Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:41:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  New to Pardus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to Pardus  (Read 1540 times)
sling-shot

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2010, 21:24:06 PM »

I have been using PCLinuxOS for the past 3 years. I am happy with it.
Saw a very good review at http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/06/final-review-pardus-20092.html
Did a spin of the installer in VirtualBox. Became very happy with the polish and attention to detail.
Hence have gone ahead and installed in a spare partition.
(Not yet been able to use it though - that is a different matter)
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:09:19 AM »

Hello sling-shot,

welcome here in the great Community.  Wink  Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 16:13:34 PM »

Hi, sling-shot,

Welcome from a fellow PCLOS user (and member of Distro Hoppers Anonymous -- I backslid today and bought another pack of blank CD-Rs).  Smiley I thought I recognized your handle from the PCLOS Forums. Although I still consider PCLinuxOS to be my "home" distro, I've used Pardus for about six months and am very impressed with it. I think that it approaches PCLOS's level of polish and ease of use.

I hope you'll have fun using Pardus, too. The Worldforum here is not as large as PCLOS's, but it has friendly people who are willing to help -- and contrary to what you might have read, they do speak English (not just Turkish).

You might want to take a look at the Pardus Wiki, which offers good tips and how-to's:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Main_Page

The package manager is called PiSi (which is also the Turkish word for 'kitty' or 'kitten'); it can be used via a GUI or the Konsole. The repos are steadily growing, and they even have the new version of KMyMoney and Skrooge. So I think you'll probably be able to find most of the applications you need.

=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:29:51 AM »

I have been using PCLinuxOS for the past 3 years. I am happy with it.
Saw a very good review at http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/06/final-review-pardus-20092.html
Did a spin of the installer in VirtualBox. Became very happy with the polish and attention to detail.
Hence have gone ahead and installed in a spare partition.
(Not yet been able to use it though - that is a different matter)

Hi sling-shot,

welcome to the "world of Pardus" !  Grin

I was also an PCLinuxOS user for long time. I helped in the German PCLinuxOS.de community (which is now closed) in their moderation team. After PCLinuxOS I founded the German Community for Pardus: www.PardusUser.de
Today (after two years) the German Pardus communtiy grows and grows. We just love Pardus!!!!  Cheesy

Pardus GNU/Linux is a great distro, enjoy it sling-shot !  Smiley

Regards,
G├╝rkan aka "LinuxFanatic"

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
sling-shot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 17:38:14 PM »

Just updating the post to indicate that I have recently installed Pardus 2011 and I am finding it even better than 2009. You guys are going to see me around I suppose this time.
- SS.
Leonard
Pardus is Awesomeness Quantified in Byte Form

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 21:41:53 PM »

I also used to use PCLOS until the last batch at the end of 2010. The graphics chip in my 2003 Gateway E-4000 can't handle the newer Pclos and kept cutting out to a black screen:- I think it was the BFS scheduler they put into the Linux kernel. Then I tried Linux mint 10 KDE which worked very good with the KDE 4.6. Now I use since 2 days ago Pardus Corporate 2 since I saw it on Distrowatch because it has KDE 3.5.10 which works even better on this computer. I used Pardus before (Pardus 2007) I love the KDE 3.5 because I can get my hands into it much deeper and it works much snappier with its less graphics intensive interface. I love Pardus because everything works so well and stable. Turkish genious involved in this system. Also the corporate edition promises to be supported for many years meaning I can keep using this fine system without any drastic changes to an already excellent system. Big howdies to all of you awesome Pardus users from here in Kitchener Ontario Canada 100km or 60 miles from Toronto. Pardus Oh Yeah! Wink
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 21:44:05 PM by Leonard » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: