Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:58:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Another Review From LinuxBSDos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Review From LinuxBSDos  (Read 723 times)
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »

www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/01/25/pardus-2011-review/

There are several other LinuxBSDos Pardus reviews already mentioned in this forum. This one is for the personal version of Pardus 2011.

I find "glowing reviews" to be worthless. I want to be warned about possible pitfalls before I start the install. This review notes that Yali recovers nicely from possible crashes, and gives a link to instructions on LVM partitioning.

I know a fair amount about partitioning from my DOS days, when you had to figure out the partition parameters by doing the math yourself. (I've forgotten most of it due to lack of use)  But I don't know anything about LVM. The accompanying article gives me the confidence to go ahead and try it.

Does this mean that Pardus 2011 should be a fresh install and not just an update from within Pardus 2009.2? I've already created a bunch of standard partitions using whatever Mandiva 2009 had in its GUI based installer. Is it possible to install Pardus 2011 to one of these if I find problems with LVM?

Remember: only you can prevent forum fires!
John A
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:32:32 AM »

If you used Pardus 2009 it would automatic update to 2009.1 and 2009.2. But Pardus 2011 is a new developed line, thats why its name is not 2009.3
So in my opinion a fresh install is to recomend. But maybe other here have some more info on this subject.
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:33 AM »

an upgrade path is being developed, that will install like a normal pisi.
Either wait for that, or reinstall if you have a seperate /home just reinstall as you data is safe anyway
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »

.... But maybe other here have some more info on this subject.
>This post< is all I know. Grin
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 13:11:46 PM »

Grin

Thats a much fuller explanation.
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:36:33 AM »

Thanks for the answers, guys. I was a little unclear about whether Pardus 2011 requires LVM, and if so, how could 2009 update to 2011 with the new partitioning scheme. Further reading shows it is just an option, not a requirement. It looks like LVM has a lot of advantages; so, I'm thinking of using it anyway.

Remember: only you can prevent forum fires!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: