Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:34:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus 2011.1 Beta
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2011.1 Beta  (Read 5986 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »

Just found in my mailbox:
Hello,

The Beta release of the upcoming Pardus 2011.1 is now available at:

(Live)         ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/ISO/Live/2011.1/Beta

(Installation) ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/ISO/Installation/2011.1/Beta

The images include support for all officially supported languages
and exceeds the size of a CD so you have to either use a blank DVD media or a
USB flash disk in order to burn and install Pardus 2011.1 Beta on your
system.

We strongly recommend you to verify the integrity of the installation
image with md5sum or sha1sum, to use good quality blank media, to burn
the images in DAO (Disc-At-Once) mode with a maximum of 4X burning
speed for a painless installation experience.

Here are the basic components and their versions shipped within Pardus
2011.1 Beta release:

KDE Desktop Environment 4.6.3
Linux Kernel 2.6.37.6
LibreOffice 3.3.2.2
Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 4.0.1
Xorg 1.9.5
Gimp 2.6.11
Python 2.7.1
GCC 4.5.3
Glibc 2.12

In addition to those updates,

* Lots of bugs have been fixed,
* 64bit Skype package is now in 2011 stable repository,
* 64bit Wine package will be in 2011 repositories soon,
* Now, YALI has the System Rescue mode,
* Work on 2009-2011 distribution upgrade interface is about to finish,
upgrade-manager package will be provided in 2009 repositories to ease the
transition,
* QuickFormat application can be tested now to format USB removable disks
easily,
* For those who do not want use LVM in automatic partitioning, can now use
yali=nolvm kernel parameter.

Keep in mind that this is a beta release and because of the fast development
process, you will get massive number of package updates as more bugs are
fixed.

We'll be pleased to hear about bug reports and enhancement requests
through our bug tracking system[0].

--
Gökçen Eraslan
Happy
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:56:45 AM »

This is GREAT news!
After a couple of months of setting up my 32 bit and getting it fine-tuned I can do it all over again. :'(
But being able to have WINE in 64 bit is the clencher for me! Grin
This time I want to get the partitions set up right!
I thought LVM would be the only way anyone would want to go. Now I'm wondering why they wouldn't but that's another study, I guess.
I would love to see a little better tutorial on setting up my partitions before I install this.
Guess my machine will run all night tonight downloading the beta.
Gotta go make some room for it somewhere.

Great work guys!
Thanks
John A
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »

Good news. I guess especially the 64 bits version of 2011.1 will be ready for the big league now.
(32 bits are already there)
To compete with the other top linux distributions. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:55:32 AM by John A » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »

After a couple of months of setting up my 32 bit and getting it fine-tuned I can do it all over again. :'(
NO this is not necessary the case.
Wait till Pardus 2011.1 has been released on July 4.
After this date your existing Pardus 2011 (including all personal settings) will be automatically upgraded to Pardus 2011.1  Grin

Keep in mind that this isn't the goal of Pardus.
Pardus is a initiative (and payed by) of the Turkish Authorities to make an OS for there country.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 14:44:45 PM by atolboo » Logged
John A
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »

I know it's not Pardus goal to compete with other Linux distributions. But at the other hand it are a Turkish Ubuntu with a Turkish community and so on, so they not living in a vacum isolated from rest of the Linux world:
http://www.ubuntu-tr.net/
http://forum.ubuntu-tr.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6kpfvco8hlu6c07cjqbetiv006&

And the other "big distributions" got Turkish versions to:
http://www.mandrivaturkiye.com/

If you create a larger userbase around the world you will get a advantage in the long run. More people to use it and find errors, write bug reports and request...

If they got all the common applications in the 64 bits version like Wine for example, other than Pardus themselves can promote it more easy in discusions, forum etc.. Smiley
So they compete with others direct or indirect anyway.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:57:19 AM by John A » Logged
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:23 PM »

If you create a larger userbase around the world you will get a advantage in the long run. More people to use it and find errors, write bug reports and request...
I tested pardus AND ubuntu at the same time on 5 different home pc's/laptops (a bunch of medions, a hp and an acer). I tested ubunutu 8.10 9.10 and 10.10 and pardus 2008.2 al 2009 versions and now version 2011. and i have to say that my experience is that i had a lot ( a whole Lotta) more bugs in Ubuntu than in pardus. the only benefit of the 2009 version was that my new hardware (acer) was not supported, so i had to wait until the 2011 version, which worked out of the box on all of my pc's.
I even let my family test those 2 distributions. First I installed Ubuntu on 2 medion pc's, but after 2 days or so testing Ubuntu, they just switched back over to Window$ ( i had it dual-booted with ubuntu). Later i removed ububuntu on one pc and i installed pardus on it. So i asked my brother and sisters to test it again, so they did. The result? they never switched back to windows! because there were no bugs like in Ubuntu and it was more user friendly and worked out of the box!
I also had an old pc running on Ubuntu... First i didn't knew if i had to install pardus on this pc, or not, because Ubuntu was running very slow on it (every time slower and slower), and i had read somewhere that gnome runs faster than kde.  I just thought that my pc was to old, but it wasn't! So when Ubuntu was at his slowest, i removed it and installed pardus. And wonder by wonder it ran so fast, i thought someone installed a new processor in this oldie! It even didn't slow down like Ubuntu, it just ran every day like it should.
Pardus is stable as a rock, runs out of the box and very user-friendly!
I also tested some other distro's like fedora and suse, and had somewhat the same experience as Ubuntu.
So why would someone, in my opinion, use another distro than pardus? NO IDEA!
John A
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 16:33:19 PM »

Yes Pardus 2011 is fine. But if nobody know it exist so then people go for Ubuntu. So little promotion is good to.
Anyway it's little better now. When I first started with Pardus 2008.1 not many have heard of it. Smiley

Not many from english speaking countries anyway.
I still think Ubuntu are little better in hardware detection. I have noticed some bug reports for HP printers (HP LaserJet P1005 and other HP models) for example:

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18261
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=14745

In that area Ubuntu is excellent.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 16:48:21 PM by John A » Logged
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 17:40:35 PM »

I still think Ubuntu are little better in hardware detection. I have noticed some bug reports for HP printers (HP LaserJet P1005 and other HP models) for example:

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18261
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=14745

In that area Ubuntu is excellent.

True, i had to install a plugin in hplip (with command line), to get my lazerjet fully working. Even if pardus recognized the printer.  Wink
John A
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 17:46:26 PM »

In Ubuntu a sort of "pop up" coming at screen and you just answer some questions and install the HP plug-in easy.
I hope Pardus should create some kind of similar solution for the new 2011.1 version . Many beginners have trouble with the terminal/command line.
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 17:53:52 PM »

yes,i have to admit that these little things makes a distro more attractive for beginners  Grin
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:41 AM »

NO this is not necessary the case.
Wait till Pardus 2011.1 has been released on July 4.
After this date your existing Pardus 2011 (including all personal settings) will be automatically upgraded to Pardus 2011.1  Grin

Keep in mind that this isn't the goal of Pardus.
Pardus is a initiative (and payed by) of the Turkish Authorities to make an OS for there country.
I'm wanting to move to 64 bit from my present 32 so I don't think I''ll be able to do this if I go to 64 bit from 32, will I?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »

....... be able to do this if I go to 64 bit from 32, will I?
No, this isn't possible Wink
Leopardus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 23:34:11 PM »

I'm wanting to move to 64 bit from my present 32 so I don't think I''ll be able to do this if I go to 64 bit from 32, will I?

You'll have to do a clean install without formating your home partition. Your data and preferences should be safe but you'll have to reinstall any programs.
Chris
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 17:08:42 PM »

I just hope that eventually we will be able to have Banshee or Rhythmbox fully compatible with Pardus.(ie..Ipod support). That is the only thing keeping me from fully using pardus 2011. while Amarok works with ipod's I like to use Rhythmbox or banshee to mess with playlists and such on my ipod
Glyn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 09:36:44 AM »

Excuse me for not understanding the post above fully, but if I install the Beta now, can I upgrade/update this to the full release after July 4th or will I be stuck with something that maybe isn't as good/stable?

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: