Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:18:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus 2011 + XFCE [Nusrat] released
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2011 + XFCE [Nusrat] released  (Read 6769 times)
John A
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »

I guess it come in may, june or maybe july.
That long?  Wow!  

Maybe it is time to install 2011.0 rather that wait for 2011.1?

I just guess that of course. But as far I know they have not moved over all the programs that was avaible in Pardus 2009.2 to 2011 yet.
Like Licq (ICQ clone) for example and some other applications. And they have some popular request to deal with like Gyache Improved, Koffice and so on that many wants also. And normal bugfixes to.
I would prefeer they would give priority to that before they release a new version to fast.

If look at previous Pardus releases it take about 4 to 6 months between the releases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_%28operating_system%29#Release_history

So I suppose it be around same timeline this time to.

I think its often to much focus in the Linux communitys in general on the next version rather than the current one. Smiley
In the Windows world its little different. They users are happy with Windows 7 and dont realy wait to much at Windows 8.

But in any case Pardus 2011.1 will not be any totaly new version. I would describe it as a 2011 with a service pack 1.
So if you have installed 2011 in the computer you will get the 2011.1 with the ordinary Pisi updates.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:09:07 AM by John A » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

If look at previous Pardus releases it take about 4 to 6 months between the releases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_%28operating_system%29#Release_history
Thanks for that time line.  I have been using this one -- http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=pardus&month=all&year=all -- with the idea that something is going to happen here at the end of March.

So if you have installed 2011 in the computer you will get the 2011.1 with the ordinary Pisi updates.
I was just trying to avoid the extra 2 months of regular updates since January plus the upgrade to KDE 4.6.
John A
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

Thanks for the Distrowatch link. Its possible that they will release Pardus 2011.1 faster than I think when read that.
I guess we will wait and see.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 21:25:46 PM »

i deleted link of nusrat. may be he cant realised that nusrat is a museum ship about wwI. cos i cant find any other sensible answer.

I was surprised to see the turn taken in this discussion thread, and (like golge and Michiel) am puzzled as to what's going on. Since it appears that Craig has left, we can only guess ... However, my guess is that it may have something to do with the name of the new Xfce release.

After doing some searching via Google (and with the help of Google Translate), I found the following:

This version is the name of the 18 March Martyrs' Day, within the meaning Nusrat ship is mine.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/494unv7

(Google Translate version of this original Turkish page:

http://comakp.blogspot.com/2011/03/pardus-2011-xfce-nusrat.html )

----- Some background information (in English) -----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusret_(ship)
(Brief) Wikipedia article on the ship Nusrat

http://tinyurl.com/4z675lv
(Brief) Wikipedia article on Martyrs' Memorial Day

So perhaps he was offended by the "militaristic" release name and nationalistic-patriotic overtones. I acknowledge that it is a departure from the (endangered) animal-theme release names we have seen from the Pardus project in the past. Since I'm not Turkish, it is difficult for me to put this into context and know whether the intention is militaristic or not ...  (Maybe I'm totally naive, but it appears that the idea of Martyrs' Memorial Day is very similar to the Memorial Day we observe here in the U.S. And IMHO, that holiday is not about glorifying war, but a somber reminder of the human cost of warfare, and a way to remember the soliders who gave their lives in the service of their country).

At any rate, I regret that this happened but I do not believe that you wrote anything inappropriate, golge. So I think your conscience can be clear.

It's probably best to let this topic drop and move on to other things.

< Edit: Changed URL of second Wikipedia article to fix broken link. >
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:10:03 AM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 21:39:17 PM »

The good news is that Craig emailed me he must have misunderstood something, I just registered a brand new account for him and I am pleased to see him back again on board here in the Worldforum.

Furthermore, in general I would like to take the opportunity to state that I really appreciate the friendly atmosphere and helpfullness of all of you in this Worldforum

the strength is within the community

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 21:45:07 PM »

Welcome back, Craig.
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 22:29:34 PM »

Gölge,

I apologize. You didn't do or say anything to offend me. When I don't take my medicine I misinterpret things or read things into something that might not even be there and it's hard to tell. I hope you can forgive me.

I appreciate all your work and I have great respect for everyone working to make the best distro even better.

It's good to be back and I promise I will take my meds consistently from now on.
Craig
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 22:49:04 PM »

i deleted link of nusrat. may be he cant realised that nusrat is a museum ship about wwI. cos i cant find any other sensible answer.

I was surprised to see the turn taken in this discussion thread, and (like golge and Michiel) am puzzled as to what's going on. Since it appears that Craig has left, we can only guess ... However, my guess is that it may have something to do with the name of the new Xfce release.

After doing some searching via Google (and with the help of Google Translate), I found the following:

This version is the name of the 18 March Martyrs' Day, within the meaning Nusrat ship is mine.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/494unv7

(Google Translate version of this original Turkish page:

http://comakp.blogspot.com/2011/03/pardus-2011-xfce-nusrat.html )

----- Some background information (in English) -----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusret_(ship)
(Brief) Wikipedia article on the ship Nusrat

http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Aviation_Martyrs%27_Monument#Commemoration_day
(Brief) Wikipedia article on Martyrs' Memorial Day

So perhaps he was offended by the "militaristic" release name and nationalistic-patriotic overtones. I acknowledge that it is a departure from the (endangered) animal-theme release names we have seen from the Pardus project in the past. Since I'm not Turkish, it is difficult for me to put this into context and know whether the intention is militaristic or not ...  (Maybe I'm totally naive, but it appears that the idea of Martyrs' Memorial Day is very similar to the Memorial Day we observe here in the U.S. And IMHO, that holiday is not about glorifying war, but a somber reminder of the human cost of warfare, and a way to remember the soliders who gave their lives in the service of their country).

At any rate, I regret that this happened but I do not believe that you wrote anything inappropriate, golge. So I think your conscience can be clear.

It's probably best to let this topic drop and move on to other things.

i think there is a misunderstanding about google translate cos nusrat is not a Martyrs' Day name. it is a museum ship about wwI which served at this war. every person visiting Gallipoli sees fearce of war clearly.

with saying "name of the 18 march Martyrs' Day" it means in the memory of 18 march also release date. on the other hand Martyrs' Day is a day which Turks and Anzaks memorialize together on Galipoli, so i think there is no ultra-nationalist feelings under name selection. contrary it can be only peaceful feelings. but i guess they cant realise it can be misunderstand.

so i guess the real guilty is google translate Smiley before trusting google translate we must ask each other...

gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 22:49:31 PM »

Gölge,

I apologize. You didn't do or say anything to offend me. When I don't take my medicine I misinterpret things or read things into something that might not even be there and it's hard to tell. I hope you can forgive me.

I appreciate all your work and I have great respect for everyone working to make the best distro even better.

It's good to be back and I promise I will take my meds consistently from now on.
Craig

no problem mate...

hokie47

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 16:23:56 PM »

Gölge,

Craig

Craig,
Your not alone. I think we all share your recent experience. Myself too many times. Sometimes I don't know which command has got me in more trouble send or post.  Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 17:14:49 PM »

Gölge,

Craig
I had to laugh!  You too!   Grin  Currently, I'm weaning off, so if I seem a bit edgy....
Good to see you back, Craig!
Warmest regards, LIsa Marie
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 17:44:50 PM »

I think Craig left for the second time and has not come back -- at least not as Craig. 
Joseph
Pardus User
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 23:44:21 PM »

Craig has transformed into a Lion, a LEO LION!

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 00:18:19 AM »

Grin
Yep, that's what I understood after reading this whole thread for the first time today.   That reminds me, I need to change my avatar to my gray-coloured kitty cat.  Often times she reminds me of PiSi cat.  Gray goes with the current Pardus release.
Lisa Marie
theGryphon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 17:21:37 PM »

Big thanks to Chomak team for the XFCE release!
However, while being a Turk, I must say I did not like that "Nusrat" was chosen as the release name. 1) it is not familiar for any non-Turkish person, 2) if you do Google search, all you find is references to some Muslim persons, 3) even when a person realizes it's after the ship Nusret, it echoes War and Turkish Nationalism. At the end, it is an absolutely misplaced and wrong choice for the name of a Linux release which is to be available worldwide (it'd be OK if it was to be used by a handful of Turkish people). I don't know whose idea it was but nothing came up out of all the beautiful, nicely resonating Turkish names (out of either the Felidae family, or out of Seamanship)?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: