Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:02:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Sapphire/ATI Radeon 9200/9250 PCI on Pardus 2011 driver needed
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sapphire/ATI Radeon 9200/9250 PCI on Pardus 2011 driver needed  (Read 4655 times)
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »

I'm brand new to Linux and Pardus but can someone point me in the right direction?
I'm trying to make a Radeon 9200/9250 video 256mb PCI card run on Pardus 2011.
It ran on my first install to an older ATA HD using the Tungsten driver.
But when I installed to my newer SATA HD I can only run it in the video "safe mode".
I know I need a newer card but I've got to work with what I have for now.
Any suggestions for a driver that might work along with install instructions?
I can't get the Tungsten driver to show in my options list on this install.
It did on the original install but it wouldn't reboot without going to video safe mode.
MSI KN8 neo 4 mobo
1 Gig ram
Pardus 2011
TIA
Craig
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 15:53:13 PM »

The proprietary ATI driver in the package manager is called xorg-video-fglrx and the free one is called xorg-video-radeon. You can install them through the package manager. Then go to System Settings, Display and Monitor, and Video Driver to select which driver you want to use.

Edit: Let me know how it goes. I can't get the proprietary driver to do anything on my machine with a Radeon X1950 Pro.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 16:49:58 PM by Craig » Logged
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »

I've installed both the x-org files but no luck.  Huh?
Neither one of those drivers show up in my drivers options list.
Only the generic driver still.
Hope you're having better luck with your 1950.
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:27:37 AM »

I was a diehard ATi fan-boy before I found Linux, but after having so many problems with the ATi drivers, no matter what version of Linux I used, I finally decided to switch to Nvidia.

You can pick up a decent (cheap) Nvidia card and all your problems would be solved. Nvidia has great driver support on Linux, ATi not so much.

I know this sucks to hear and it doesn't solve your problems, but from my experience, if you're going to use Linux, Nvidia is the way to go.

I picked up a cheap re-certified GTX 260 for under $80 and replaced my HD 4850... I haven't had a problem ever since.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »

And for new information about how to detect/install/etc. (in konsole) the video card driver in P2011, have a in this
>panda-helper - Grafikkartentreiber in der Konsole auswählen< topic.
I am about to make an English Wiki version of this topic. Wink
Alexey
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 17:58:42 PM »

corporation of good AMD dropped support for videocard is less than R600 core.
can only use the free radeon driver, and without 3D and hardware acceleration.
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 00:26:17 AM »

corporation of good AMD dropped support for videocard is less than R600 core.
can only use the free radeon driver, and without 3D and hardware acceleration.

That's another good reason to drop ATi, they could care less about their consumers who use Linux.

Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

I certainly hate to start an argument here, but I don't agree with you saying that AMD could care less about consumers who use linux. In fact, that is a complete fallacy. They are about to/or just hired a bunch of staff that are required to have linux dev background. They have released their their documentation for the open source world to view and use, plus they also employ a few devs that actually work on the open source version of the Radeon drivers. Admittedly they are a bit slower at implementing some of the newest features and getting the proprietary drivers to work with the newest kernels but they do work on it and also take some consideration into what the linux world is doing.

Nvidia does none of this. All the open source drivers for the Nvidia hardware are build from reverse engineering. Plus Nvidia has said they won't support certain future features of the linux kernel ever. (KMS).

However, with that said, last I checked the proprietary Nvidia drivers are still performing a bit better then AMD proprietary drivers, but I haven't checked it out in about a year and I have heard/read some amazing stuff about the latest AMD drivers.

It isn't just linux that AMD dropped support for the R600 core and older, they did the same on windows. So it's necessary to use older drivers on windows as well. The problem here is that the newer kernels aren't supported by the proprietary drivers for the older R600 cores (and older) so the only way to go with those is the open source drivers. I'm not sure how to do it on Pardus, but you can get some decent performance (even 3D) out of those old AMD cards with the open source RADEON drivers.

Just so everyone knows, I use a Nvidia GTS 250 because I generally use the proprietary drivers, and as I said before they generally perform better. I'm not a fanboy either way.

For loads of info on all this stuff check out www.phoronix.com. You'll have to do a bit of searching to find all the info cause it's in lots of different articles.

Perhaps someone knows how to use the latest Radeon open source drivers for those R600 cards and older, so that it isn't necessary for the people with problems to upgrade. (depending upon usage of course)

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo is a link of a how to.

I can't say for sure, but between the X1000 and the HD2000 cards is when AMD bought out ATI or slightly before. Since that time AMD/ATI has made a huge come back and actually started working with the Linux world (when it was ATI they shunned Linux) so it has all pretty much been rewritten and built up from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if that is also why support for those cards was dropped.

Nvidia dropped support for old cards as well (stop making new drivers for them) so you have to use old ones that aren't very good like the Nvidia chip on my wifes laptop. (can't remember what it is at the moment. But it is older and the open source drivers is virtually the same but supports more)

Edit: could try adding the testing or dev repos to get the latest, but eventually it should get into the official repos either way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:07:46 AM by Duskao » Logged
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »

Well I'm new to Linux also and I've had nothing but trouble with ATi no matter what Distro I used.. I just finally gave up and switched to Nvidia and haven't had a problem ever sense. So to me, it seemed like ATi was a bit lacking when it came to Linux and the drivers... not sure if you're an ATI/AMD fan, but as for me, I'll never go back. (I just said what I said out of personal experience.)

It's about timey the recognized their short comings when it comes to Linux and their drivers, that's a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:34:02 AM by Joseph » Logged

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »

The only remark I can make is:
The Asus EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) is showing in System Settings > Desktop Effects >
Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:
This is with the fglrx driver
While the nVidia GeForce 210 512MB and nVidia NX6200AX-TD256H has all the desktop effects.
This is with the nvidia-current driver.

I still have to test the nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB. No desktop effects with the nvidia173 driver 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 13:57:43 PM by atolboo » Logged
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 21:26:21 PM »

atolboo, can you run 3D applications (google earth, alien arena, nexuiz) with your 5450? Seems odd you don't have desktop effects with a newer Ati card with recent fglrx drivers. Have you had any luck with it on a different distro?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 21:55:10 PM »

atolboo, can you run 3D applications (google earth, alien arena, nexuiz) with your 5450? Seems odd you don't have desktop effects with a newer Ati card with recent fglrx drivers. Have you had any luck with it on a different distro?
Thanks and I will try.

I have organized this Asus EAH5450 in order build >a GoogleEarth6 package for P2011-x86_64 for ATI<.
The x86_64 version for nVidia-current was successful and could be installed until ~ 2 days ago.
And at the moment I am busy with this new GoogleEarth6 version which Google has released in the past 2-3 days.
So I think testing with another distro will be in the far future as there are only 24 hours in a day.
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:36 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.
Needing to spend more of my time learning Pardus rather than wrestling with ATI I found a new Asus EN8400GS real cheap and installed it.
It runs just great for what I do! (I'm not a gamer)
I will be using the old ATI in another machine so I still hope to find a way to make it run satisfactorily.
Also, while trying to find a different video card I ran across my old ATI HDTV Wonder card and just for kicks thought I'd check it out with the new Asus card in my machine and it runs great on Windows 7 using just the native drivers. T.V. now! But on the wrong O/S.  Angry
I haven't been able to run it on the Pardus yet but I have other more important things to tend to for now. I really like Pardus and I hope to see it eventually run anything that Window will run so I'll be re-visiting this later.
UNBELIEVABLE difference on how well Pardus runs with the 8400 card! As far as I can tell it seems that everything is working as it should using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »

a new Asus EN8400GS
To make things clear.
The EN8400GS has nothing to do with ATI as this card is equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS chip.
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 19:10:08 PM »

Glad to hear it's working well and that your happy with your new card.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: