Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 16:42:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  200 line Kernel Patch for Pardus?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 200 line Kernel Patch for Pardus?  (Read 1159 times)
Craig
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »

Is there any word if the next update will include the 200 line kernel patch?

The reason I ask is that I've just read that openSUSE will be including it in 11.4 this month.

http://omgsuse.com/content/incredible-improvement-linux-desktop-224-lines

Another question: If we compile the kernel ourselves, how do we choose it at start-up? In Ubuntu, I had a list of all kernels that were ever installed and I could choose which one to use by arrowing down the list. Is there any way to do this in Pardus?
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 23:49:03 PM »

I too would like to know about this. Would be nice to see how it effects performance.
SW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 23:50:08 PM »

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

This patch improves sharing the load between processes under heavy load.
e.g. compiling & watching a HD-video in the same time

You won´t recognize a lot when You writing a letter or anything else. Forecast is to include the patch into Kernel 2.6.38
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 00:03:02 AM »

Yeah, I know what it does. But it has been mentioned in many places that it can help breath a bit of new life into older computers and netbooks, and especially enhance multitasking with newer more powerful computers. Mind you, this is only what I have read and have not directly experienced it. Either way, there are similar alternatives to the kernel patch and has had very good effects of what I have read from here http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html among other places. It doesn't seem to work with Pardus though. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the set up of pardus to fix it myself. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will have more luck.
SW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 00:33:20 AM »

I don´t think that this patch will be included into pardus kernel, because as I said 2.6.38 is already on the horizon and the kernel will have the patch already inside.
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:34 AM »

Ok. With that said, does Pardus upgrade kernel releases, or is that kept for new Pardus releases?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: