Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 17:09:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Pardus review that needs your attention!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus review that needs your attention!!  (Read 1470 times)
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »

Attention Pardus users, this guy didn't do Pardus justice on a virtual box and I think some comments from real users would help the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXN1MX2jNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10PQ8SFetY

Zorin isn't even in the same league as Pardus, not even close.

John A
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 17:40:00 PM »

I have seen the review. And I have add a comment there to. I think its not possible to judge a operating system if not do a real installation and have used it for some time.
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 18:09:51 PM »

pisi must update automatically after installation i think. cos most of users cant realise they must update repos first (like as the review  Smiley)...

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 20:01:08 PM »

This reviewer is not very serious. According to him, a stable distribution is a distribution that doesn't crash immediately after its installation !

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Craig
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:43 AM »

I commented this morning. I'm wormmy1 lol.

Joseph, If you're Tellthetruth, you're very passionate about your Pardus!  Smiley

I must say though, he did give it the benefit of the doubt that the slowness was due to the VM and he did have many good things to say about it. Anyone who goes there will see our comments and realize that the video is not an accurate representation of Pardus. Most people will look at more than one review too. So, I don't think it hurts Pardus too much. Smiley

Having said that, I never would have published a review of ANY distro that looked like that if I suspected it was due to the VM. It'd be an inaccurate representation.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:02:06 AM by Craig » Logged
Craig
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »

pisi must update automatically after installation i think. cos most of users cant realise they must update repos first (like as the review  Smiley)...

It would be ideal to have it update by default immediately after connecting to the internet.

It would also be nice if Pardus could become more compatible with virtual machines. The more popular distros have their settings built in by the VMs. So, if you're trying out SUSE, you just tell the VM that's what you're installing and it works properly. Pardus is very different from the rest but they  (VMs) offer no pre-configured settings for it.  Sad
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:00:41 AM by Craig » Logged
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:09 AM »

I commented this morning. I'm wormmy1 lol.

Joseph, If you're Tellthetruth, you're very passionate about your Pardus!  Smiley

I must say though, he did give it the benefit of the doubt that the slowness was due to the VM and he did have many good things to say about it. Anyone who goes there will see our comments and realize that the video is not an accurate representation of Pardus. Most people will look at more than on review too. So, I don't think it hurts Pardus too much. Smiley

Having said that, I never would have published a review of ANY distro that looked like that if I suspected it was due to the VM. It'd be in an inaccurate misrepresentation.

I admit, I'm xxTellTheTruthxx. I know he said some good things about Pardus and I know I may go overboard at times, but his crafty comment about Pardus being "Bloated" was what set me off. He may have corrected himself right after he said it, but it was the way he did it that got under my skin. He said Pardus was a Bloated OS, then he said, well maybe bloated isn't the right word, so he called it "full featured."

If I was a new user and heard him say it was Bloated (even though he corrected himself) looking at that review and how slow it was running would make that bloated comment stick in my head and I wouldn't bother trying Pardus out.

I understand he made a point to mention Pardus wasn't running well on the VM, but he said it was the slowest install he's ever done and he said that a number of times. But you're right Craig, he should have never published that review with the errors and problems Pardus was having on his VM. I mean it's good to get the word out so others can see Pardus, but to do it in the way he did made Pardus look like a slow, bloated, barely usable operating system.... you gotta think, how many new Linux users even know what a "Virtual Machine is"?  The point of spreading Linux is to get Windows and Mac users to switch. Windows users are looking for an OS that is easy to use and usable out of the box, were everything just works.

IDK, I'm done ranting.... I just didn't like that review.... I guess I'll have to make my own.  Cheesy

John A
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:13:49 AM »

I like the review in Distrowatch best. Not just for Pardus:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus

But there they but the most serious reviews.
JoanRC
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »

I don't know why he thinks Pardus needs 1G of ram. I left a comment saying that Pardus runs fine on my machine, which is 5 years old with only 1G. I can run several large programmes along with the OS, which would not be possible if the OS itself required 1G. I had plenty of memory issues with Vista on this machine, but not with Pardus.

He did repeatedly point out that Pardus looks very professional. I found Pardus 2011 to be disappointing after using Pardus 2009. The grey splash screens just don't show off the graphics capablilites the way 2009's beautifull reds do. Red is not my favourite colour, but Pardus reds are beautifull.

Remember: only you can prevent forum fires!
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:56 AM »

This guy did not stop me from checking and testing Pardus 2011 this month.  Too many other reviews -- both written and video -- had too many good things to say about it.  And, I am doing it with a LiveDVD!  Yes, it is slow, but for obvious reasons.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: