Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:34:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Artha Open Thesaurus/Dictionary
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artha Open Thesaurus/Dictionary  (Read 1205 times)
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »

I know about Stardict and Qstardict but has anyone been able to install "Artha" into Pardus yet?

I would love to hear some opinions on the different dictionaries.
I enjoyed "WordNet" very much on Windoze. "Lingoes" didn't work nearly as well but was ok. I use it in Firefox.
"Stardict" on Windoze was challenging at times and I'm not looking forward to it but I will probably try it out  since it's in the repository already.
But from all the reviews I have read online, it seems that "Artha" is really running smooth in Linux and has what I am looking for. Artha also takes advantage of the WordNet database.
John A
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »

Its in the Ubuntu repo and works fine with it when I have tryed. Would be nice to have Artha in Pardus to.
I saw a request for it in bugzilla:
Bug 17649

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:58:33 AM by John A » Logged
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:53 AM »

Don't know if I'm doing it right or not but I hope to have properly requested Artha in Bug #17649.
We'll see how it goes.
Stardict just doesn't seem to be as user friendly as I would like.
I've got to figure out how to get it all set up again with the dictionaries I want to use and I need to figure out how to get rid of all the Chinese writing that shows in the definitions.
I've done this before on Windows but it gets old.
"WordNet" worked well without going through so many setup pains.
I'm hoping Artha does as well.
dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »

I have been using goldendict for long and I am very much satisfied with it. It support a load of dictionary types, including babylon. It is like the replacement of babylon for linux. You can install it from the official repos, have a look.
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »

I am running GoldenDict.
It has a few quirky behaviors that i haven't figured out yet that are  bit aggravating.
For instance, when I set it to load at start and then close to the system tray, it starts well but it won't close to the tray. I have to manually close it at each start=up.
The floating windows acts strange, sometimes coming up when I don't want it. I have to turn it off and then use a keystroke to activate. When set to run like I would like for it to run it pops-up everytime I highlight a word. Different combinations of settings seems to mess some small thing up,
I have it set to work pretty well at the moment but I still have to use a keystroke to get the best use of it. I like it pretty well over all. It's nicely polished, works smooth, closes out of the way fairly well and in general I would agree with you that it's nice.
I'm thinking Artha might do a little better though. I could be wrong though.
I'm giving it a good workout while waiting on Artha and we'll see how it goes in the end.
a.palius
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 22:06:56 PM »

Want to test out wordnet and artha, look here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 17:28:45 PM by a.palius » Logged
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:36:34 AM »

Want to test out wordnet and artha, look here.
Thank you! Can't wait to try.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: