Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 14:22:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Let Pardus become #1
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let Pardus become #1  (Read 1765 times)
trixon
« on: January 08, 2011, 20:20:36 PM »

Is it possible to change the link for Let Pardus become #1 in the header?
Today it is http://distrowatch.com/pardus
Distrowatch toplist is not a popularity contest nor is it a way to become #1.

I would like to change it to
Let Pardus become #1 http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

What do You think?
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 20:43:39 PM »

I agree and have already adjusted the News header above  Cheesy Cool

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
trixon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 20:45:39 PM »

Wow, that was fast, Great!
John A
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »

I hope Pardus can be among the top ten in Distrowatch list some day. Smiley
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

I hope Pardus can be among the top ten in Distrowatch list some day. Smiley

yeaj, but then as a spin-off of all work and effort put in (autonomic growth) and not as the result of a beauty-contest or a popularity test in which hundred-thousands of people echo each other as a group of sheep  Grin

John A
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »

I agree. But I think the only thing so far that have hold Pardus back from the top ten is the relative small software repo compared to the other distributions. If you read reviews and comments in other forums.
If it was near like PCLinuxOS in that matter, I think it have good chans to became a hit. Smiley

So I hope a lot to Pardus 2011.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »

Well I think even more withholding Pardus popularity is the lack of english-laguage based news / e-zines. The forums are ok, and some Pardus user communities (like in Germany or France or Sweden) do a terrific good job, but the most interesting pages "close to the fire" (i.e. the Official Pardus website, Planet Pardus and the http://www.ozgurlukicin.com/ website that provides daily news but in turkish only) do not provide english pages or are updated far less ferquently then the turkish ones. When you compare e.g. Planet Pardus to its turkish equivalent the difference is striking.

Now Google Translate can be your friend in some circumstances but it is not ideal.

In other words, marketing outside the native-Turkish coimmunity is not high on the priority list.

However investing in good quality operating systems can pay out in the end...!

The demand for far more translations of news to english has passed this forum already quite some times, but no one has yet jumped in to this...  Sad

However popularity should not be an objective or goal by itself, should it?

The community (also in these forums) is ok and helpfull though still dependent on few people, hopefully in time more people that come across Pardus will stick to it and enter these forums, the more co-creation and co-experiences the better.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:52:28 AM by Michiel » Logged

John A
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »

I write a bug report (request) about this thing for a long time ago:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=12797

But I dont realy know how they will deal with it. So be free to add comments or suggestions there to. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:58:40 AM by John A » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »

E.g. when you open the January issue (PDF) of the e-zine http://www.ozgurlukicin.com/e-dergi/

you notice although it is in Turkish quite some funny facts to notice, things that are there but you were not aware of and things that make Pardus life more fun.

So in this ezine I read about a PISI package present in 2009 repo that is the Java version of the classical boardgame Risk (also called risk in the repo), and I read about the PISI package Clementine which appears to be a fork of Amarok.

Those things are nice to know and be noticed of, however you will have to get after the news by yourself and it is not coming to you in english. Nvertheless, perhaps the good part is that it increases curiosity  Cheesy Grin

You want to know what these turkish texts means don't you ?  Wink

John A
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »

Yes it would be nice if the magazine was in some kind of English version to.
I think it would benefit Pardus in general if they get a larger userbase around the world.
More who use and test it, write bugreports and so on.. And at the end a better product.

They actually got a English official forum:
http://www.ozgurlukicin.com/forum/english/

But its not so easy to find and not so active I think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:26:36 AM by John A » Logged
trixon
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 15:19:35 PM »

I agree. But I think the only thing so far that have hold Pardus back from the top ten is the relative small software repo compared to the other distributions.

One can not just compare package count from distro to distro.
Take kdesdk for example, in Ubuntu, kdesdk is a meta package, depending on many others, while in Pardus, kdesdk contains all of the programs in one package. If that is good or bad is a matter of taste I guess.

If you really miss a program, make a good request for it, tell them what it does, url, including links to source code, then the package count will grow.

Be prepared to test the requested package an give feedback to the packagers also.

Or one could become a packager!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: