Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 00:06:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [Solved] 63 updates available: "upgrade not possible"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Solved] 63 updates available: "upgrade not possible"  (Read 1561 times)
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:54 AM »

Seeing that there were a lot of updates just released, I opened the Package Manager for 2011, selected the updates tab, waited, finally saw 63  items. I selected all packages and clicked "Upgrade Package(s)" -- but a message appeared "Upgrade not possible."

So I try "pisi clean" and then "pisi upgrade." Here is the result:
Code:
Updating repositories
Updating repository: pardus
pisi-index.xml.xz.sha1sum      (40.0  B)100%    227.24 KB/s [00:00:00] [complete]                       
pardus repository information is up-to-date.
Updating repository: PardusUser
pisi-index.xml.xz.sha1sum      (40.0  B)100%    276.76 KB/s [00:00:00] [complete]                       
PardusUser repository information is up-to-date.
Updating repository: Devel Rep
pisi-index.xml.xz.sha1sum      (40.0  B)100%    274.90 KB/s [00:00:00] [complete]                       
Devel Rep repository information is up-to-date.
Safety switch forces the upgrade of following packages:
busybox  dhcpcd  timezone                                                                               
Dependency poppler version >= 0.16.3 of texlive-bin cannot be satisfied
System error. Program terminated.                                                                       
Upgrade is not possible.                                                                                 
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.                                                                 
Use --debug to see a traceback.

pisi --debug
Code:
Program terminated.
No command given                                                                                         
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.

This reminds me of the early days of urpmi in Mandrive. Dependency issues. I've tried to separate texlive-bin, busybox, dhcpcd, and timezone for installation, but none will install.

So, next I "pisi rebuild-db" but that does not allow the upgrade to take place.

Finally, I disable the Developer Repository that I had install to attempt to get gscan2pdf. I update the repositories, and WHAM, it works. I'm being updated/upgraded as I type.

I just wish pisi had given me information beyond "Upgrade not possible," "Please use 'pisi help' for general help," and "Use --debug to see a traceback."

One other minor thing: Why does'nt the pisi alert in the panel alert me to updates? It did ... once, but it seems I have to manually go after them with the GUI or terminal.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:13:44 AM »

I have only 55 updates and they're downloading now. I have two repositories. Do you have more?

Edit: Are you using 2009?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:16:40 AM by Craig » Logged
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:48 AM »

Craig,

I'm using 2011 and two repositories: Pardus and Pardus User.

It has been a while since I've gotten updates. I've not been using Pardus full time due to the lack of gscan2pdf and glabels. And, as I say, the update notification device in the panel apparently is not functioning, so It's only when I get curious and do a manual check - or see a note such as the one you posted about the large flock of updates - that I get the updates.

David
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 15:38:01 PM by DavidD » Logged

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:25 AM »

I think John posted the flock of updates. Smiley I don't know what to tell you. Do you have PiSi set to check for updates every so many hours? Not using Pardus on a regular basis would explain the 63 updates.

Why did you post "Solved"? Is it solved?
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »

David,

I'm still downloading. I'll leave it to the experts to help you.

Craig
John A
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »

I just run the update package now. It was no problem for me. I guess some experts here can help you.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »

The problem is caused by:

:
and
I expect Devel Rep to be the source of the problem Huh?

To clear this, could you give the result of
Code:
pisi lr
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 13:44:04 PM »

The problem is caused by:

:
and
I expect Devel Rep to be the source of the problem Huh?

To clear this, could you give the result of
Code:
pisi lr

atolboo,

Yes, the Devel Rep was the problem. Marking it inactive allowed the upgrade when all else failed.

Code:
# pisi lr
pardus [active]
   http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/stable/x86_64/pisi-index.xml.xz
PardusUser [active]
   http://pakete.pardususer.de/pardus-2011/x86_64/pisi-index.xml.xz
Devel Rep [inactive]
   http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/devel/x86_64/pisi-index.xml.xz

DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 14:10:46 PM »

I think John posted the flock of updates. Smiley I don't know what to tell you. Do you have PiSi set to check for updates every so many hours? Not using Pardus on a regular basis would explain the 63 updates.

Why did you post "Solved"? Is it solved?

Craig,

It is solved. Really. When I began writing, I thought I'd be asking for help, so I documented the steps I already had taken. When unchecking the Devel Rep solved the problem entirely, I decided, rather than deleting what I had written, to submit it as "solved" in case someone else had the same problem.

The Devel Rep was enabled shortly after I starting to use Pardus (February 20). I had asked for gscan2pdf and somehow thought that it might show up there prior to release so I could be a "requester-tester."  Coincidentally, I have just received notice that it is now in the repos.  (Maybe my question a few hours ago about why the release seemed to be stalled resulted in some attention to it.)

Pisi was set to check for updates every 360 minutes, which must be default. I have re-set it to every 30 minutes. Still, the question: Does that mean that once I log in, Pisi will only check AFTER 30 minutes? or is there an immediate check upon login?

David

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 16:03:28 PM »

Yes, the Devel Rep was the problem. Marking it inactive allowed the upgrade when all else failed.
The problem can as caused by having both pardus and Devel Rep in the active state.
On my i686 and x86_64 system, which I use to build new PiSi packages, I don't have a problem with Devel Rep.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: