Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:26:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  A large update package release tonight.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A large update package release tonight.  (Read 2365 times)
John A
« on: March 23, 2011, 13:08:11 PM »

A long list here:
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2011-March/002148.html

A - Added
U - Updated
S - Security update
C - Critical update

Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 13:43:54 PM »

Cool. I wish I had read this before I installed and posted the firefox pisi files.  Smiley
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »

If you haven't updated your Pardus 2011 in a few days, you might want to read the message below about the large volume of new packages being released into the repositories on May 26:

http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2011-May/002198.html
"[Pardus-devel] [2011] New packages to go into stable repositories (2011-05-26)."

I checked my installation tonight and there was an avalanche of updates: 243 packages, with a download size of approx. 610 MB. Even with our (medium-speed) DSL connection, the download took about 1.5 hours to complete. However, after rebooting, everything seems to be working fine (knock on wood).

Just thought I'd mention this to give everyone a heads-up. I regularly check for updates but had not seen any for a while, so this one took me completely by surprise ...

=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 14:43:57 PM »

Just thought I'd mention this to give everyone a heads-up.
My last update is from 01-05-2011.
And my result from
Code:
sudo pisi up -y
is:
169 packages @ download size = 184.64 MB
Total download+installation time with my 20€/month ADSL connection (max. 1.8MiB/s) = 16 minutes Grin
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 15:10:35 PM »

On my pc it took 1 minute or so, to download the updates, with my fibernet connection from telenet  Grin
we are lucky that pardus supports delta packages, otherwise i had to download 1,1 (200 packages) gig instead of 214 mb  Shocked
BellaPup
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 16:01:12 PM »

On my pc it took 1 minute or so, to download the updates, with my fibernet connection from telenet

Shocked

I think I'm jealous..
Kranthi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 18:36:39 PM »

316 packages 350 mb approx.
But the total size of the packages it said was 1.6 GB. I don't get it  Huh?

The Cube
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 18:57:50 PM »

Hi, Kranthi,

The reason for that size difference you're seeing is because Pardus (and PiSi) use so-called "delta" packages. There is a non-technical explanation in the Wikipedia article on Pardus:

One of the most revolutionary and innovative changes with Pardus 2009 is the ability of delta packages, making it unnecessary to download the whole application in an update or upgrade. Consider that the application the user listens to his/her MP3 files has released a new version. It is not necessary to search for, find, download, uninstall the old version and install the new version by clicking many 'Next' buttons. Pardus Package Manager, running on top of PiSi, fetches all updates with the click of a button. In its simplest terms, Package Manager downloads only the 'difference' of the old and new versions, a small delta file in technical terms. With this new feature, updates are now no more than 10 percent of the original package in terms of size. In other terms, Pardus 2009 is the best friend of users with limited internet connectivity, preserving their quota, and as such is a model of efficiency, although delta files have been used by other distributors already.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_(operating_system)

I'm also a Fedora user, and Fedora switched over to using delta .rpm packages a few years ago. I believe that openSUSE and some other distros use delta packages as well.

HTH,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 00:07:14 AM »

Shocked

I think I'm jealous..

Don't be  Wink In belgium we have indeed a very fast down and upload speed. But we are, as far as i know, the only country who has a download limit  Sad e few months ago, I had al limit of 12 gig. Now we upgraded, but there is still a limit, and if you share youre internet with 6 people at home, its very easy to reach the download limit.
BellaPup
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »

I had al limit of 12 gig

Gotcha on that. What is your rated download? With Cable Broadband I share bandwidth with the neighborhood, I have a download speed of 12Mbps that actually stays pretty constant when ever I check it on http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/, upload is 3Mbps. I do not have a limit per-say but it is known that Comcast throttles back those that are high on there downloads, what that point is I do not know.
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »

I tested and got a down down speed of 30mbs and an up speed of 1.8 mbs
but it is known that Comcast throttles back those that are high on there downloads, what that point is I do not know.
I think that is pretty much the same as a download limit  Wink if i download more than 12gig, telenet slows down my connection. wich makes surfing on the internet very uconfortable, cuz it cant for example load youtube video's anymore  Embarrassed.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »

My resuslt from here with
my 20€/month ADSL connection (max. 1.8MiB/s) = 16 minutes Grin
and Choose Location: NEW York, NY is 14.43Mbps/0.93Mbps download/upload ( with NO limit).
And right now a new ( independent) fiber optical network is currently been put in the ground.
The first subscribers will get activated the 3th week of June.
And then I get the option between:
1. 39 channel analog/DVBC TV + telephone + 50MBs/50MBs (400Mbps/400Mbps) upload/download @ 55€(78USD)/month
2. 39 channel analog/DVBC TV + telephone + 10MBs/10MBs (80Mbps/80Mbps) upload/download @ 40€(57USD)/month
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 22:01:03 PM »

And I'll probably just order the DVD when it is available.  I have been having lots of problems with AT&T and our land line since March.  In middle of night, our phone chirps twice every few minutes, which it only does this when AT&T does a line test.  I get up  and pick up the phone, and the line is either dead or drops out with a crackling noise.  It doesn't suprise me as they have put all their money into Uverse, but quality dropped way down when SBC changed to AT&T a few years ago, especially concering dropped connection problems.
I look forward to trying the next release come July!
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: