Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:40:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  How Ya'll doing? from Chillicothe, Ohio
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Ya'll doing? from Chillicothe, Ohio  (Read 2736 times)
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2011, 22:29:54 PM »

I recently downloaded Pardus 2011, and love it. I had 2009 before, and felt like something was missing. I recently have been duel booting Windows (for college), and Ubuntu, but when I found out that Pardus had a new distro I had to try it. I am absolutely in awe of this OS. I am no longer duel booting anything. Just strictly using Pardus. I wrote my first paper about an hour ago using Libreoffice. It took some getting used to but it worked just fine.
Thank You so much for an excellent OS. Goodbye windows
Lorenzo
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 22:36:23 PM »

Nice to hear and keep on    with Pardus.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 17:16:32 PM »

Hi, Christopher,

Although it sounds like you're not new to Pardus, Welcome to the user forum anyway!

I also used Pardus 2009 (and then 2009.2), and was happy with them both. They were stable, smooth and fast on my hardware. So I waffled some before deciding to install 2011 two days ago ... and wiping my 2009.2 installation to replace it with a fresh 2011 install was like saying goodbye to an old friend.  :'( However, I don't regret the decision; I'm already liking 2011 a lot.

I haven't had much chance to test LibreOffice, other than opening up a few of my older .odt and .ods files which were created with OpenOffice.org. Everything seems to be fine so far. If I run into problems, I will post about it.

At this stage, I only have a couple of minor criticisms of 2011: I'd like to see Abiword (as a more lightweight alternative to LibreOffice Writer), Gnucash (as another alternative to KMyMoney and Skrooge) and maybe Texmaker (as an alternative to Kile) come into the repos.

The other thing I ran into -- possibly a more serious hindrance for newcomers to Pardus -- is a bug (??) with how the Nouveau driver interacts with my onboard Nvidia video card. I found a solution, thanks to some posts by atolboo and Lisa, and am now using the proprietary Nvidia driver. However, if possible, I might actually prefer to use the open-source Nouveau driver ... except that I can't figure out how to make it work right now. But until I find a workaround to try, it seems that other users like me will be faced with a choice at opposite ends of the spectrum: either use the "safe" xorg driver (whose capabilities are very limited) or use the manufacturer's proprietary driver(s).

Have fun,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 17:22:36 PM »

Its sad now. I might have to use another distro instead. I am in college, and firefox 4.x will not load one of my programs I need for school. I tried to find firefox 3.6 and load it on my pc, but i cannot figure out how to do that
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 17:33:57 PM »

..I might have to use another distro instead.
Try >Pardus 2009.2<.
It has FF 3.6.13 and is my daily workhorse Grin
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 17:37:18 PM »

kk will do. Any idea on how long it takes for a full version of firefox 4.x to come out?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 20:35:10 PM »

Any idea on how long it takes for a full version of firefox 4.x to come out?
No.
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 01:39:54 AM »

I took your advice and now have Pardus 2009.2, and everything works wonderful. Thanks m8
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »

.... and everything works wonderful....
Good to hear.
And my advise is to wait for the (promised) Upgrade Manager to appear in the Package Manager.
By that time they will have solved the problems (including features of FF, etc.) to guarantee a smooth transition to P2011.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 16:06:49 PM »

Hi Christopher and a big welcome to you, too!  While I have my atlas out, I will look up Chillicothe.  I've only been through the southern and eastern areas of Ohio - pretty farmland that grows tasty apples.
Glad you got things working out with Firefox!
Regards, Lisa Marie
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 16:10:15 PM »

They are great apples. A place called Laurelville has great apples. It is about 20 minutes or so away from where I live. I am actually from Roanoke, Va but have lived here most of my life
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 16:19:41 PM »

I have been doing trips by car and on my motorcycle some time ago:
New York -Detroit- Phoenix - LA
Toronto - Phoenix- Vancouver
South-west area ( California - Arizona - Utah - Colorado - New Mexico - Texas)
Florida area.
And returned to the Netherlands every time. Grin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 16:22:00 PM by atolboo » Logged
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 16:23:14 PM »

Although I have only been out of the country once, and it was to Ontario, CA. I cannot say I blame you for returning home and not staying in the US
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 16:50:59 PM »

.....While I have my atlas out, I will look up Chillicothe........
An easier way is http://maps.google.nl/maps?ll=39.33312,-82.982402&z=16&t=h&hl=nl and/or use Google Earth. Grin
Craig
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 16:53:44 PM »

Although I have only been out of the country once, and it was to Ontario, CA. I cannot say I blame you for returning home and not staying in the US

I agree! Their governments give them things like Pardus and healthcare over there!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: