Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:13:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Desktop graphics anomaly Pardus 2011 RC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Desktop graphics anomaly Pardus 2011 RC  (Read 1596 times)
Kirk_M

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2011, 00:27:08 AM »

First post here. Not that new to Linux distros but new to Pardus. Very good so far.

I'm currently running Pardus 2011 RC in a separate partition on my PC (see signature for PC specs) and I'm seeing black dashes along the top left of the desktop. These also transpose themselves along the top left of the title bar of any window I have open. I've attached a screenshot of the upper left portion of my desktop and you can see the anomaly plainly.

My video card is an nVidia GT 220/PCI/SSE2 and I'm running the latest nVidia video card driver Pardus 2011 RC offers (3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.29). Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this.

* desktop dashes.png (122.92 KB, 410x254 - viewed 160 times.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 00:32:55 AM by Kirk_M » Logged

"I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking" Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-220 w/1GB video memory.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:55 AM »

Hi Kirk_M,
Welcome here to the forum.  It is always good to see a new face!

Yes, I had noticed this, too, and filed a bug report here. 

Again, welcome to the forum!
Regards, Lisa Marie
Kirk_M

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 18:06:47 PM »

Hi Kirk_M,
Welcome here to the forum.  It is always good to see a new face!

Yes, I had noticed this, too, and filed a bug report here. 

Again, welcome to the forum!
Regards, Lisa Marie

Thanks for the welcome, Lisa and many thanks for filing the bug report. I just started using Pardus (2011 RC) and am much more used to dealing with Debian/Ubuntu based distros so I'm definitely not versed in the Pardus community/bug reporting which can be a bit confusing to say the least. Not complaining at all though.

Strangely enough I seem to have found a temporary work around by setting window "Placement" (System settings/Windows behavior/Window behavior/Advanced tab--"Placement" drop down menu) to "Centered" rather than "Smart" (default) since  "Smart" opens all non-maximized in the upper left corner of the desktop which seems to trigger the "dashes" if they haven't appeared yet. Since I set "Placement" to "Centered" the dashes haven't reappeared since but I'm not really trusting it. I'll post again to this thread if things change.

Also, I also noticed that the default setting of "Screen Edges" (System Settings/Windows behavior/Screen edges) is the upper left hand corner of the desktop to "Present Windows - All desktops". If the dashes do show up again I'll set that differently just to say I did. Can't help it, I'm an old troubleshooter from way back and troubleshooting is a habit I can't seem to break.  Grin

"I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking" Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-220 w/1GB video memory.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 20:17:26 PM »

troubleshooting is a habit I can't seem to break.
I'm the same way, but I guess what I do is more like fiddling, not troubleshooting.  I like a good mystery!  I also don't like to throw away an appliance that stops working, but rather to try and find out what's wrong with it and repair it, especially something made well that is worth repairing. 

I'm trying your suggestion but hyphens are still there, though they were there when I tried changing window placement to centered. 

I'm doing a large update today, so will try these settings you suggested when it is finished. 

As a side note, I have to add that like the new Pardus 2011 greet screen and splash screen that came out a couple of days ago.  The greet screen font size is perfect - nice and large, easy to see and also the relaxing gray colour.
Regards, Lisa Marie
Kirk_M

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 21:45:20 PM »

I'm the same way, but I guess what I do is more like fiddling, not troubleshooting.  I like a good mystery!  I also don't like to throw away an appliance that stops working, but rather to try and find out what's wrong with it and repair it, especially something made well that is worth repairing.  

I'm trying your suggestion but hyphens are still there, though they were there when I tried changing window placement to centered.  

I'm doing a large update today, so will try these settings you suggested when it is finished.  

As a side note, I have to add that like the new Pardus 2011 greet screen and splash screen that came out a couple of days ago.  The greet screen font size is perfect - nice and large, easy to see and also the relaxing gray colour.
Regards, Lisa Marie

I like the new greet screen and splash screen as well. The best I've seen so far out of all the distros I've tried.

Anyway, I had already done the update and restarted. At that point the dashes hadn't returned but did shortly thereafter. Once I set Placement to "Centered" I logged out and back in again and the dashes haven't reappeared so far.

Perhaps you'd like to confirm the existence of another anomaly? This time dealing with network connections. See the following thread: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3547.0

I'm wondering if you're seeing somewhat of the same thing. It may depend on your type of Internet connection as to whether it is wired or wireless but I'd be interested in what you find.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 21:47:05 PM by Kirk_M » Logged

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 19:25:34 PM »

I found a sort of quick-fix for this by mistake, the black hyphens in the upper right hand corner which first show up at the Greet Log In page....

Whether at Greet Log In or already logged in,  click on Ctrl+Alt+F1 which will bring you to tty terminal.  Revert back to xserver by clicking Ctrl+Alt+F8.  The dashes/hyphen disappear for all instances, whether i click on an application launcher or anywhere on the desktop.  Good and gone.
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: