Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:21:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Long Youtube videos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Youtube videos  (Read 1004 times)
Kranthi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2011, 19:59:07 PM »

Hi,
The system was not responding if i saw a long movie on youtube in full screen. it does not happen for html 5 files.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbB8bwJHzIM&feature=related

The Cube
Craig
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 20:56:09 PM »

You can switch Youtube to HTML5 here http://www.youtube.com/html5

The video worked fine in full screen. Smiley
Kranthi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 21:33:57 PM »

Html5 works fine in full screen.
After i watch that movie for some time, the os gets stuck.
 A blank screen shows and the sound continues.
i try to alt-tab, alt-f2, alt-f1 nothing works, even pressing the shut down button does not work.
i have to force shut down by holding the button.

The Cube
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »

It's not just YouTube.  I tried to watch a program on CBS.com.  Sometimes switching to full screen caused Firefox to lock up.  Other times it worked fine for 5 or 10 minutes and then locked.  In some cases everything just locked, in others the video froze but the audio kept going.  In all these cases none of the controls for the video or Firefox in general worked.  I had to CTRL-ALT-ESC to bring up the skull and crossbones to kill Firefox and start over.

Sadly CBS.com doesn't work in the other browsers installed.  I haven't tried Opera yet.

I noticed that Firefox is at 4.0 beta 9.  Are there any plans to package beta 10 anytime soon?  I can get it from upstream, of course, but that kind of defeats the idea of using a package manager and sticking with what the distro supports.
Craig
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 19:58:22 PM »

Are you guys using 64 bit or 32? 64 bit flash has always been a problem for me, even when a 32 bit wrapper was used on my last 64 bit install on another distro. 32 bit Flash on a 32 bit OS hasn't given me such problems.

caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 20:09:26 PM »

I use both 32-bit and 64-bit.  The problem is definitely there on 32-bit and it works fine in other distros which still use Firefox 3.6.x.  The problem is specific to Firefox 4.

FWIW, the newest 64-bit flash-square beta has been absolutely problem free for me in 64-bit environments.
Craig
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 20:19:03 PM »

Maybe it's time I give 64 bit a try again.  I would have thought that Flash would behave the same in all browsers since it's the same plug-in but apparently not. I like using Rekonq. It reminds me of a native Chromium. Wink

I have heard that as soon as Corporate 2 is finished, they will update 2011 and the repos. Hopefully, that'll include FF beta 10.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: