Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 16:37:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  .bin files
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: .bin files  (Read 1057 times)
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:40:53 AM »

Hello once again guys.
Just wondering why Pardus doesn't use the GUI when installing .bin files like braid from the humble indie bundle or crossover games. It isn't that much of an issue as it's very easy to install it from the command line, but wouldn't it be easier if making the file executable then just clicking or double clicking brought up the installation like it does in other distros? Or does anyone know how to make this possible?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »

Can you give a link to .bin file...... so that I can test this Huh?
And we are testing the same file.
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 18:30:18 PM »

well, unfortunately I can't directly give you a link to either of those at the moment. Braid is a game that I bought from the humble indie bundle so it's not really openly available. And the .bin for crossovergames is a release candidate that the general public can't get at the moment. However, I will send you a link to it once it's released, shouldn't be long. I will search for some others that are openly available to the public for testing purposes.
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »

Hey there. You can download a demo now, the newest one was just released. You can get from www.codeweavers.com just do a trial and get the .bin installer. You will have to fill out your email address and name. Not too big of a deal. They do NOT share your email with anyone, but you will get updates from codeweavers.
SW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »

Can you give a link to .bin file...... so that I can test this Huh?
IMHO there is no need to download from codeweavers because the handling of bin files should be the same on pardus. You can also try the bin file for Linux from Acrobat Reader (adobe.com).

like it does in other distros?
Could You pls give us the names of the distros with that behavior? I´m also interested what they are doing so special with bin files.
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 19:43:38 PM »

Sure, some of the distro's that handle the .bin files differently (open up a gui when clicking the .bin after making it executable) Ubuntu, Puppy, OpenSuse, Mandriva, and it's been a while, but I believe Sabayon does it as well. Some of those, it has been a while since I have used them so I can't say 100% certain that it works on all of them, however it does with the latest Ubuntu and the latest Puppy 5.2 definitively.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: