Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:20:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Clearer Print on Web Pages-sub-pixel rendering
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clearer Print on Web Pages-sub-pixel rendering  (Read 1464 times)
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »

Is sub-pixel rendering turned off in Pardus by default?
I have been less then satisfied with the quality of the print on web pages.
I adjusted them to look pretty nice but when I would return to Windows 7 it just looked much nicer than my Pardus.

I learned to live with this until I ran across a site that was just terrible (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/webmaster/quick-tips-web-designers-should-be-aware-of-these-four-legalities/402?tag=nl.e101).

I tried to make adjustments but nothing seemed to work. Determined to do something about it and not being adept at these things I began to experiment around with my font settings in "System Settings".
 I'm running a Dell UltraSharp 17" LCD monitor which has very nice color but this page looked terrible until I made a discovery.

Here's what I did.
 In "System Settings", under "Application Appearance" - "Fonts", I enabled "Use anti-aliasing".
 Next to that in the "configure" box I enabled "Use sub-pixel rendering".
 I chose "RGB" and for "Hint" I chose "full".
 I left the "Exclude range" unchecked because I don't understand that one yet.
This seemed to make a big difference on most all the pages I was viewing but only helped slightly for the one above.

For the page above I had to go into the preference settings for Firefox.
Edit/preferences/content/fonts and colors/advanced.
 Here I unchecked the box for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts...."
Huge difference in my browsing pleasure from these changes!

I am not sure what all of this did and I don't know what to expect down the road, particularly by forcing my own settings on some web pages but for now it's much nicer.
I'm thinking the sub-rendering default setting may have something to do with Microsoft's patents on FreeType technology.

Does anyone have any comments on what I've done?
Any cautions, criticisms, or new info would be welcomed.
For now it seems that my browser display is right up on top shelf with any Windows I've ever run.
I posted this in hopes it might help someone else who, like me, was not very satisfied with the default settings.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 16:48:09 PM »

Old post but not an old subject as lately I have been trying to make the default fonts in Pardus 2011.2 look sharper.  I still do not know why the fonts are so crystal clear in Pardus with KDE 3.5.10 version as they are in Kurumsal and Pardus 2008 and not so in 2011.  Anyway I did try some of the suggestions posted by Freebird and didn't see much of a difference.  Instead, I changed the font.  I think the default is sans serif.  I now have Clockopia for toolbar and downloaded Zekton and use it for the taskbar.  Clockopia and Zekton look a bit similar.  I like them.  My eyes are getting worse the older I get, but changing the font is making a big difference for me. 

* zektonbar.png (17.89 KB, 767x35 - viewed 151 times.)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 19:14:13 PM »

........My eyes are getting worse the older I get.....
This sounds familiar at the age of 63 Grin
I don't have any problems with the fonts on my monitor.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 19:52:37 PM »

After a long use of the monitor , things get blurry , or strained for me ,at <64 plus cataract surgery , I often need help, so I change background colours or vary them wildly ( anything but monochromatic ), or even deny web pages the right to control colours.
Sometimes I even change the fonts size , or to choose bold settings.

I believe one can download and use microsoft's truetype fonts as well for linux...... : http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: