Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:23:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  2011 won't install
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 won't install  (Read 5699 times)
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »

I've been happily using 2009.2 since it's release with no problems. I've eagerly awaited the release of 2011 and downloaded the iso for the i686 installation. I burned a copy to DVD using K3B, making sure that the MD5 checksum was correct. When I try to install 2011 I can select my language choice (US English) and the option to boot from the DVD, but after a few seconds I am presented with a grey screen where all the pixels are mixed up so that I can go no further.
I am guessing that my nVidia GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i graphics may be the problem. Is there anything that I can do?
SpecialEd
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 15:52:24 PM »

To get 2011rc to install, I had to use  'nomodeset'.  You can also try 'all-generic-ide'.  That as worked for me before in other distros when having vid card issues.

Ed

Alienware m17x R1
Intel Core2 Extreme x9000 x86-64
4gigs of ram
Dual 9800m GT's

Win7
Pardus 2011
Sabayon 5.5
Kubuntu 10.10
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 15:59:43 PM »

Hi, csaenemy,

Thanks for posting this. I can confirm that I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I also have an nVidia card (although it is an integrated, onboard card) which works fine in 2009.2.

As you did, I checked both the md5sum and the sha1sum before burning the .iso to disc with K3B. They matched the correct checksums. I used a good quality TDK DVD-R, and burned the disc at 4x speed (the slowest speed available on my hardware). K3B very rarely fails me, so I'm assuming that I have a valid disc to install from.

Just a few more details on the boot sequence -- since at first I thought this might be caused by an incorrect detection of my screen resolution. (However, now I do not believe this is the cause). The initial splash / boot screen appears fine and undistorted; it is a white Pardus leopard logo on a gray background. The boot menu screen also appears clearly; it allows me to choose the language and has other options for the graphical server (function key F4) and kernel options (F5).

However, no matter which option(s) I select via F4, F5 or simply using the defaults, after booting I am presented with a gray "TV-test-pattern-like" screen that is completely mixed up -- all the pixels are squashed together such that any text is illegible, and there is a dark black line at the top of the screen and a horizontal black band in the screen's middle.

< Edit: >

Here's a photo of the jumbled screen I'm trying to describe in the paragraph above:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Late last night I downloaded a second .iso, from a different mirror, but I have not yet had the chance to burn it to DVD. I will try it tonight and report back what happens. If the gray, jumbled screen reoccurs, I will attempt to take a photo of my screen and post it here in the Forum.

I would also welcome any suggestions for a workaround. I hope we haven't uncovered a bug ...  Sad

=david

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:49:34 AM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 16:02:45 PM »

Hi, SpecialEd,

Many thanks for your tip! I didn't try either of those options in my experimentation but I will certainly try them tonight and report whether they work on my system.

Thanks again,
=david

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 19:16:01 PM »

Another option is to try the >USB-medium< if your BIOS is making this possible.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »

To get 2011rc to install, I had to use  'nomodeset'.  You can also try 'all-generic-ide'.  That as worked for me before in other distros when having vid card issues.

Hi, SpecialEd,

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions for possible boot parameters. I've tried both of them tonight; unfortunately, neither of them worked for me. However, after a fair amount of experimenting -- and a large number of failures -- I discovered a solution that was successful on my hardware ...

After selecting English as the system language, I typed this parameter into the "Boot Options" line:

Code:
xorg=safe

Amazingly, that allowed YALI to proceed to the initial step of the installation, whose screen looks like this:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8938/getreadyinstallpardus.jpg
Get Ready to Install Pardus

(It takes several minutes to reach this point, so please wait patiently).

After agreeing to / accepting the GPL, I continued to the step of validating the installation packages (which was successful), then I backed out of YALI.

In my searching, I found an old forum thread which has some other useful tips and workarounds for a similar situation:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1011.0
"Installation Problem." 19 May 2007.

I hope this info will be helpful to csaenemy and anyone else who's having problems getting their installation started. I will probably try installing Pardus 2011 after I completely back up my 2009.2 data.

=david

csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 00:08:05 AM »

Thanks everybody, particularly kalwisti, who has given me the solution. Your photograph showed exactly what I was seeing and the "xorg=safe parameter has done the trick. Unfortunately I messed up a little on the partitioning and accidentally formatted part of a drive that had some films and tv shows that I had downloaded, but not yet watched. Not a disaster though, I'm sure I can find them again.

Tomorrow I shall get stuck into customising my new Pardus and installing my favourite programs.  Grin
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:04:35 AM »

@csaenemy,

You're welcome! I'm glad that boot parameter also worked for you and allowed you to successfully install 2011. I was surprised the tip worked because everything else I tried had failed; I was frustrated and about ready to give up for the evening. Then I found that older forum thread and it sounded very promising ...

Tonight my project is to back up my 2009.2 data before I try installing 2011. The positive comments I've read and the screenshots I've seen have convinced me to install the new release.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »

... my 2009.2 data ....
I wait for the Update Manager to transfer my P2009.

I try installing 2011.
I install P2011 i686 an x86_64 on different partitions, also to allow me to generate packages for pardususer.de Grin
Craig
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 21:19:58 PM »

I have an NVDIA Geforce 6100 video card. The pic above is exactly what I saw when I first tried to install Pardus. I'm glad I came here and was able to find this thread.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 22:48:39 PM »

@Craig,

Glad to hear that this thread helped you. If you haven't already found them in your forum searching, you might want to also read these two discussion threads:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3475.0
"Pardus 2011 Nvidia Install." 31 Oct. 2010.

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3589.0
"Nvidia Driver on Pardus 2011." 26 Jan. 2011.

Using the instructions / tips suggested by atolboo and Lisa, I blacklisted the Nouveau driver and successfully installed the proprietary Nvidia driver for the card. It seems to be working fine, except for the small black dots / splotches mentioned in the thread above. I intend to experiment more with trying to get the Nouveau driver to work on my system ...

HTH.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 23:17:51 PM »

I have an NVDIA Geforce 6100 video card.
There is also a reported problem with this card at >NVidia funktioniert nicht richtig<
In the manual in >this post< you can see in pictures to the minimum driver in Eingeschränkte-Treiber-einschalten.png
And to the nVidia driver in Proprietären-Treiber-einschalten.png
My last question was, which driver is detected by the script of Pardus.
As I never got an answer back, it stopped there.
Which driver are you using Huh?
And I can translate the whole manual in English, if needed!
Craig
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 00:47:43 AM »

Kalwisti, I got through the installer by using xorg=safe before booting. Then I chose to install the proprietary drivers from within the installer.  All has been well ever since. I don't have any artifacts and desktop effects work fine.

Atolboo,

My driver version is:

If you want to translate the manual, great! It could come in handy.
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 14:24:21 PM »

I had a similar problem.  I successfully booted Yali from a usb stick and was in the middle of entering new partioning information when the screen suddenly shrank to 1/4 of the screen, then disappeared entirely leaving me with a blinking cursor and no system prompt. I rebooted into my hard drive and searched for the errormessage:  [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:6]

I found a thread in an ArchLinux forum suggesting it may be related to the nouveau driver for the NVIDIA card, and remembered this discussion here in this thread. I tried setting xorg=safe, which didn't work, and then just used the failsafe option in the display options at the boot screen.

This caused Yali to blacklist the nouveau driver and offer me the proprietary driver a few screens later, I now have Pardus 2011 successfully installed on my machine.

Remember: only you can prevent forum fires!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 16:37:49 PM »

....... I now have Pardus 2011 successfully installed on my machine.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: