Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 20:34:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  XFCE or Gnome with 2011
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XFCE or Gnome with 2011  (Read 1914 times)
Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 18:21:26 PM »

I have noticed that Gnome and XFCE are both in the repos of 2011. I'm just wondering what the proper way of installing the Gnome and XFCE desktop's are in pardus. I'm used to packages for installing DE's not each file separately. My wife has an older laptop that runs KDE 4.5 a bit slow (AMD 2800+, 512 RAM) and Gnome and XFCE seem to work better on it from other distros.
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 21:10:16 PM »

I have noticed that Gnome and XFCE are both in the repos of 2011. I'm just wondering what the proper way of installing the Gnome and XFCE desktop's are in pardus. I'm used to packages for installing DE's not each file separately. My wife has an older laptop that runs KDE 4.5 a bit slow (AMD 2800+, 512 RAM) and Gnome and XFCE seem to work better on it from other distros.

there is an project for multi-desktop support for pardus. fluxbox, lxde, xcfe beta versions of pardus has already released. gnome in process i guess. you can find pardus +xcfe release here... but do not forget it is still beta.

on the other hand if you dont wanna wait gome project, you can install gnome packages via pisi.

-Add correct gnome depot to your system.

Code:
32Bit: sudo pisi ar gnome http://gnome.brkclskn.org/2011/i686/pisi-index.xml.xz -y
      64Bit: sudo pisi ar gnome http://gnome.brkclskn.org/2011/x86_64/pisi-index.xml.xz -y

-Add gdm user ve group to your system

Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/groupadd -g 114 gdm
      sudo /usr/sbin/useradd -c "GDM" -d /var/lib/gdm -s /bin/bash -u 105 -g gdm gdm

-Update your system

Code:
sudo pisi up -y

After installation:

-install pardus-default-settings-gnome package

Code:
sudo pisi it pardus-default-settings-gnome

-Only base packages installed with codes above, to install all pacakages;

Code:
sudo pisi it -c gnomeproject -y

-Finally restart your system and on gdm screen select your session type "GNOME" and login...

Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »

Great, thanks. I'll have to take a look at this. With the XFCE beta project, does it use the same official pardus repos or do you supply your own or a mix of both? Thanks again for all the info.

Duskao
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 00:06:14 AM »

Does anybody know if the gnome project is working on Gnome 3? I was fiddling with Fedora 15 the other day and I found it to be a very smooth, sleek, and very productive/efficient desktop. The only problem... it's not pardus Cheesy. Of course it's offsetting at first but it is very useful and productive if that's what you are looking for. Here is a good review so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBXc3IGRBw

Certainly worth checking out. The live cd works well also. Gnome 3 doesn't seem to work on a Vbox as it is too intensive, like compiz or kwin.

Let me know what you guys think.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

Let me know what you guys think.
Sorry, I am too busy building PiSi packages to have a look at Gnome Embarrassed
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: