Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 16:57:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  LVM
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LVM  (Read 2453 times)
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
LVM
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

I was trying to do a fresh install of 11 on a hard disk. I wanted to go for LVM not the standard partitioning to get a better understanding of this exciting concept.

This is what I did:

I first created a physical partition for /boot with a size of 500MB.
Then I created a physical volume (PV1) with a size of 35 GB.
I created a Volume Group (VG1) with a physical extent of 4MB
Later on three Logical Volumes (LVs) were created for /home (5GB), /(5GB), and swap (1GB).

The installation finished without errors. However, on boot up, it said volume group not found and could not boot!

Can anyone throw some light on the possible causes and remedial actions.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »

I found this very interesting article: >How to configure LVM on Pardus 2011<.
I also created  Bug 16081 - Why is LVM used as default partition for Pardus 2011
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

Yep atolboo,

I followed this article, and tried twice but could not install successfully. I don't know what to do different the third time  Huh?

Or, do i have to install the conventional way  Undecided
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 17:51:47 PM »

I tried to use the default option, i.e., full hard disk. still same error.
I have two hds, one hd (sda1) inside laptop, the other external (sdb1). i am installing on the external one.

The error is as follows:

Reading all physical volumes
No volume group found
No volume group found
resume: could not stat the resume device file ┬┤/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv-swap┬┤
Please type in the full path to try again
or press ENTER to boot

:'(
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

Guys, please help me! How come I am facing problems in default installation on an external drive??
SW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »

I tried to use the default option, i.e., full hard disk. still same error.
Strange, because default option (using LVM) always worked for me.

Is Your installation disk okay and did You checked the checksum of Your downloaded ISO?  Undecided
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »

yes, checked the MD5 after download and then later on checked the integrity while installation. I believe it is becoz i am installing on an external HD (sdb1). I asked GRUB to be installed on sdb1 of course (or should i ask it to install GRUB on the 'partition where pardus is installed'?)

now when it is trying to find the logical volume inside the physical volume (sdb2) it is giving me errors, 'volume group not found'.

SW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »

I believe it is becoz i am installing on an external HD (sdb1).
This was also in my mind.
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »

I think there should be a workaround (such as modifying grub, etc.). If there is no way it can be installed on an external HD, then, in my opinion this qualifies as a bug
SW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »

Feel free to fill a bugreport!  Wink
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 16:58:50 PM »

I think there should be a workaround (such as modifying grub, etc.). If there is no way it can be installed on an external HD, then, in my opinion this qualifies as a bug

I've not tried LVM, but I have installed 2011 on an external hard drive using custom partitioning so if there is a problem it must be the combination of External+LVM, or be specific to certain hardware.

The procedure I followed (disk selection stuff only) was:
Code:
[Ensure that USB HDD is ahead of internal HDD in the BIOS boot sequence (The order I have is CD, USB, Internal).]
Select disk --> /dev/sdb
Custom partitioning: Make 3 partitions: 15Gb for /, 1Gb for swap and the rest (about 23 Gb) for /home.
Install grub on MBR of /dev/sdb

I was actually somewhat surprised that it found the Kubuntu boot options from /dev/sda & lists them as well (though I think that the machine has been upgraded through enough Kubuntu releases it may not have transitioned to grub2).

Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:32:41 AM »

Thanks James, will try it today. I think with custom partitioning it should work. although last time i tried with custom partitioning but my focus was to install with LVM support. I tried to follow the article as mentioned by atolboo in the thread before.

By the way, these partitions (/, /home, /swap) were they physical or extended in your case?

I think by default Pardus installs LVM, however, with custom made standard partitions, LVM may be disabled???
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 16:30:50 PM »

Mahmood: I was not saying that I had a solution to what you wanted to do, only that the problem had to be in the interaction of LVM & external drive rather than a general external drive issue.

FWIW: The partitions are all physical as that seems to be the current default behaviour and I was just doing a quick & dirty install to assist in chasing down a wireless network or keyboard bug.

And yes, the custom configuration does disable LVM (I didn't look closely enough to see if there's an option to do custom with LVM).
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:02:37 AM »

I finally managed to install in my external drive after abandoning the idea of LVM. I created three physical partitions and it was installed correctly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: