Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:19:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Network Settings dialog shows no connections
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network Settings dialog shows no connections  (Read 2156 times)
Kirk_M

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2011, 19:58:08 PM »

Here's something a bit weird. I have a wired (Ethernet type) hookup for my Internet connection (cable modem hooked to a wireless router/Ethernet hub). The connection was automatically picked up when I first installed Pardus 2011 RC and has been working fine ever since. However, as you can see by the screenshots below, when I click on the "Connection" icon in the tray the resulting pop-up shows the proper connection (Auto eth0) but when I click on the "Manage connections" button at the bottom right of the pop-up the resulting network connections dialog shows no connections whatsoever when it should show the above connection. Same thing when going into "System settings/Network settings/Network Connections" (slightly different version of the same dialog box). This is a problem since it's currently impossible on a default install to change my network connection settings at all for example, changing DNS servers to OpenDNS or Google Public DNS servers.

Not too sure where to go from here. Obviously the connection is present, shows on the tray and in the pop-up when the tray icon is clicked and works fine. I'm not sure if this is a problem with Pardus 2011 or with the KDE network manager which is known to be buggy. Anyone else seeing this?

* Network connections.jpg (26.11 KB, 661x362 - viewed 181 times.)

* Network connection2.jpg (35.03 KB, 806x572 - viewed 177 times.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 20:00:12 PM by Kirk_M » Logged

"I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking" Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-220 w/1GB video memory.
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 22:23:00 PM »

I'm not sure if this is best described as a bug of a feature. It is however definitely not specific to Pardus -- I see the same thing on Kubuntu.

Essentially the automatically-generated profiles are not shown in the network manager's "Manage Connections" tool, only the user-defined ones. What would be useful is something like a "New from current" option to allow you to use the automatic profile as a starting point.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 22:26:32 PM by James T » Logged
Kirk_M

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 22:36:53 PM »

I'm not sure if this is best described as a bug of a feature. It is however definitely not specific to Pardus -- I see the same thing on Kubuntu.

Essentially the automatically-generated profiles are not shown in the network manager's "Manage Connections" tool, only the user-defined ones. What would be useful is something like a "New from current" option to allow you to use the automatic profile as a starting point.

Thanks for the reply. That's about what I thought. This may be one of the reasons that certain major distros that use KDE as a desktop use the Gnome network manager rather than Knetwork. It looks nearly identical, as you probably already know, but the current (auto created) network profile is always listed in the Network manager so you can easily change settings without having to create a new profile. As long as it works I guess but I'm going to look into the possibility of using the Gnome version rather than the KDE version just because "it's there".  Wink

"I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking" Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-220 w/1GB video memory.
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 23:01:18 PM »

Another possibility is wicd. I've used that extensively on laptops as older versions of the KDE network manager did not scan for ESSIDs. I can't quite remember where it is (I don't have a Pardus box to hand here) but I think the "system settings" tool has a chooser to let you pick which tool to use to manage network connections (one of the many nice little admin tools that are Pardus-specific).
dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »

This was spoken on the Ozgurlukicin.com forums also.
We were told that the developers were looking for a workaround for this issue (since it is KDE based). People would like to set their DNS and other settings manually.

Another workaround would be making a setting for the same connection, giving a name of your choice to this connection, setting your DNS and other stuff manually, and choosing it manually from the list at every boot-up. I did not try but should work.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »

Maybe Bug 15489 Comment 3 - Unable to setup a fixed IP address in Network Manager of P2011Beta2
has to do with this and is part of the solution
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 15:54:36 PM »

After applying Bug 15489 Comment 3 I get the picture below

* netwerkverbinding.png (46.83 KB, 691x373 - viewed 191 times.)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 17:08:21 PM »

Another possibility is wicd. I've used that extensively on laptops as older versions of the KDE network manager did not scan for ESSIDs. I can't quite remember where it is (I don't have a Pardus box to hand here) but I think the "system settings" tool has a chooser to let you pick which tool to use to manage network connections (one of the many nice little admin tools that are Pardus-specific).
Wicd isn't available in 2011 repositories yet, but this how-to works for me to compile it, all but the chkconfig command:
Wicd on Fed. 9

Yes, system settings>information sources>network management backend has fakenet and wicd as altnernatives, but they aren't installed yet.

I don't use NetworkManager as it doesn't include a setting for dial up users.  This is how it appears on my computer.  For some reason, VPN is the only choice.
Lisa Marie

Edited to add:
After compiling Wicd and changing backend to Wicd in System Settings, when I click on NetworkManager icon in bottom panel, besides VPN choice, I can now also choose Wired  and DSL.  

* snapshot5.png (31.2 KB, 773x172 - viewed 155 times.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 00:39:00 AM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: