Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:02:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Ubuntu 11.04 Unity
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ubuntu 11.04 Unity  (Read 2499 times)
John A
« on: April 28, 2011, 17:45:42 PM »

Now I have tested the new Unity desktop. But I dont think its so userfriendly. I have tryed to create a icon for the desktop. Right click with the mouse and drag it out to the screen but nothing works.
I like to have those I use often on the desktop. Like Mozilla firefox. But it seems to be no option at all do do that?
So all applications are on the list on the left side of the screen.
You can go in in another meny there the programs are to but it not working from there to.
The only way I am able to do it is to log out and log in to "Ubuntu classic" and then put Mozilla Firefox on the desktop.
Next time I can chose to log in with Unity again and then I see the icon on the desktop.
The new search function for the programs that are installed not working either. Its supposed be like Nepomuk:
http://nepomuk.kde.org/
But I can not write there and search.

All Unity gave to me was a headache. I hope not KDE will choose this way. I want a computer meny not a blown up mobile phone meny/desktop.
I guess it can be fine in time but its a long way to go for Ubuntu.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 18:22:33 PM »

I have tryed to create a icon for the desktop.
I believe that feature is NOT supported.
John A
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 00:01:49 AM »

I think its correct. About the search function it seems to be a bug. Anyway I am to involved with Pardus/KDE and have not realy time to deal with Ubuntu now.
But its fun to test how other Linux works sometimes. Smiley
I suppose Unity will be more ready in some months or when they release Ubuntu 11.10

* Unity.png (1281.99 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 150 times.)
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 00:04:00 AM »

In my opinion, KDE did it right by offering a netbook and a desktop workspace. A "one size fits all" approach will never be everything to everyone.  

I find Unity especially disappointing since Ubuntu use to be known for its user friendliness.
John A
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 00:12:40 AM »

I agree. You can run the new Ubuntu in "classic mode" if you go and change in the system settings. But Unity are installed by default so I think many will stick with it.
Especially new beginners in Linux that dont know so much how to do.
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 00:52:37 AM »

The classic mode will be replaced in 11.10 by Unity 2D, which is written with Qt .

I agree. Defaults are very important when it comes to new users and first impressions. One of the reasons I like Pardus is that it guides you through set-up and allows you to choose your defaults to a fair extent.

If people miss Gnome 2 or want a usable Unity, they should try KDE.  Grin

The first was made by a guy in the KDE forum. The second, I made with Kubuntu. (Kubuntu is the only KDE distro that has a global menu widget)

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 00:58:41 AM »

You can run the new Ubuntu in "classic mode" if you go and change in the system settings.
I believe that option is going to go away.

Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »

You can run the new Ubuntu in "classic mode" if you go and change in the system settings.
I believe that option is going to go away.

It's there more for people who can't run Compiz . It'll be replaced, for that purpose, by Unity 2D in 11.10. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:33:48 AM by Leopardus » Logged
John A
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:38:16 AM »

It seems like the search option works after all. I am used to click on that with  a left click with the mouse so you get a indication like a blinking line or something, that its active so you can write a word and then search with the magnification glass.

But you will not using the mouse at all. Just write with the keyboard when the meny is open. It take some hours to find that out..
The symbol beside sök=search that look like a magnification glass seems to have no function at all.
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »

It's not very intuitive. Many people will just think it's broken.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

Or consider Xfce.  It is a lot like Gnome 2.
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »

Or consider Xfce.  It is a lot like Gnome 2.

I couldn't even open a folder from my FF download window with Xfce. I couldn't drag and drop either. I wouldn't recommend it for the average user.
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 16:53:05 PM »

I couldn't even open a folder from my FF download window with Xfce.
What distro were you using?
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 23:05:10 PM »

I couldn't even open a folder from my FF download window with Xfce.
What distro were you using?

Xubuntu beta 2 with Xfce 4.8. Do you think it was because it was a beta?

I admit I didn't use it that long but I downloaded an ISO with FF. I tried to open the folder containing it and nothing happened. Then, I tried to burn the ISO by dragging it to K3B and nothing happened. I had to open it from K3b. That was enough to have me uninstall it. If it's supposed to work, maybe I'll give it another try. 
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 23:57:59 PM »

Do you think it was because it was a beta?
There is a real good chance that was at least part of the problem.

Give me that final release every time.  Some even say to wait a week or two for the dust to settle before using a new release.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: