Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:46:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Boot Screen. (Solved)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boot Screen. (Solved)  (Read 1036 times)
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »

Does anyone know how to disable the Boot Screen on Pardus? Other Distros have a Startup manger, but I cant find one in Pardus or in the Repositories. I can however change the time the boot screen stays active from 10 seconds to 1 second, but I'd like to turn the boot screen off somehow.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 13:46:40 PM by Joseph » Logged

John A
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

Take a look at this:
http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:How_To

It says here:

"How to disable login screen?
Following the way of "Pardus > Tasma > System > Login manager > Convenience " go to Convenience section.You must be "root" here, so press the "Administrator Mode" button at the bottom of the window and write your root password.There is small box on the left of "Enable Auto login".Put a tick on that box and press on "OK" button at the bottom of the window."

Its no Tasma in Pardus 2011 so go to the "system settings" and look there (screenshot from Pardus 2009.2).

* ccenter1-502x411.png (153.77 KB, 502x411 - viewed 67 times.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 15:09:30 PM by John A » Logged
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »

I don't think you understand what I'm referring to. I know how to set up the Login screen to log me in automatically, but I'm referring to the boot screen. I'm talking about the screen that loads when you first start the system up, I'm not sure what it's called (Boot Loader maybe?)

It's the very first screen that has the Pardus logo on it, it's the screen that gives you different booting options. All I'm looking to do is have it automatically choose the boot at startup without me having to hit (enter) or wait for the loader to count down.

I set it to count down starting a 1 second, but having that screen load at the beginning just bugs me... I've tried setting it to 0 seconds, but Pardus wont accept 0, the lowest I can go is 1 sec.

I don't mean to sound like a nitpicker, but I like to have control over my Operating systems and have them act the way I want them too.

Thanks for your Help John, I appreciate it... I just dont think I've been clear enough on what I'm talking about, I wish I could show you the screen I'm talking about.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »

It is the boot loader. It's under Boot Manager in System Settings in 2011, then click the wrench, but you probably knew that.

If it won't allow you to go below 1 second, it's probably to give you the chance to be able to do something if your system ever bonks.

Hopefully someone will come along with a fix. Have you been able to do that with other distros? I've never tried. To be honest, I hardly ever shut down my system so it doesn't bother me much but I understand liking control over your system.
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »

Hey Craig!
Yeah, you have access to those setting in most Ubuntu based distros, the program to change these settings is called "Startup Manager", but I'm unable to find a package for it... I've added all the Repo lists from this message board that are listed for my version of Pardus and It's nowhere to be found. (I'm using the 32-bit variant.)

That's why I was asking in another thread what Pardus was based off of, I figure if it's not Ubuntu or Debian based, I'm probably going to have to live with it.  Cheesy (But that would be OK.)

Craig
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »

LOL! Joseph, after seeing your post about what Pardus was based on and then seeing this, I sort of figured that was the reason you had asked.  Smiley

If "startup manager" is FOSS, it should be installable, even if by source. If not, and there is no CLI way of doing it, I'm sorry.  I'm also glad it would be okay with you.   Smiley

Pardus needs more users, more contributors, and deserves more attention overall.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »

I'm talking about the screen that loads when you first start the system up, I'm not sure what it's called (Boot Loader maybe?)
This is the boot loader and is done by the Grub system http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
Pardus ( and ....) uses GRUB Legacy while some other distro (Ubuntu, ...) are using GRUB 2.
See also this Adding a GRUB 2 item in the boot-menu of Pardus (GRUB Legacy Wiki.

... I've tried setting it to 0 seconds, but Pardus wont accept 0, the lowest I can go is 1 sec.
The settings for GRUB Legacy are in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and can only be changed by the administrator (=root).
To set this to 0 do:

1. Open Dolphin and goto > Root > boot > grub ( in short /boot/grub).
2. Right-click on the file menu.lst > Root Actions > Open as Text.
3. Enter Root password and after some seconds (only the first time) the file will be opened in kwrite.
4. Change "timeout .." > "timeout 0" > Save and close kwrite.
5. Restart your computer.
(I hope this solves your discomfort Grin)
Craig
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »

<---- There's a reason this penguin has a tool in his hand.  Smiley
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 13:33:38 PM »

That did the trick Atolboo!
You Sir, are the Man!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 13:45:52 PM by Joseph » Logged