Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:11:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Clementine & ipod
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clementine & ipod  (Read 4546 times)
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 19:07:37 PM »

Hmmm, I can't get it to work. The RockboxUtility 1.2.8 which seems to be the latest one. It's supposed to be an executable file, not working, I click it and get nothing. I ensured it's executable. I made sure I have ownership. I tried ./RockboxUtility when in the proper folder and I got

./RockboxUtility: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 19:44:17 PM »

Hi libpng should be installed by default?

check with pisi sr libpng if its red its installed.

I have just tried the 64bit and it runs here. (I cannot test if it will install rockbox no suitable player)......

@atalboo

looked at the source tarball for packaging it will be a lot of work as the firmware files need to be generated  to compile the tools....
Also the nightmare of testing to see if works correctly, there are so many devices rockbox supports....
the pre-compiled script thought would be simple, but again the testing....

just my 2c...
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 03:18:36 AM »

Ok, so what are some good MP3 players that do work with Linux/Pardus?

Hi, Duskao,

If you can't get your iPod to work with Linux and you need an alternative MP3 player, I will recommend the Sansa Clip. (I promise I don't work for SanDisk). We bought a 4 GB model for our son, age 11. It has worked well for him -- and for us, when we are allowed to borrow it.  Smiley My wife and I own an earlier 2 GB model of the Clip which is still going strong. If you only need something basic, without a lot of bells and whistles, I think you'd be happy with the Sansa Clip.

You can see it here:

http://tinyurl.com/4alox3z
    SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player

Pros:

• Supports .ogg format out-of-the box (unless they've changed something recently with the firmware)
    • Mounts as a USB mass storage device: you simply drag your music files back and forth from your computer to your Clip. This is done by putting your Clip in MSC mode: Settings > USB Mode > MSC. (There is also an MTP mode if you need to transfer DRM-ed audio files from the computer to the player).

I'll try to link to two screenshots which show the Clip's internal file structure. (These were taken in Fedora 14 Xfce):

http://tinyurl.com/45kojox

http://tinyurl.com/47xeozt

• Although the stock earbuds are not great, the sound quality is very good overall, IMHO. Bass response is surprisingly good.
    • Battery life is excellent.
    • The built-in FM radio works well. (We don't use that feature often, but it's nice to have the option available).
    • It's inexpensive.

Cons:

• The navigation is a bit clunky, to be honest. I haven't owned/used an iPod, but a couple of iPod owners I know have told me that the iPod navigates more quickly and easily through its music collection. This isn't a major drawback for me, as I use the Clip in a basic way. (It does have a "Random Mode" [?] in which you can ask it to play your entire collection in a randomized way. This sometimes produces interesting combinations of playlists).
    • Doesn't come supplied with an external charger. After some trial and error, I found that it really works best to recharge it with an external wall charger. (I got an inexpensive model from Radio Shack which works fine).
    • The volume of FM radio playback is significantly louder than the volume of .mp3 playback. When listening to FM radio, even if I have the device's volume on the lowest setting, it still blasts my ears. (This may have been fixed in the newer models).

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
    Duskao
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »

Well, I actually got the iPod working with Amarok, still not with Clementine. I still also haven't been able to get Rockbox working. libpng is installed, but I still get that error when trying to launch it. What command are you using to launch it? Or are you just using the Rockbox player, or the installer?
    « Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:28:33 AM by Duskao » Logged
    mpie
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05:44 AM »

the installer.

From here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility#Download
    Duskao
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 20:20:21 PM »

Yeah, not working for me on 32bit. But as I said, how are you going about launching it? are you ./RockboxUtility ?
    mpie
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 21:43:40 PM »

I have tried both, from command line and just clicking.....
    Both work, I think you may have downloaded an older version as libpng12 was a while ago, try downloading from the link I provided.

Another thing you could try, although not guaranteed would be to make a symlink to libpng12.so
    atolboo
    Pardus Guru

View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 22:19:15 PM »

..... as libpng12 was a while ago,
    Additional info...
    In P2009 the package libpng provides libpng12:
    ls /usr/lib | grep libpng
    libpng12.so
    libpng12.so.0
    libpng12.so.0.44.0
    libpng.so
    libpng.so.3
    libpng.so.3.44.0
    In P2011 (is on my /mnt/sda10) the package libpng provides libpng14:
    ls /mnt/sda10/usr/lib | grep libpng
    libpng14.so
    libpng14.so.14
    libpng14.so.14.3.0
    libpng.so
    Duskao
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder if there is something messed up with my installation??? The just clicking doesn't work for me, and as I have shown in an earlier post the error I get.
    Is there a way to ensure my installation isn't messed up?

Oh yeah, I'm using Pardus 2011 32 bit. The latest from the download as well. 1.2.8

My output from

ls /usr/lib | grep libpng
    libpng14.so
    libpng14.so.14
    libpng14.so.14.3.0
    libpng.so
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:12:39 AM by Duskao » Logged
    mpie
    Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:58 AM »

your output is correct, the libpng12 error is because it was compiled against libpng12, I would be very surprised if they only updated one though but as you can see it runs here
    [

* S_SR.png (174.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 86 times.)
    atolboo
    Pardus Guru

View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder if there is something messed up with my installation???
    No, it's not.
    I already came across this libpng12<->libpng14 problem whill trying to make a package for Teamspeak3.
    I already solved this for Teamspeak3 and I plan to make a temporary libpng12 package for P2011 in http://www.pardususer.de/index.php?action=repository&dir=/playground/atolboo.
    Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to: