Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 15:24:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  KDE 4.6
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KDE 4.6  (Read 4963 times)
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2011, 23:53:21 PM »

I'm just wondering if Pardus will be updating to KDE 4.6 or will it stay static with 4.5.5? I'm still new to pardus so I'm trying to figure out what to expect. And along with that, will Firefox 4.0 beta 9 be updated once it's out of beta and fully released?
SW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 00:37:23 AM »

The plan is to switch to KDE SC 4.6.x but I donĀ“t know when.
The developer said that he will start packaging 4.6.x after Pardus Corporate is released.
It might be a good idea to wait for a bugfixed versions because 4.6.0 has issues!

Of course final version of Firefox4 will also replace beta version.

Craig
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 00:57:14 AM »

4.6.1 is out. So I guess it could be any day now, right?
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:58 AM »

Thank you very much SW. You are very informative, hope I'm not becoming a pain. Where are you getting all this info?

Thanks again. Cheesy
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 15:10:56 PM »

..... Where are you getting all this info?
From >HERE< Grin
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 17:20:37 PM »

Is there anything new about when this could happen?
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »

Not so far. Be patient. I have looked into 4.6 a bit more, even though there are performance improvements there have also been some issues, so it's probably being tried out by the devs and I'm sure we'll see it when it's rock solid like the rest of pardus Cheesy
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:54 AM »

there have also been some issues
Maybe they were waiting for KDE 4.6.1, but it is out now.

Will they be putting out a brand new up to the minute download with all the current updates included for all software?
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »

well, when stuff is worked on and tested then it will eventually make the stable release. The key word there is "stable" so there is already a bunch of stuff in the testing repos (not kde 4.6 though). So they are still working out bugs and such. Don't forget the dev team isn't all that large. Plus they probably won't release certain things like Firefox and KDE till they deem it stable, usually the first couple of releases of KDE 4.X.0-1-2 aren't all that incredibly stable at least that's how it was with 4.3 4.4 and less so, but still with 4.5 even. Haven't tried 4.6 yet but I have heard mixed things about the stability of it.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »

I am trying to figure out when to go forward with this thing.  If they are about to release an updated download in the next couple of days, it would be worth waiting for.

Looking at the dates -- http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=pardus&month=all&year=all -- gives one the impression that they are close to another release.

The standard answer of "it is ready when it is ready" is true, but it is messing up any attempt at making any plans.
John A
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »

Here is a review of KDE 4.6

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2011/01/kde-sc-46-review.html
John A
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 20:56:55 PM »

I have ask about KDE 4.6 in the Pardus mailing list:
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-users/2011-March/000695.html

But I know Pardus can be little conservative from previous releases to implement new things if it got bugs and so on.
I dont know how stabile KDE 4.6 are at the moment.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 22:43:37 PM »

I saw your email on the mailing list, but doubt that you will get an answer.

The guy over at PCLinuxOS is also conservative and he has moved to 4.6 a little while ago.

Do you thing they will just have it as an update to the current release or will they also have an updated download for new installations?
Craig
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 00:02:02 AM »

The guy over at PCLinuxOS is also conservative and he has moved to 4.6 a little while ago.

Texstar? PCLOS is a good distro and I respect it but the forum has much to be desired. You'll get banned for even mentioning another distro over there. Too much zealotry for me. 
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »

The census so far has been varying stability on different distros so far as I can tell. With Opensuse 11.4 I have heard great things about the performance (likely due to kernel 2.6.38 and to KDE 4.6.0) but there is also lots of complaints about the stability of the system. Although, I have also seen some good stuff about KDE 4.6.0-1 on Arch. So it could be the packaging or something. If it is quite necessary for you to have it, although I wouldn't do it cause I'm not familiar enough with Pardus, but you could try building it yourself. Then you can assess it and maybe even help the devs out with it potentially.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: