Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 23:15:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Number of Files Copied - Is There a Limit?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Number of Files Copied - Is There a Limit?  (Read 782 times)
BellaPup
« on: April 21, 2011, 15:55:55 PM »

I have seen this in other distro's but I am copying thousands of files (mp3's) and the copy seems to abruptly stop with an erroneous message "completed successfully" in Dolphin, but there are roughly 3/4's of the files that have not been copied.. Is there a limit on how many file/file names to copy at one given time? Why no error?

I am going from a usb external NTFS drive to an internal ext4

Any idea's are appreciated.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 16:23:57 PM »

This is just a guess, but is there an option to "verify" on your copy?
BellaPup
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 16:43:43 PM »

Not that I recall.. I am just doing a "copy" with a "paste into" in Dolphin, I did not see a verify option. Just seems odd that I would need to copy multiple smaller chunks of files just to get them all copied. I can copy the same drive in Windows or Mac with no issues.

Here's a question: When an os is dealing with that many files to copy it will go and, if this is the correct word, catalog the files to copy. What if in my case it is to many.. as in, were does this file copy list get stored? The clipboard, the swap file, ram.. Maybe I am grasping at straws here but. Huh?

It can take Windows/Mac a long while with this mp3 collection to "cataloge" all the files it needs to copy when told to do so but in Pardus it seems to just start copying right away then after a while it stops with 75% or so still not copied - no errors.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 17:37:18 PM »

Just seems odd that I would need to copy multiple smaller chunks of files just to get them all copied.
This might be the best approach for now.  Maybe you found a bug.

Can you get the files in alphabetical order and then do the As, Bs, Cs, etc?
BellaPup
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 18:04:28 PM »

Yep, I can copy them in alphabetical chunks, I'll work on that when at home. I might add that other folders that do not have as many files copied in their entirety. For example; the country, opera, techno folders all copied fine, it was when I got to the Rock/Pop folder, were the vast majority of files reside, is when things went south..

Thanks Dean!  Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: