Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:33:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Shutdown problems with Pardus 2011
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shutdown problems with Pardus 2011  (Read 885 times)
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 20:19:24 PM »

Could anyone help me with which log file I need to read in order to see why my new 2011 installation won't shut down cleanly please?

It starts to shut down as one would expect, but then stops completely at the Plymouth screen (the circle animation stops).  Only a hard shutdown using the power key then gets me out of this.

I've had a look through some of the logs in /var for clues, but I don't really know what I'm looking for (perhaps I should be posting in the beginners section, even though I've used Pardus for 3 years now!)

Happy to provide any hardware information if required.  Nvidia graphics card installed, but it does this with either the proprietary driver or the Nouveau one.

Many thanks!
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 21:11:37 PM »

Do you have any NFS mounts?

I have seen similar problems in the past on some Debian systems where the NFS server had gone away before the client shut down (since this was 4 or more years ago, I don't recall the precise details).
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 21:16:17 PM »

Nope- no nfs mounts.

Still scratching my head over this one.  Tried a few things, like changing the video drivers, but it does it every time, If I shutdown in verbose mode, without the Plymouth splash, it stops/jams just after it unmounts the mounted drives though, so you may be onto something.

I'll have a play, now, and report back
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 21:23:58 PM »

Whooo!

So I unmounted my fat32 drive (my data drive, shared with windows) before rebooting and hey presto it worked.  I mounted the drive through the gui in disk manager.  fsab looks like this:

UUID=4505-6C39 /media/DATA\040DISK vfat utf8,quiet,dmask=007,gid=6,shortname=mixed,fmask=117 0 0

I have to confess I've no idea what the second part of that means (dmask, gid, shortname, fmask).  I'll have an experiment and let you know.
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 21:57:37 PM »

Going to have to go out now.  I'll have another look in the morning.  It's definitely something to do with that mounted vfat drive.

A
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: