Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:57:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Nvidia driver on Pardus 2011
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nvidia driver on Pardus 2011  (Read 4410 times)
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 20:10:29 PM »

Anyone else found a problem with small artifacts across the top of the screen when using the Nvidia driver on Pardus 2011?  A whole set of small, horizontal lines within the top few millimeters of the top of the screen. 

No such problem with the Nouveau driver (but I do like my kwin effects  Grin)

I seem to remember this happening on Mepis a long time ago.  I can't remember how (or if?) I fixed it.

Thanks in advance
SpecialEd
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 20:56:19 PM »

Yeah, I also have that zig-zag of small dashes in the upper left corner of my screen.  I'm sure they aren't there initially on login but they appear after a short while.

Ed

Alienware m17x R1
Intel Core2 Extreme x9000 x86-64
4gigs of ram
Dual 9800m GT's

Win7
Pardus 2011
Sabayon 5.5
Kubuntu 10.10
sipiatti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 21:04:01 PM »

Same here, but sometimes stays there for long, and not always appear right after login

Why use windows if you have open doors... to linux...
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 21:07:43 PM »

I see it with the nvidia173 (older cards) driver, but not with Nouveau. The effect is also present (on a different machine) with openchrome driver for VIA cards, so the problem may be nearer to the core.
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 21:08:38 PM »

Hi Ed

Are you using the proprietary nvidia driver too?  I wondered about downgrading to an older driver through the package manager and trying that instead of the current driver.

I get a whole lot of parallel lines all the way across the top of the screen, but only when any window is open, either maximised or not.  It's not a show-stopper, but it looks pretty bad.  If there's a maximised window open the lines appear along the top of that window instead.

I'm going out tonight, but I'll do some more googling tomorrow morning.  I'll let you know if I find a fix.

Andy
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 21:10:22 PM »

Hi James, sipiatti

Not much point in me trying the older driver then!

Thanks for your inputs

A
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 21:29:39 PM »

For your interest: (about stripes dashed line or black specks upper left side of screen)

Also this >Bug 16210 Comment 7< - nVidia-current driver shows black specks upper left side of screen - 2011 RC
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 14:20:22 PM by atolboo » Logged
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 21:59:52 PM »

Aha!

Thanks atolboo, that makes me feel better.  We're not the only ones then!

I don't think I've anything to add to the bug report.  Sounds like the same thing though.

Got to go out now- thanks for your help

A
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 18:26:04 PM »

Ok- found a workaround for this:

System Settings>Windows Behaviour>Screen Edges> De-select "Maximise windows by dragging to the top of the screen"  and "Tile windows by dragging them to the side of the screen"

Apply, then log out and back in.  No lines on the screen (at least on my computer, after 3 reboots)! Grin

Of course if you use the screen edges to maximise or to tile windows, you're not going to like this.

Anyone else to report that this works for them?  Lisa I can't find the post, but did I see you talking about a similar problem on the board a few weeks ago? (I may have imagined this of course.)

I'll add this to the bug report, once I've remembered my login details
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 04:31:56 AM »

Yes, andyb, same here. I just did a large update of packages, one that included nvidia driver, and just did a restart to see if these anomalies are still there,  They are.  Not a big deal, as they are not there continually, and aren't noticeable, but I continue to use the nvidia-current drivers so I can keep an eye on this slight bug to report if any thing changes. 

I'll have to try your work around, as my work around only lasts while you are logged in to the current session and continues to work when the monitor goes to sleep and reawakened by the mouse or keyboard. 

...click Ctrl+Alt+F1 which takes you to tty1 terminal, then click Ctrl+Alt+F8 and no "Morse Code"  Tongue  in the upper left hand corner...er, not until you  reboot that is. 

Time to try your tip.  Thanks for sharing it!
Lisa Marie
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »

Sadly, after several (5?6?) reboots my little black lines are back :'( :'(

Yes- I hoped that the nvidia update would fix it, but it didn't.

Not a major problem, of course.  It's probably a sign of how few problems I have with Pardus that I can spend time and energy on this!

I can confirm your workaround fixes the problem- until a reboot, of course.

Best wishes,

Andy

caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 19:21:29 PM »

I'm afraid I'm still getting the on again, off again little black rectangle over the K menu on my system as well.  It's not fixed... yet. 
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 05:28:03 AM »

I'm seeing these short little lines blinking at the top also, but only noticeable when I have a window up that high and there's a bright background for the little lines to dance on.

I have an ATI 4650 Radeon PCI Express, using the proprietary driver, so this is not limited to nVidia.

I solved the issue with the procedure (as laid out by andyb above)
System Settings>Windows Behaviour>Screen Edges> De-select "Maximise windows by dragging to the top of the screen"  and "Tile windows by dragging them to the side of the screen"
but it's back after a few re-boots.

[Later] I returned to the System Settings routine, re-checked the two boxes, logged out and in, and the lines are gone for now. Go figure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:16:36 AM by DavidD » Logged

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 20:38:23 PM »

See Bug 16210, Comment 12 for an apparent solution:

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=16210#c12

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 17:11:54 PM »

Yes, this is fixed for me.  Out of curiosity, I had to play with the Server line to see what it would do. 
Played enough and now back to Fatih's fix.  So far, the hyphens are gone.
Thanks, DavidD.
Lisa Marie

* snapshot10.png (36.81 KB, 640x88 - viewed 185 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: