Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 23:51:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Missing killer feature :)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing killer feature :)  (Read 1739 times)
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

I dont know if anyone here has used archlinux, but one of the killer things about it is the aur (arch user repository)
you can read about it here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

basically anyone can submit a pkgbuild, equivalent of pspec.xml and actions.py

the pkgbuilds are then used at users own risk to build software not in the main repos, they have tools for this, but pisi has it built in.

the pkgbuilds are quality checked for malicious commands etc by trusted users from the community.

I would love to see this here, I know pardususer.de has a repo but its binary, all we are talking here is a place to collect build files, that can be checked over by another pair of eyes.
I would happily spend time checking them and am sure there are plenty of others here who are able and willing to do so. Community is the strength of linux after all Smiley
SW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 13:33:16 PM »

I know pardususer.de has a repo but its binary,
That is not 100% correct!
Have a look: http://www.pardususer.de/index.php?action=repository&dir=/pisi-rohdaten

You can either join Pardususer.de and we can start teamwork. If Your knowledge is enough, You can become a Pardus developer, or You can do Junior jobs via bugtracking and send them the build files directly:  http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/buglist.cgi?keywords=JUNIORJOBS&query_format=advanced&keywords_type=allwords&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

Unfortunately at the moment there is no official User Pakagesystem as Arch has.
Your suggestion is a good idea imho!

On Pardususer.de we are actually 5 people creating packages. Three german guys, one dutch man and one turkish guy.
My knowledge about package building is limited, but everybody is trying to help. Its a good teamwork.

bye

mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 13:56:17 PM »

I am interested Smiley

But my german, dutch  and turkish are very limited  (read 0)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 14:26:54 PM »

I am interested Smiley

But my german, dutch  and turkish are very limited  (read 0)
That's no problem as your questions/remarks in English will also be answered in English.
I fact I have far more problems writing in the German language than in I have in the English language.
(of course the Dutch language would be the easiest for me Grin)
SW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 15:29:06 PM »

I am interested Smiley
Nice! So feel free to join us and after You have an account I will contact You for some instructions.
If You have problems to fill out the login mask, please let me know.

cya
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 16:31:45 PM »

I have registered with the same user as here. It logs in fine for forums, but could use some instruction.
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 17:05:49 PM »

Thinking of it there used to be an application pisibul that pointed at svn to build packages from source.
I bet it could be changed with little effort to point at a specific repo. Or from scratch in qt based on package-manager but seperate and not linked to so that people know they are using unsupported community packages....hmmm
That way users could be warned and would use a specific application for building community packages.

/goes off looking for source code for pisibul/
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 17:42:38 PM »

Thinking of it there used to be an application pisibul that pointed at svn to build packages from source.
I bet it could be changed with little effort to point at a specific repo. Or from scratch in qt based on package-manager but seperate and not linked to so that people know they are using unsupported community packages....hmmm
That way users could be warned and would use a specific application for building community packages.

/goes off looking for source code for pisibul/

http://pisibul.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pisibul/

mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 17:52:57 PM »

Thanks.
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 18:21:57 PM »

I dont know if anyone here has used archlinux, but one of the killer things about it is the aur (arch user repository)
you can read about it here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

basically anyone can submit a pkgbuild, equivalent of pspec.xml and actions.py

the pkgbuilds are then used at users own risk to build software not in the main repos, they have tools for this, but pisi has it built in.

the pkgbuilds are quality checked for malicious commands etc by trusted users from the community.

I would love to see this here, I know pardususer.de has a repo but its binary, all we are talking here is a place to collect build files, that can be checked over by another pair of eyes.
I would happily spend time checking them and am sure there are plenty of others here who are able and willing to do so. Community is the strength of linux after all Smiley
Necrobumping, unfortunately   Embarrassed . A new topic would be one too many. Still older one: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3250.0
"What is AUR" is still priceless  :'(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 18:24:20 PM by Llama » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 18:48:20 PM »

This is interesting, do you need a "software breaker " by any chance?
And as for languages , to quote an actor , " I speak two languages , english , and BAD english"
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 19:25:04 PM »

Necrobumping, unfortunately   Embarrassed . A new topic would be one too many. Still older one: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3250.0
"What is AUR" is still priceless  :'(
I don understand this ^^^ post.
If you have build files for a new package, add them as attachment to a (new) topic in Wish list
And I will be happy to test them and add the rsulting package to 2. Additional (non-official) package source: pardususer.de Grin
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 20:00:25 PM »

Unofficial repos are, shall we say, an emergency recourse. It's a resource good enough for its owner, I grant it, but somehow it falls short of being a "killer feature" or, as they say, "insanely useful" (see this review). Trust me: I can't get away from Arch mostly (exclusively?) because of the AUR. In four years I haven't had to design (and debug) a package of my own.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 20:37:38 PM by Llama » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 20:42:26 PM »

Unofficial repos are, shall we say, an emergency recourse.
I have a different opinion on this ^^^.
A repo is as good as it's contents is.

It's a resource good enough for its owner........
I certainly don't own pardususer.de.
It's a joined effort by a couple of volunteers.

In four years I haven't had to design (and debug) a package of my own.
It's all a matter of manpower and the knowledge/craftsmanship of the packagers .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 21:01:52 PM by atolboo » Logged
John A
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 20:59:56 PM »

If you need a program/application it's possible to write a official request for them here:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

I think the current version 2011.2 have a lot in the repository now compared to the version 2011. Smiley
And if you add the unofficial repos you got even more to.

My problem with Pardus are when they release a new developed line many applications are gone and it take to long time to get them back again.
(like Licq who was missing in 2011 but are back now)

They often write Pardus reviews of new developed lines (like 2008, 2009 and 2011) and always complain at the small repo...

I guess they working on Pardus 2012 now. And I hope they can keep the stuff in that version when it be released.

Edit:
I write bug report about this issue:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=17706

It's not marked as resolved so I suppose the developers have discussions about how they will do in the future releases.
Will be interesting to see what happends.

It's annoy lot of users if maybe 40% of the programs are gone when every new line is released.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 21:08:10 PM by John A » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: