Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:30:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Grub2 entry Pardus 2011
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grub2 entry Pardus 2011  (Read 6231 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 16:10:16 PM »

Hi kalwisti,

I'm finally back after  re-installing my distros and went ahead and did XP, too.  My husband gave me a rolling eyes look, but I wanted to try something different.  Yes, I've read that it is preferred to install the secondary, third, etc, linux distros' grub to their / root partition, and this I have done this time around.  (I learn the slow way  Cheesy ) My old way of doing it is only wearing out the MBR with all the grub installs.  Shocked
I also decided to have / and /home on separate partitions, too. 
I'm not finished trying out grub2 as the main bootloader, to see if I can add Pardus to it, but it will take some reading and learning on my part. 
I ended up saving the manual altolboo shared, as it is very informative, but I got stuck on the part about creating a shell like script.   I am taking the advice from the manual about using grub legacy as my main grub for now.  It works and has been around for many years.  Plus, Pardus is my main distro.

I did take notice of Pardus install and before getting to the main install screen.  It came up fine, with maybe just a flash of white before getting to the acceptance screen.  I have an nVidia 8500 gt pci-e card and didn't have to install using safe mode setting. 

Thanks for the added information.  I appreciate it.
Lisa Marie

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:24 AM »

I went ahead and experimented with Grub2 as boot menu entry just to see if it would work.  I didn't think it would be so easy, but it was after finding a how-to that gave simple instructions.

I have two hard drives (non-RAID), XP is installed on the first hard drive.  I use my second hard drive for Pardus, my main distro, and playing with other Linux distros.  I installed the other Linux distros first, allowing each to install Grub to their particular root partitions.  I installed Pardus last, and allowed it to install its Grub on the MBR of the first hard drive, sda.  That done, I had a nice Pardus 2011 Grub menu to boot into.
I then followed this how-to from Just Another Blog on the Net, to use a live disc to re-install Grub2 to the MBR.  I decided to use moonOS, which has a Ubuntu-based Grub2 entry on root partition, sdb13. 

partial output of my fdisk -l (yes, I have too many os's I am testing  Cheesy )
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63   146914424    73457181    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes

/dev/sdb13      509212368   559527884    25157758+  83  Linux (moonOS partition w/Grub2)

I started the moonOS live disk and opened terminal and did according to instructions:
sudo mount /dev/sdb13 /mnt (click 'enter')

Then I ran the Grub re-install command according to instructions:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda (click 'enter')

Exit from terminal and reboot.  Boot into the distro that has the Grub2 menu entry you just re-installed, and open terminal:
sudo update-grub2 (click 'enter')
and it will search for other operating systems and add them. Reboot, and I can successfully select Pardus from Grub2 menu and boot into it.

This is Pardus entry in moonOS' grub.cfg file:
Code:
menuentry "Pardus 2011 [2.6.37] (on /dev/sdb5)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
linux /boot/kernel-2.6.37 root=UUID=(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
 resume=/dev/sdb9 quiet splash blacklist=nouveau
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.37

I have since re-installed Pardus Grub using Pardus Wiki How-To since it is my  main distro and I have more confidence in Grub Legacy.  My hard drive says, "Leave me alone!" and I will do just that.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: