Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 00:15:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  New Pardus User from Florida
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Pardus User from Florida  (Read 1555 times)
Craig
« on: January 28, 2011, 14:14:50 PM »

Hello everyone,

I started using Pardus yesterday after reading about it for a few days. I'm blown away! I'm really surprised that this distro is down at #35 on Distrowatch. This is the best distro, especially the best KDE distro I've come across but not many people seem to know much about it.  We'll have to change that.

Craig
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 14:27:58 PM »

and wait for the things to come yet....
BellaPup
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 15:46:19 PM »

Welcome Craig and Enjoy!!  Smiley
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 15:49:27 PM »

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forum!  Glad to hear you are enjoying Pardus.  I think you are our first Floridian.  Smiley

Lisa Marie
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 16:39:34 PM »

Hi, Craig,

Welcome to the Pardus Worldforum. Although this is not as large or active a forum as some, there is no shortage of friendly, helpful people -- with an international flavor. I hope you'll feel at home here.

I agree with your assessment that Pardus is a real "sleeper" which deserves more widespread recognition. I read occasional comments dismissing it as a "niche distro" but I don't agree with them. The developers built the distro completely from scratch, and have created some very useful tools, such as the YALI installer, the Control Center, the Boot Manager (which makes multibooting Linux much easier -- it can also handle booting GRUB2-based distros) and the first-run Kaptan Desktop Assistant.

One standard criticism I see regarding Pardus is the smaller size of its repository. This is valid, but the developers are working hard to add more PiSi packages of apps. I installed 2011 two days ago, and at this point, the two applications I'm missing (but can live without, if necessary, since I have them available in other distros) are Abiword and Gnucash. Almost all the other software I regularly use is already there, including TeX Live, Kile and Emacs-AUCTeX.

I've been using Pardus since the 2009 release and it continues to impress me; it is stable and runs smoothly on my hardware. I haven't tried every KDE 4 implementation out there, but IMHO Pardus's is one of the best. It compares very favorably to PCLinuxOS, another of my longtime favorites.

If you haven't found it yet, take a look at the English-language Wiki (largely put together by atolboo). It has lots of tips, tricks and useful info:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Main_Page

You can find a contents list of the 2011 repo here:

http://packages.pardus.org.tr/

I hope you too will enjoy using Pardus.

=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Craig
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 21:13:25 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

People who think this is a niche distro must think that it's just for Turkish people or for government use. The English version works just fine as an awesome desktop distro!  Grin

I did notice the small repo but it has everything that I need. I would like to learn how to make PiSi files and maybe contribute in some way to a community repo if I can. That was one thing I never had to do in K/Ubuntu. If it wasn't in the repos, there was a PPA or a deb file for it somewhere but that comes with popularity.
hokie47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 16:18:26 PM »

Hello everyone,

I started using Pardus yesterday after reading about it for a few days. I'm blown away! I'm really surprised that this distro is down at #35 on Distrowatch. This is the best distro, especially the best KDE distro I've come across but not many people seem to know much about it.  We'll have to change that.

Craig

Welcome Craig!   I live in Sarasota, Florida
I have used Pardus since late 2007 but, have not visited the forum in awhile. The last time I did that I could not remember my user name or password and had to re-register. I have tested Links distributions since 2004. Pardus has been my main operating system. It has everything I want or need. If I can help, let me know.
You will like it here.
DavidH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 18:51:25 PM »

There aren't many KDE distros that do anything different. The only ones that do are Pardus, OpenSUSE and Mandriva. They are the  only ones that have something extra all the others are a standard oxygen KDE desktop with a brand name. They don't change the theme(or the desktop background) , or provide anything that makes it different. There aren't many good KDE distro spins out there but am pleased to say Pardus is one that is doing things from scratch with fresh ideas and a different take on things from the others. So it's far from Niche it just needs some more advertising to get it up that Distrowatch list!
John A
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 19:52:06 PM »

I would be little more information about Pardus in pages like this:
http://www.linux.com/community/forums

Then I think more will take a look at it. Smiley
Craig
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 18:39:25 PM »

Hello everyone,

Craig

Welcome Craig!   I live in Sarasota, Florida
I have used Pardus since late 2007 but, have not visited the forum in awhile. The last time I did that I could not remember my user name or password and had to re-register. I have tested Links distributions since 2004. Pardus has been my main operating system. It has everything I want or need. If I can help, let me know.
You will like it here.

I'm only about an hour south of you in Rotonda, which is west of Port Charlotte. I started using Linux about 2 years ago.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: