Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:54:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Benefits - 64 Bit Over 32 Bit
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Benefits - 64 Bit Over 32 Bit  (Read 2045 times)
BellaPup
« on: March 13, 2011, 17:19:48 PM »

I have 2 PC's that are running 64 bit AMD's, I was just wondering what exactly are the main benefits of installing Pardus 64 versus 32? I know there are some pisi packages not yet available for 64 (wine) but are we talking a noticeable speed boost, for like file transfers and just overall system responsiveness? I have read some things on the net, some tied to Ubuntu, that suggest that 64 bit installs are not really beneficial overall - and that may be tied to 64 bit packages not running as smoothly as 32's.

Some opinions please  Smiley

-Hunter-
Craig
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 17:31:51 PM »

I started with 32 bit Pardus and then installed 64 bit, which I'm running now. I haven't measured anything but I really can't see a difference in performance. I have less than 4 Gigs of RAM though too. If you have over 4 Gigs, any differences might be more noticeable. 
BellaPup
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 17:43:11 PM »

I'm running 2 gig on the x2 and 6 on the quad core. I had 64 bit on the quad and went to 32 and noticed no real diff short term, but have not done enough to make an accurate judgment. I was going to put 64 on the x2, thought it would benefit my large amounts of data being copied.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 20:47:33 PM »

I have not noticed any real difference in 32/64 with any of the various distros.  This is the argument that the guys who only have 32 bit versions use.  They may be right, but are under heavy pressure to produce a 64.

The new 64s say those smoothness problems have been fixed for a while now and that you should use it if you can.
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 23:46:51 PM »

I've used both 32-bit and 64-bit and I haven't noticed any big differences between the two. Some programs however, like Google Earth and others don't work for me on the 64-bit Pardus, so I'm sticking with 32-bit until they get the bugs out or some better packages are built.

Performance wise, there really isn't any difference, if anything, it feels like 32-bit is a bit snappier, but I haven't done any benchmarks.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 14:37:30 PM »

I've used both 32-bit and 64-bit and I haven't noticed any big differences between the two. .........
I fully agree with this.
I need both of them in order to build PiSi packages for both systems.
BellaPup
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 15:49:57 PM »

Thanks All for your input!! I'll be using the 32 Bit version due to package availability / stability  Smiley

Side Note: First day back at work under Day Light Savings - ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
What a joke  Angry , now the body's in shock. Law (2) pending in Colorado to do away with it, hope one passes  Smiley

http://www.denverpost.com/legislature/ci_16803353
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 16:54:27 PM »

now the body's in shock.
I hope it doesn't end with

....... under Day Light Savings - ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
>We< still have Winter Time.
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 23:30:27 PM »

now the body's in shock.

....... under Day Light Savings - ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
>We< still have Winter Time.

The United States is still under "War Time", that is how Daylight Savings time originated, we started this back in WWII and never changed the law.... I wish they would though. Sad

SW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 23:52:10 PM »

I personally prefer summer time because it is longer bright!
If somebody will ask me they can keep summer time also in winter  Grin
Craig
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:36 AM »

I really don't mind either in and of themselves. It's the changing that my body doesn't like especially when it's from ST to DST.
BellaPup
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »

It's the changing that my body doesn't like especially when it's from ST to DST

Same here... It does me in for weeks  Sad   If I had a choice though, like SW, it would be DST all year through.

LOL  Cheesy  I sure as heck hope not atolboo, but I bet a vaca around your way sure would help!
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »

32-bit Pardus in the spring...

64-bit Pardus in the Winter.... don't ask why, just accept it.  Cheesy

BellaPup
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 20:01:02 PM »

32-bit Pardus in the spring...

64-bit Pardus in the Winter.... don't ask why, just accept it.

Perfect, I just installed 32 and it's dawning spring  Cheesy

The eternal 64 question:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/15/64_bit/
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 18:54:40 PM »

With all due respect to The Register, the author is just plain wrong on this question.  You will notice a real performance difference with a 64-bit OS if you do some very resource intensive processing.  For example, 3D video rendering is one area where you can really see a difference.  This is why many gamers as well as many artists demand 64-bit.  I notice building pisi packages was mentioned.  Some compilations do run faster, others don't.

It really depends on what you are using your computer for.   If you mainly do casual web browsing, e-mail and the like you won't see a difference.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: