Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:22:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  As seen on the internet
| | |-+  experimenting with dnsmasq caching and dial up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: experimenting with dnsmasq caching and dial up  (Read 537 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2011, 15:44:50 PM »

Hi all,

I'm always looking for ways to speed up browsing, and have been playing with dnsmasq.  It is meant for LAN, but so far, it is working for my dial up set up.
I followed directions here
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/08/02/local-dns-cache-for-faster-browsing/
using the extra information for DSL customers, even though I don't use DSL, but there are similarities in files that are looked for when using dial up. 
On a side note, one file that Pardus does not come with is /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
I noticed this error a while back before using dnsmasq.  Other distros come with /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and I also noticed a while back an xterm output error that made me go ahead and create this file. This was output:
Code:
opener: received OpenDevice
Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
in parent: pppd pid 10292
couldn't find interface ppp0: no such device
kernel supports ppp alright.
blah blah about kded(1067)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) blah blah
Opener: received OpenResolv
failed to read from /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
opener: received removesecret
Something was obviously looking for it (pppd?), so I created it and entered my choice of free DNS.  The ones I am using are from Verizon.
So far, it is working. 
One comment made at that blog was that NSCD should do the same thing, but I think they cache differently.  Not really sure the difference between nscd and dnsmasq. 
According to the man page for dnsmasq, the cache exists as long as you are in the current session.  Once you reboot, it is cleared. 
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/FAQ
Lisa Marie

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: