Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:16:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Weird problem with wireless (Broadcom 4312 chipset) in Pardus 2011 [SOLVED]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird problem with wireless (Broadcom 4312 chipset) in Pardus 2011 [SOLVED]  (Read 2369 times)
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »

I installed Pardus 2011 on my HP Mini 110 netbook (see: http://en.pardus-wiki.org/HP_Compaq_Mini_110).  It was absolutely the easiest distro install I've ever seen on this netbook.  Everything was properly detected including the Broadcom 4312 wireless chipset and I didn't have to do anything special to get the installer to run.  This was a big improvement over Pardus 2009.  

I thought everything was just fine until someone else in the house reported that wireless performance was horrible and that they could barely surf the web.  I was having no problems.  I exited out of Firefox and had the machine completely idle and they reported the same problem on their machine running that other OS.  Anyway, I restarted the machine a booted into another distro (the netbook is dual-boot) and the problem went away and their performance was normal.  If I booted back into Pardus the minute I connected to the wireless network nobody else could use it due to poor performance.

I don't know if the problem is the new open source Broadcom driver, the version of network manager used in Pardus 2011, or something else in the wireless stack.  I do know that the other distro doesn't have the problem using the same hardware.

Any clues?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:49:11 AM by caitlyn » Logged
SW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »

My WLAN with Pardus 2011 was also very slow. After I tried free DNS numbers in the Network-Manager my speed increased a lot. For a list on free dns numbers search for the following key words:   free dns server

Or have a look here: http://www.dnsserverlist.org/
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 18:28:45 PM »

Another issue look at /etc/hosts

it leaves references to Pardus2011, even if you've changed your hostname.
Ihave now amended mine and the whole desktop is snappier
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 20:12:14 PM »

I think you guys are misunderstanding me.  My speed on the netbook is just fine.  It's everybody else on the network that suffers  Undecided  This is an absolute show-stopper for me.

The one thing I did find is that ipv6 is enabled by default.  I did away with those entries and we'll see if that makes a difference.

On all my systems, regardless of distro, DNS is set automatically by DHCP and is pointed at my router.  That always works on the netbook.  I need to leave it that way because I do use this as a portable device quite a lot.  In any case, DNS settings would effect resolution speed on my system but not impact others on the network.
SW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 22:11:58 PM »

Ah, now I see. Sorry for my sketchy reading. Honestly? I have no clue!   Huh?

Have You tried also wired LAN on the Netbook? Then You can see if something is wrong with WLAN or something elementary.
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 23:03:11 PM »

Wired networking caused no such problem.  Removing the ipv6 configuration seems to have corrected the problem.  I want to do more testing to be certain before I mark this solved.
SW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 00:27:31 AM »

Good to hear. Maybe your WLAN Router/Access Point is causing the lack of speed when Pardus tries IPV6 connections. If this is really the solution, could You please give us some information where You removed the IPV6 config.

Greetings from germany
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »

If this is really the solution, could You please give us some information where You removed the IPV6 config.

/etc/hosts  Smiley

I'll know for sure when the person who saw the problem in the first place can test it.
EDIT:  Yep, that did it.  I still think it's weird but probably something on our network (the wireless router maybe) didn't know what to do with IPv6 and choked on it.  Anyway, it's fixed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:50:19 AM by caitlyn » Logged
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:37 AM »

Caitlyn et al,

Is it possible that the presence of IPV6 settings in /etc/hosts could cause any of the following problems, some of which* I've been having since the big update last week:
- resetting the clock to UTC on reboot
- intermittent screensaver failure to start*
- inability to log out/restart/shutdown*
- a couple of hard system lockups*

Roll Eyes

My router is prepared for IPV6 but my ISP (cable, but not one of the biggies in the U.S.) is not.

Reason I ask this possibly ridiculous question is that I suffered a hard lockup yesterday while replying to e-mail. My clock stopped and there was no mouse or keyboard response. Because today I had been unable to reboot, I began looking for discussion in the forum on these matters. I ran across Caitlyn's post, decided it was worth a try to comment out the IPV6 statements in /etc/hosts on this wired machine (I'm thinking about putting Pardus on a laptop with a Broadcom 4318), did an REISUB to restart, and, when I got to the desktop, not only was my clock correct but also I'm now getting a response to log out, restart, or shutdown initiation.

I haven't checked out the screensaver yet, as it seems even more farfetched to think it could be affected by IPV6 settings. OK, you can stop rolling your eyes now. I'm just thinking too much here without sufficient credentials.

David  Embarrassed

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 19:11:04 PM »

Yes the whole desktop enviroment uses networking, specially the loopback.
Try editing //etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

add alias net-pf-10 off

to disable ipv6 and see what that does Smiley
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 21:08:27 PM »

Yes the whole desktop enviroment uses networking, specially the loopback.
Try editing //etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

add alias net-pf-10 off

to disable ipv6 and see what that does Smiley

Done, with thanks, although I've had no problem since making the comment-out changes to IPV6 references in /etc/hosts last night. Clock is good, screensaver works, logout works, no lockups.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »

Take comment out, and see if it still behaves. The missing line in hosts could cause an issue if something on your system looks for an ipv6 connection. By disabling the module the system knows there is no ipv6 available
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 21:22:09 PM »

Take comment out, and see if it still behaves. The missing line in hosts could cause an issue if something on your system looks for an ipv6 connection. By disabling the module the system knows there is no ipv6 available

Did that, but as soon as I rebooted and arrived at the desktop, I saw agin the message that includes "Cannot connect to K launcher" and some other "cannot connect" words preceding that -- all of which was something I failed to mention upstream as an additional symptom alongside shutdown, screensaver, and the others -- and which, like the others, had disappeared.

I'm keeping the modprobe.conf line that you suggested, but I've returned to editi /etc/hosts, commenting all the lines below this one:

# IPV6 versions of localhost and co

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: