Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 14:03:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  The first real review of OpenSuse 11.4
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The first real review of OpenSuse 11.4  (Read 1295 times)
John A
« on: March 17, 2011, 05:35:44 AM »

It can be interesting to read about the new OpenSuse 11.4 since it have some things in common with Pardus 2011.
I have seen some articles about it, often written that is the first Linux distribution with Firefox 4 and LibreOffice.
But we all know thats not correct of course. Smiley

Anyway here is the first serious English review of it:
http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2011/03/opensuse-114-review.html
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »

Chema is a guy worth reading.  His reviews include both the good and the bad.  And, he seems to stay up to date with the new releases.

The 8 month release cycle was supposed to allow enough time to prevent these types of problems.  From this and other postings, it looks like they got some things they need to fix. 

Have you ever used openSUSE?
John A
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 06:15:27 AM »

I have tryed OpenSuse 11.3 and also the new 11.4
It was to much trouble with Yast2 I (software manager)
Many applications missing there like aMSN. You must looking for repos and add them to get all stuff.

It was to much work so I prefeer more userfriendly distributions.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:46:26 AM »

I liked yast2.  This was on the GNOME version.

The problems I had was with adding and updating software.  Everything was very slow, and there was a lot of it to download.

Adding the extras was a real hassle.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:57:08 AM »

I've tried OS 11.4. My wireless worked with the live CD but not when installed. Also, my monitor would continuously go blank every 10 seconds or so - very annoying. It was smooth and speedy though.
 I had the same problem with the monitor under Kubuntu 11.04 Alpha 2.

By the way, this was the first time ever I've been able to even try OpenSUSE. It just wouldn't boot on my old computer at all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:58:43 AM by Craig » Logged
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 20:27:43 PM »

I've tried it, too. This release gave me networking problems (home server). With every other distro, putting mount statements in fstab gave me access, but this one gives only an error message derived from the recent changes in samba denying access to all but root. The deeper I delved into Yast2, the more I realized I would need a computer science degree to fix that issue. I looked on their forum, saw others with the issue but without solution, and shelved it. I really like KDE4.6 (now 4.6.1), but shares are more important.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:56 AM »

This is the best release they have done, in terms of package speed....
typically though they have now broken network shares
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: