Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:44:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  mediamanager is not running KDE3.5.10 Corporate2, try this
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mediamanager is not running KDE3.5.10 Corporate2, try this  (Read 2218 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011, 15:35:52 PM »

I've been thoroughly happy with Pardus Corporate 2, and have been tweaking some of my root files to get DNSmasq working for dial up.  Anyway, I oftentimes open Konqueror file manager as root: press Alt+F2 to open 'run command' dialog box, enter 'kdesu konqueror' and enter my administrative password and do what needs doing, then close konqueror.  After doing so, I can't access my partitions or storage devices, with the message, "media manager is not running".  This does not happen after a reboot.  Another way to get access back while in session is open terminal and enter without sudo
"kded --new-startup"
and this will allow you to once again access storage media.  kded is the KDE Daemon for KDE 3.5.10.  It isn't listed in system services, at least, not as "kded" so this was the only way I could fix this.
Lisa Marie

P.S.  You can see options by entering "kded --help" in terminal, which is where I found this command.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 15:38:44 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 23:40:02 PM »

This appears to be a bug.  I haven't run any program as root and I am getting this error when I click on my removable media. 
Probably a related bug:  I use Konqueror browser and when I click on Settings, Preferences, I get the following pop-up error:
"unable to start the cookie handler service, you will not be able to handle the cookies that are stored on your computer" which then goes to Configure the way cookies work menu, and what is missing is the tab for management, or manage cookies.  Both of these problems go away if I restart kded or reboot. 
Lisa Marie
Sojourner
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »

If I open Konqueror with mouse, and then  right click for Storage Media "open as root", I get "malformed url".

If I open Konqueror with mouse in Super User Mode, then Storage Media is "empty" if I try to "open as root". LIkewise if the Run command kdesu is used. No "malformed url" returned but it may yet be the same issue.

However, if I use your kdesu to konqeuror, then do a simple left click on "Storage Media", it opens fine.

So,  think the procedure "works" correctly on mine. And, it works also with selecting the "options" and completing the entries also in the Run command rather than waiting for the system to return a request for the root password.

I suppose there is some benefit in having a file browser that is also a Web browser - but it escapes me. That it is the default FM in a commercial release is puzzling - but, again, the devs obviously had their reasons.

And - when a commercial release is "GUI'd", the result is that policy/pam - permissions - are entered by someone named  "not you". That is some combinations might not work due to polkit/pam/permissions configs.

So - logging in as root at boot is somewhat a cure (you are working in X anyway right?) and it all opens as it should in that instance. I have another install configured thus. I also prefer a system that boots into the console - then X can be started only if needed.

But - I like K2 and modify as needed.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 15:27:08 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Sojourner.

Well, right now I am trying to figure out what sets this off as it is random, but it must be something. 

I have found plenty of hits for "mediamanager is not running" concerning KDE 3.5.  I have tried one suggestion last month with my first Corporate2 install:
revdep - rebuild
found here: http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/13684/kde-mediamanager.html
and there were some errors given about missing .so's when I entered that command.  It did solve the error during that session, but the problem showed up again in future sessions.

I'm not sure if it is related either, but I have some warnings in syslog:
"libvirtd: 20:35:59.403: 766: warning : qemudStartup:1331 : Unable to create cgroup for driver: No such device or address"

p"cscd: configfile.l:152:evaluatetoken() WARNING: USB drivers SHOULD NOT be declared in reader.conf: /usr/lib/pcsc/drivers/openct-ifd.bundle/Contents/Linux/openct-ifd.so"

I'll have to try some of your commands next time this problem occurs.  I did give user with some admin. rights during install.

Thanks again for your time!
Lisa Marie

Sojourner
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 19:48:28 PM »

I tried again with alt/F2 > kdesu konqueror and it fails about 10% of the time as there is no displayed content. Something amiss, I guess.

I just did another install of K2 on another box and every item in storage media was displayed on the desktop as a "default". That's the first time that happened. There always is the chance glitch, even using the same DVD and box. I would not store critical data on CD/DVD media.

K2 is better with the polkit/PAM arrangement than many others of the GUI type distros. I love the tiny repo. My cataracts are "shaky windows" enough for me, I don't need the GUI providing that. Cheesy So, the older KDE is fine.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 20:34:49 PM »

Bug report written
There, that's better.  (thanks atolboo!)

P.S. Sojourner, I hope you can get your eyes fixed.  My husband had cataracts in both eyes when he was in his mid 30's, a very young age to get them.  A visiting doctor originally from Spain did an excellent job of giving him his eyesight back.  
Cheers, Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 22:03:39 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 21:57:32 PM »

Result "'18461[18461' is not a valid bug number."  Grin

And from Bug 18461:
"I've included a link to the problem I wrote at Pardus forum."
I don't the link Huh?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 22:08:44 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 21:59:11 PM »

Thanks atolboo!  I just noticed my link error. My error.  Grin

Oh, and I placed the worldforum link under:
URL:

I didn't know if that was the correct place for it, or if that field is just for sharing a link to information about software, or something else. ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 22:01:35 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 22:11:05 PM »

Oh, and I placed the worldforum link under:
URL:

I didn't know if that was the correct place for it, or if that field is just for sharing a link to information about software, or something else. ?
I don't know either.
For better readability I always place them in the same Comment field Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 16:23:09 PM »

Yes, I usually do this, too, and after looking at the bug report, the link seems lost (way up there  Cheesy  ). I found this about a bug's life cycle that the URL field is for a link to same bug under another Linux operating system; 'See Also'.

Next time I'll add any discussion links to the comment field. 
Lisa Marie

P.S. Now, time to test if my USB printer causes this problem, too.  I usually have my printer turned off.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 15:50:03 PM »

I've narrowed down what is crashing kded in KDE 3.5.10 desktop. It happens each time I close / exit kppp.  While I'm connected, if I disconnect from kppp I can still view storage media with no error.  It only happens when I quit, click X to close, or Alt + F4 to close kppp that the problem occurs. 

I installed wvdial, which I am running with user's admin rights, and can disconnect (ctrl + c) and can still view storage media just fine, but for some reason, exiting kppp messes up kded.  Still trying to debug this, and wow, I've learned many new command line helps while working on this small bug.  I guess this is why I like some problems to occur in Linux, as it helps me to learn how this operating system works by trying to solve the problems. 
lshal --monitor
is a neat utility.  Cheesy
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 22:33:13 PM »

This is solved, another way until the KDE folks can get it fixed upsteam.
What I did:
Alt + F2
enter
Code:
kdesu kwrite /usr/kde/3.5/share/services/kded/networkstatus.desktop
scroll to bottom and change two entries to false
Code:
ServiceTypes=KDEDModule
X-KDE-ModuleType=Library
X-KDE-Library=networkstatus
X-KDE-FactoryName=networkstatus
X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=true
Now I can tell the folks at the Bug report.
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 16:27:02 PM »

Yesterday I received Pardus Corporate 2 for 32 bits.   Since the 64 bit version has this problem, I was curious if it was also in the 32 bit version.  I did all of the security updates.  I do not have this problem in 32 bit version.  I'm happy!  So, either it is the 64 bit KDE destkop version that has this bug, or one of the security updates fixed it, but I am thinking it is the former, as after doing much search on it, I read more than once that people do not have this problem in the KDE 32 bit version using other distros.  It's nice not to have to use a fix for this.
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: