver
(if this one isn't doing the job, I have another idea waiting for the next version.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 17:13:18 PM by atolboo » Logged
robert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:28:52 AM »

My apologies.     I thought I had posted a thankyou yesterday but I don't see it tonight.

So once again thank you for your two day effort.    I will certainly take time to read and study what you have posted.    I will also ask for more guidance if needed.    Then with the final solution working I will report success for all to see.

I also added that it may not be immediate as I have some priorities that must be taken care of first.    So I will try to squeeze this effort in as I can.

I also have a big problem that will slow me down a bit.     My eyes are failing.    My left eye sees double and my right eye goes from OK to out of focus.    Sometimes I end up with my face on the screen to read.    It all varies so I have an appointment with an eye surgeon coming soon.   But with Xmas there are so many appointments being scheduled for school kids, and with the office days off, that my schedule is in January.    Except for any possible cancellations where they might call me.

Not begging for sympathy, just stating what is going on right now.

I think growing old is exciting.    I get to meet a lot of nice people.    Nurses and doctors and receptionist and other patients.

Thanks for your effort and I will respond as soon as I can.

Robert
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »

I think growing old is exciting. 
I am 62    and keep on    with Pardus.
(and sometimes it ends with  )
robert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 14:11:46 PM »

OK, my first question is this.     What I saw in your response was a lot of writings and posts in the first links, but what to do?    In the next links it is all in German(?) and again what to do?

So I am very confused at this moment.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 15:04:48 PM »

What I saw in your response was a lot of writings and posts in the first links, but what to do?
The information in these links is only additional information and you don't do anything with these links.

In the next links it is all in German(?) and again what to do?
The same (as above) applies to this link. (and yes it's German and my native language is Dutch, so I might make some English mistakes)
(this is the place where the driver and it's files how to make it are stored)

So I am very confused at this moment.
Here is the manual on how to install the driver in Pardus.

1. Open a Konsole (Terminal) (can be found in K-menu > System)
2. Enter the following command (with select text >right-click>copy and in Konsole right-click>paste)
Code:
sudo pisi it http://pakete.pardususer.de/sandkasten/atolboo/Brother-MFC3240C/brother-mfc3240c-1.0.2-1-1.pisi -y
+ <enter> to start the installation.
3. You will be asked to enter the root(system administrator) password +<enter>.
    (what you are entering doesn't appear on the screen!)

And when no mistakes are made, the driver will be installed and after installation the console can be closed.

4. Open System Settings > Printer Configuration > New Network Printer > etc
         (if everything is 100%, your printer should be shown in this screen)

I hope this description will enable you to install the driver.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 15:14:38 PM by atolboo » Logged
robert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 17:23:19 PM »

Thanks for your feedback.    I was hoping it would all bread down to something as simple as you just posted.    Will try it later today.

My grand father was from Germany and came to the US around late 1800's.    He never carried the German language into his family so I know nothing about it.    I think he should have carried more of his heritage with him.

My son learned German in school and has spent many years in Germany.    In fact he is in Germany today.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 17:31:57 PM »

And here is an easier manual on how to install the driver in Pardus.
(but this one might not work always as this depends on the setting (adminstration) for the user)

1. In Firefox select this >>LINK<< and mark "Open with Package Manager" + OK.
    (brother-mfc3240c-1.0.2-1-1.pisi will now be installed)
2. Open System Settings > Printer Configuration > New Network Printer > etc
         (if everything is 100%, your printer should be shown in this screen)

..... carried the German language into his family so I know nothing about it.
By the way: I don't live in Germany. I live in the Netherlands and my native language is Dutch.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 22:17:28 PM by atolboo » Logged
robert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 20:55:37 PM »

I tried you latest method first.

MFC 3240C

Printer self test:
There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'Client error document format not supported'.

No print.

Then I tried the console with your first method.

MFX 3240C CUPS v1.1
Printer status: Processing

And it never stopped processing and I never got the status and test boxes.

So I then tested with Open Office.

Text document and short statement.    Open Office recognized the printer.    Clicked on print and got no print.    I checked the printer status box and there was a file waiting but it did not go to the printer.

I did not mean to neglect your home.    Sorry, I was just talking about my connection with Germany.    As I remember it your country is just west of Germany.    I would be surprised if my son has not visited there in his European journeys.   Holland has a lot of history about its past and the way it handles the sea.

So thanks for your help so far.   I hope my inputs will help you to understand what is not working correctly.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 21:45:36 PM »

I tried you latest method first.
and
Then I tried the console with your first method.
It doesn't make any difference which method you use for installation.

Printer self test:
Don't use the "Printer Self Test" button ( I get the same error with my fully functional Canon printer)
Test the printer with the "Print Test Page" button in the same Settings tab window.
What's the result of this test
Until this test is working, there is no need to use any other program to test the driver.

And I am also in the process of making
(if this one isn't doing the job, I have another idea waiting for the next version.)
^^^^^ this version.

As I remember it your country is just west of Germany.
To be more accurate, it is >here< and you can zoom out/in to get a broader overview of the location.
robert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 18:25:06 PM »

Well, it has happened again.    I thought I had left a post on here but when I come back it is not here.    Maybe I am hitting the wrong button on the bottom.   So here it is again.

And I am also in the process of making
Quote from: atolboo on December 16, 2010, 09:30:20 AM
^^^^^ this version.

I will be waiting for the newer way to load the printer information.

Sunday, 19 Nov 2010

Startup of Pardus in process.
Printer started and 'Printer Test Page' is produced.   This was ordered yesterday.    It was printed under CUPS v 1.3.x

Next to the 'Printer Configuration Panel'.
Printer model: Brother 3240C CUPS v 1.1
Printer status: Idle - /usr/lib/CUPS/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC3240C failed.

Clicked on 'Change', selected 'Brother', click on 'Forward', scrolled to 'MFC 3240C, click on 'Forward', 'Us the new PPD (Postscript Printer Descriptions) as is' button selected.   Click on 'OK'.    Now back to 'Printer Configuration Panel'.

I no longer get the test page with the buttons to 'Printer Test Page', 'Printer Self Test', etc.

Thanks for the map link.

EDIT TO ADD:   Now in afternoon.    I decided to try printing from Open Office text.   So a few words and some colors then print.    It did print what I had on the screen.    So it is real close to being correct.    Just wondering, based on what I posted earlier if those test operations are really needed.    I did have a warning flashed on my screen but then it printed.    The warning said 'There was a problem processing the document 'untitled' job 10.'
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 23:24:59 PM by robert » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 14:57:49 PM »

To test this ^^^ version.

1. In Firefox select this >>LINK<< and mark "Open with Package Manager" + OK.
    (brother-mfc3240c-1.0.2-2-2.pisi will now be installed  and the files from brother-mfc3240c-1.0.2-1-1.pisi will be replaced by the new version)
And if the printer has already been installed in System Settings > Printer Configuration > ... do:
2. In Firefox goto http://localhost:631/printers/ and select Print Test Page.

And to be on the safe side repeat step 2. after a restart of the computer.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 22:17:51 PM by atolboo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: