Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:04:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Thunderbird Mail Notification
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thunderbird Mail Notification  (Read 1923 times)
Glyn

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 14:21:23 PM »

Please can someone advise how I can set up a new mail notification for Thunderbird (either tray or desktop) similar to what I had with my previous system (Mint 10 Gnome). This needs to check 3 pop accounts.

I have KMail working well enough but I much prefer Thunderbird.

Many thanks.
willy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 14:53:16 PM »

If you have the old data of Thunderbird from Mint10,you can open a terminal and give the following command:
thunderbird -profilemanager
And then create profile->next-> and then chose the folder with the old data of Thunderbird->finish->Start Thunderbird
Then you have Thunderbird the same like in Mint10
Glyn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 15:00:12 PM »

Thank you for responding but I'm not sure I understand.

I have Thunderbird installed fine and all my accounts configured.  What I need to see is a permanent figure somewhere to inform me that new mails have arrived, as happens with the KMail panel icon.  Currently, if I miss the Thunderbird popup notification then I don't know that new mail has arrived until I open the main window
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 15:44:54 PM »

Hi Glyn

Have you tried the Firetray extension for Thunderbird?  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firetray/ It shows the number of unread emails in the inbox, by marking the tray icon.

I use it in Ubuntu (I prefer kmail in Pardus).  However, it doesn't always play that well with the latest builds of Thunderbird, so I have to use an older version of Tbird.  That might be difficult to track down for Pardus, I guess.

I can let you know the exact versions I use, if you like?  I'd give it a try, and see whether it works for you.
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 16:31:01 PM »

Just to confirm:

I've just tried this in Pardus, and it (almost) works.  I've got the tray icon, showing the number of unread emails.

However, when I reboot, the window is maximised, even though I've stipulated "start the program minimised in the preferences.  After that, it behaves.

Maybe you can live with that?  Or maybe you'll need to seek out an older version of Thunderbird.  I use thunderbird_3.0.10 on Ubuntu, which works perfectly (3.1.7 is current in Pardus 2009.2).

One of the reasons I use kmail!  Best of luck.
Glyn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 17:41:33 PM »

Thanks very much.  Funnily enough I'd read a lot of negatives about this and already dismissed it. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read! Installed and (so far) working perfectly with the current Thunderbird version in Pardus 2011.

Much appreciated
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 17:51:30 PM »

Glad it works Glyn.

All the best
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 22:44:24 PM »

What I need to see is a permanent figure somewhere to inform me that new mails have arrived....
I use GKrellM for that and it also has other monitors.
You can always try it and see if you like it Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: